Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Why the E-M5 III is running so late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the E-M5 III is running so late?

Why is the E-M5 III running so late and other Oly news from CP+ 2019 show.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/new...y-not-to-worry

Answer:

because they were moving the bulk of their manufacturing from Shenzen to Vietnam

Re: Why the E-M5 III is running so late?

Yes I just read that too. Quite a good article I thought. I also liked the one on weather sealing too.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Yes, I read that article last night myself. Interesting.

I'm sort of surprised that the cost of manufacturing is that much different between China and Vietnam though. Given the cost of the relocation it would have to be a huge difference. Taking the interviewer's analysis at face value, it seems that the relocation cost isn't just the cost of moving the factory (with all the retraining costs etc), but should also include lost opportunity and market share since it's clear to me that the E-M5ii is by competitor standards some way behind the curve now.

Maybe it'll all work out OK, but I'm beginning to wonder if this factory relocation is another Olympus corporate-level blunder. The impact on the past two years' financial statements is significant and if it's also caused loss of focus on key product sectors then someone should be asking difficult questions.
      Paul
      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
      flickr
      Portfolio Site
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
        Yes, I read that article last night myself. Interesting.

I'm sort of surprised that the cost of manufacturing is that much different between China and Vietnam though. Given the cost of the relocation it would have to be a huge difference. Taking the interviewer's analysis at face value, it seems that the relocation cost isn't just the cost of moving the factory (with all the retraining costs etc), but should also include lost opportunity and market share since it's clear to me that the E-M5ii is by competitor standards some way behind the curve now.

Maybe it'll all work out OK, but I'm beginning to wonder if this factory relocation is another Olympus corporate-level blunder. The impact on the past two years' financial statements is significant and if it's also caused loss of focus on key product sectors then someone should be asking difficult questions.

Comment

I think Olympus are extremely shrewd; they know like all good businesses that if they announce a new product, give details/dates, etc. then the profit margins obtained from their predecessors will plummet.

On the other hand, if they encourage (or don't correct) the belief that a particular model *cough the Pen-F is discontinued, then I believe as we are seeing that, that will keep the price arguably higher than if they had announced a replacement at the same time.
          Chris
          Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK1 | Panasonic Lumix GM1 | Olympus OM2n SLR
          AF Lenses: 12-32 | 12-40 Pro | 14 | 20 | 30 | 50 | 45-175
          MF Lenses: Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.7 | 135mm f3.2 | Helios 58mm 44-6 | Olympus OM 50mm f1.8

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
          X