X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And another argument for smaller sensor

And also a more general discussion of trade offs, by Ming Thein:

https://blog.mingthein.com/2019/02/2...always-better/

Take away: given the correct lens (ideally stabilised to take advantage of dual stabilisation), an E-M1 mk II is probably going to produce more usable files, in low light, than my A7II. Of course, this doesn’t take into account that the bigger sensor is better for freezing action.

Re: And another argument for smaller sensor

Why is it so important to keep on trying to justify the small m4/3 sensor?
    Seems to be a big inferiority complex thing going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tram View Post
      Why is it so important to keep on trying to justify the small m4/3 sensor?
      Seems to be a big inferiority complex thing going on.
      I assumed shutter bugs would like to read a well written, cogent and relatively unbiased essay on the trade offs of format. Clearly I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Internaut View Post
        I assumed shutter bugs would like to read a well written, cogent and relatively unbiased essay on the trade offs of format. Clearly I was wrong.
        Don't take it so personally, it was a rhetorical question and not aimed at anyone in particular.

Just seems to be a big or actually smaller thing to keep defending.
        Don't notice it from those with APS-C format cameras, as a new'ish user just seems a bit strange

Comment

I judge lots of photographic competitions and in response to this:

https://www.duford.com/2019/02/the-p...-qdiIx0N1W3FQY

I wrote the following:

"I am seeing more and more very good pictures taken by people using their phone cameras, drones and even some scanned from slide film / negatives...

Only the images on the screen or on paper count for anything. How they are made is completely irrelevant as once post processing, compression for projection or manipulation for printing, has been done, there is nothing left of those “precious pixels” that the peepers keep banging on about..."

I was quite pleased with the reply it got from one person on FaceBook:

"THIS!! It’s a point that few — often even workshop instructors — fail to point out."

We seem to have become more interested in all the peripheral aspects of photography at the expense of the picture itself.
          Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

That was true in the film and darkroom days too. Camera Club members were always more obsessed with the equipment than the images. I remember one visiting FRPS saying in a lecture that his photography really improved when he started aiming for the lowest marks from the judge!
            Regards
            Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
              That was true in the film and darkroom days too. Camera Club members were always more obsessed with the equipment than the images. I remember one visiting FRPS saying in a lecture that his photography really improved when he started aiming for the lowest marks from the judge!
              Although film and darkroom camera clubs are all but gone, there's is an online community on Twitter, fortunately. It is exceedingly rare for anyone to comment on camera gear, apart from how a particular lens renders, but that's only occasionally. The focus (pun) primarily is on the image and secondary on the emulsion / processing. It's refreshing not to read about MPs, image stacking etc etc.
              Steve

on flickr

Comment

Working...
              X