Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olympus Air A01

Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
    I find that photos which don't look 'sunny' can be improved by increasing the yellow saturation only. This avoids over-saturating other colours.
    By default the colors from Rawtherapee are much more muted both for my Google Pixel phone and my Oly Air. The question which looks most realistic depends on the calibration of my monitor. That, at the moment could be anything. Here are pictures by my Google pixel phone and Oly of the same flowers under the same light, but not the same distance, aperture, ISO or shutter speed.

they clearly look quite different and I'm looking into the details over on my own site as I don't want to spam the forum here too much

Comment

I hope you don't mind me taking the liberty but I tweaked the ORF file you provided with Olympus Workspace by selecting the white balance point (from the roof of a house) to give it a cooler look, slightly adjusted the Tone Curve (RGB, G, and B settings), one notch on the sharpness and a light touch on the unsharp mask, and a couple of notches on the saturation.

(adding the warm filter does bring the cliffs back closer to the OOC rendering but I preferred this).

Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
      Learn something new every day

Comment

that looks really good. I've got a lot to learn.
        I was momentarily inspired by this months challenge and decided to do a beer picture with a bit of untraditional diversity.

Alas, when I honestly looked at it I thought it's not good enough.
        I really need to add some serious lighting like I did here:

That one is not with my Oly, and I don't yet have an ND filter for that... however the month is not over yet... and hopefully I will think of a more creative beer picture that I can do with it.

Comment

My Panasonic 100-400 telephoto arrived and it's nice lens but I'm finding working with it on the Oly Air a bit of nightmare!

Yesterday I discovered that Android updated itself on my smart phone in the night and not only could I no longer understand how to use my phone, but the essential Oly Air app now generates warnings that it was written for an older version of Android and might not work...

PC020202-crop2 by Angelica Perduta, on Flickr

I started taking some photos of a bird in the garden, but Google Playstore cut in, disconnected from the camera and reconnected to the internet wifi to update something...
          It's not just the intrusive nature of Android apps that undermines the concept of Oly Air, but also I found the wifi range extremely limited and easily obstructed the moment I tried to hide the smartphone from sight. It prevents me from using the telephoto lens at a distance. There is inconsistency with the screen reorienting itself, but by far the biggest hurdle is the unpredictable delay between releasing the shutter and the camera actually taking a picture... you can't just wait for the right moment.

I'm also having serious issues seeing what's on the view finder when out in bright sun, so it helped being overcast, but this did reveal how insensitive the Oly Air sensor must be, needing 400 ISO f/6.3 for a 1/500 second exposure at 400mm focal length. Any slower and regardless image stabilization I risk motion blur simply from the bird's own rapid movements!

I do still think MFT cameras lighter weight is a major advantage... this lens being equivalent to a 200-800mm full frame, so now I want a proper Oly camera with an integral eye level view finder... no lag and no reflections.

I gather the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II has excellent DxO rating for it's sensor size and wonder what experiences others have using it for wildlife photography?

Comment

Originally posted by Angelica View Post
            I gather the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II has excellent DxO rating for it's sensor size and wonder what experiences others have using it for wildlife photography?
            I find my E-M1-ii with 100-400 lens is an excellent combination for a whole range of wildlife photography. The close-focus capability of the lens is great for butterfly and dragonfly subjects while it is also very good for birds in Flight (BiF). I use an EE-1 dotsight to help with finding and following BiF

The only limitations are that, being a Panny lens, it does not support the pro-capture mode of Olympus bodies, but I can live without that, and you cannot use 'dual stabilisation' but I find the lens stab. works very well.

Incidentally, I did quite a lot of wildlife photography in NZ a couple of years ago, using an E-M1 with 100-400 lens.
            Mike
            visit my Natural History Photos website:
            http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Angelica View Post
              e something...

use a MKii with the 100-400 for wildlife its a bloody good combo especially when you update the firmware to v.3.01 birds in flight are not a problem . but one word of warning you do need good light to get a noise free shot due to the f6.3 starting aperture . . in bad light it helps to get closer to the subjects .. another advantage of the MKii is it will take the older olympus four thirds pro lenses with no problem or loss of functions using a MMF-3 adaptor and there are lots of cheap lenses on the market my favourite being a 50-200mm f2.8 SWD . total stunner.
              one from the weekend with the 100-400 on
              fancy a chat by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

and one with the 50-200SWD taken through a double glazed window
              only a winters tail by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Comment

Yes agree with the above. The Em1 ii is a superb camera, especially for wildlife (!). Probably only to be bettered by the EM x.

I have both the Pany 100-400mm, and the Zuiko f4 300mm (+the 1.4 Converter). I prefer the latter, but if you need flexibility, the Pany works very well, despite the lack of Pro Cap Low.

I have recently bought the EM5 ii, a nice little camera, but no match for the EM1 ii.

The little Air you have sounds a bit limited for serious photos, especially wildlife...:-)

Having said that you have taken some great portraits with it...
                Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

That's a plus one from me for the EM1 mk2 it's a cracking camera. As Mark said only bettered slightly by the new X but at the cost of a lot of extra bulk and weight.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Blackfox - Nice photos but I think the IQ with the 50-200 is better than the 100-400.

I have the 300/4 (with MC14 and MC20)and the 100-400. I find the former better for birds and the latter for larger animals. Unfortunately the 300/4 has developed a focus issue and is going to have to take a holiday in Portugal.
                    David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Originally posted by Melaka View Post
                      Blackfox - Nice photos but I think the IQ with the 50-200 is better than the 100-400.

I have the 300/4 (with MC14 and MC20)and the 100-400. I find the former better for birds and the latter for larger animals. Unfortunately the 300/4 has developed a focus issue and is going to have to take a holiday in Portugal.
                      oh yes your definitely right on that count and although you get extra reach with the 100-400 im still mulling over whether to simply use the 50-200 +1.4 tc as that gives 283mm reach not really a significant difference and equal to 500mm + in full frame terms . and as a added bonus you also get full IBIS on the body rather than just lens i.s . still early days for me to come to a firm conclusion .. the 300mm f4 is out of my present price range and im sorry to here your having problems with yours

Comment

Working...
                      X