What would you get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you get?

Having sold off some of my surplus equipment I've got a bit of spare cash. Now, what to buy, a new EP-3 + 17mm Pancake or a new EP-2 + 17mm Pancake + VF2 finder. Would I gain anything by buying the latest Pen or not. I just can't make my mind up, what would you do?

Regards - Paul
    Regards - Paul

Re: What would you get?

As I've stated before, I wouldn't buy anything without a viewfinder! I had great results from my E-P2 but found the blackout-time frustrating sometimes. I hope/presume the E-P3 is better in this respect.
    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
      I had great results from my E-P2 but found the blackout-time frustrating sometimes. I hope/presume the E-P3 is better in this respect.
      Thanks for that, Stephen, that's something else I'd not considered. Maybe I'd best have a play with both.

Regards - Paul
      Regards - Paul

Comment

Originally posted by angelpaaul View Post
        Having sold off some of my surplus equipment I've got a bit of spare cash. Now, what to buy, a new EP-3 + 17mm Pancake or a new EP-2 + 17mm Pancake + VF2 finder. Would I gain anything by buying the latest Pen or not. I just can't make my mind up, what would you do?

Regards - Paul
        What do you "need" from your equipment?

If a viewfinder is not necessary, I suggest an E-P1. Cheap nowadays and provides the same IQ as all the other PENs (EP-3 may have some tweaks).

If you need to attach the VF at some point, have a look at E-PL2 which also offers a built-in flash.
        Very nice camera. Well built and more attractive than E-PL1.
        After breaking through the technology barrier,
        you run into the barrier of accepted wisdom.
        -Yoshihisa Maitani

Comment

Originally posted by zuiko-holic View Post

If a viewfinder is not necessary, I suggest an E-P1. Cheap nowadays and provides the same IQ as all the other PENs (EP-3 may have some tweaks).

I find using an LCD screen in sunlight frustrating if not impossible to use. A viewfinder for me is a must. While I'm working (landscape gardener) or walking I take lots of close-ups of flowers etc. I find it's best to use manual focusing in such cases, difficult to use without a viewfinder. If I go for the EP-3, I'd have to buy an EVF eventually.

I suppose what I'm asking is - Do you think the 'new tweaks' are worth the asking price? Would you see any difference in the end results?

I think an EP-2 + 17mm + VF2 is looking more attractive by the minute.

Regards - Paul
          Regards - Paul

Comment

I have the combination you are seriously considering (E-P2 + 17mm + EVF), and am absolutely delighted. I too take a lot of flower and garden photos and the EVF is brilliant - very bright and as a bonus you can turn it to 90 degrees; so you can get down low by looking down onto the camera which you would not be able to do with a built-in viewfinder. I have looked at the E-P3 specs, but they are not enough to have me let go of my E-P2.
            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul19 View Post
              I have the combination you are seriously considering (E-P2 + 17mm + EVF), and am absolutely delighted. I too take a lot of flower and garden photos and the EVF is brilliant - very bright and as a bonus you can turn it to 90 degrees; so you can get down low by looking down onto the camera which you would not be able to do with a built-in viewfinder. I have looked at the E-P3 specs, but they are not enough to have me let go of my E-P2.
              Thanks Paul, that's really helpful. It sounds like you use yours for the same thing I want to, shots of flowers, bugs etc.

I own an E-5 but it's too bulky for everyday use, the EP-2 combo looks and sounds ideal.

Regards - Paul
              Regards - Paul

Comment

Hi Paul, Yes we take the same type of subjects. I also photograph other people's gardens then make up a coffee-table book for them (via the internet). It's great fun and gives me an extra bit of pocket money to spend on new lenses!
                Cheers,
                Paul
                Paul

Comment

Working...
                X