E-M5 Mk III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-M5 Mk III

Looks like the new E-M5 Mk III will be announced on 17th October according to the 43rumor site.

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-e-m5iii...-20-mp-sensor/

Have to say it doesn't sound very exciting.
    Dave

My Flickr

Re: E-M5 Mk III

I'm happy with it being a (large) incremental update to the mark 2 but I wish it had kept the latters (and mark 1's) BLN-1 battery rather than use that from the PEN and E-M10 (according to rumours). Why can an update not keep the same battery as its predecessors? That will be 3 types of battery I have to duplicate now.
    Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
    Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
    Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
    Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
    Learn something new every day

Comment

Given this would be the only OMD body in production using the BLN1 it may make sense to use the smaller battery instead. It might also make the body slightly smaller and lighter.
      David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

They seem to be plugging lighter in there as a feature.
        The rumour shows phase detect focus points - IIRC only the E-M1 series have had those in the past?
        I probably wouldn't bite anyway but I guess its success will depend at least in part on the price.

When the E-M10iii was launched the ii was discounted but I don't remember much of a hike of the release price of the iii over the previous selling price of the ii.

I know that in certain circumstances manufacturers drop or replace parts because of availability more than anything else - I know that supply issues with iPod Classic parts were one of the reasons Apple gave for discontinuing it. I imagine having one battery line for several cameras has all sorts of economies for Olympus even if it's irritating to M5ii owners
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

But will it be free of that Green tint in the EVF?
          What is that all about, E-M1 has it too, find it very off putting
          Think the E-M1 ii had a tint until a firmware update sorted it out

Comment

To quote an interview from the OM-D FB page (from the 2nd half),

One of our other strong points is that we send our engine developers out in the field with professional photographers. This gives our engineers a chance to observe professionals in action, to see how they use their equipment, what they need, what they like, and what will help them to achieve their shooting objectives. This data forms the basis for conceptualising the next-gen engine, which will appear on the scene in a few years.
            So it would seem the engine in the E-M5 Mk III could be the same as the E-M1 II being the TruePic VIII & not the TruePic IX as implied in the rumours, which indicates it will be a 'new' engine, however since the E-M5 II is using the TruePic VII now then it would be new with the TruePic VIII.

Any thoughts?
            Ross
            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
              I'm happy with it being a (large) incremental update to the mark 2 but I wish it had kept the latters (and mark 1's) BLN-1 battery rather than use that from the PEN and E-M10 (according to rumours). Why can an update not keep the same battery as its predecessors? That will be 3 types of battery I have to duplicate now.
              It will be ok for me as I use the Stylus 1 as a spare. BUT I would have prefered the same battery as the EM1.2 (BLH-1) as a block of that is enough for an event then those BLN-1. So unless they have really made some break thru in battery consumption, I think a minimum of 4 per any event.
              * Henry
              * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

First image of it, they say

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-l...ympus-e-m5iii/

Comment

For EM-5 Mk II owners considering upgrading who use large lenses, it's not just the additional cost of a few new batteries, but maybe another couple of hundred pounds for a new battery grip.

Comment

They say hand held high rez

Comment

Working...
                    X