i need a new Compact camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need a new Compact camera

While on holiday my compact some how managed to get a bit of dirt inside the lens, basically its totalled and to old to justify a repair. Now my problem is do i get a new compact like the xz1 or go for a epl2 or one of the other Pens?

I currently have an E520 which im really happy with, would a pen clash and a compact compliment or is there much point to a compact when the pens offer this as well as the ability to add and build the set up?

any info on the epl2 would be really helpful it looks like a cracking camera.

I'm completely unsure what to do so any help would be great
    Chris

Re: i need a new Compact camera

Originally posted by Crippledsandwich View Post
    While on holiday my compact some how managed to get a bit of dirt inside the lens, basically its totalled and to old to justify a repair. Now my problem is do i get a new compact like the xz1 or go for a epl2 or one of the other Pens?

I currently have an E520 which im really happy with, would a pen clash and a compact compliment or is there much point to a compact when the pens offer this as well as the ability to add and build the set up?

any info on the epl2 would be really helpful it looks like a cracking camera.

I'm completely unsure what to do so any help would be great

Hi Chris,

For quality the Pen will win over the compact anytime BUT it is not nearly so convenient.

The Pen is significantly smaller than the E-520 but not to the degree that you can just slip it in a pocket and almost forget about it, unless you fit it with a pancake and have very large pockets! Realistically you will still need some sort of bag unless you keep it on a strap around your neck all the time. If funds will stretch there's the new Pen Mini E-PM1 or Panny GF3, both significantly smaller than the E-PL2 and (with the right lens) maybe truely pocketable.

If true compactness is desired then you really need an XZ1 or LX5. Image quality might not quite match the Pen but then 4/3 doesn't quite match full frame but that doesn't put us off, does it?
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Chris

Comment

Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Steve
          My Flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/HRVVS

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

I went back down to jessops and had a another look at the mft and xz1 and the size is a big factor. And some of the photos iv seen from the xz1 have really impressed me.
            Chris

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X