Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

A Wish List for Mr Watanabe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Wish List for Mr Watanabe.

Akira Watanabe, who is a senior manager at Olympus in charge of development of their E-System DSLR platform, has asked me to create a list of possible feature additions to future cameras and other system products, in order of popularity.

Below is a list of the most common 'wishes' that are frequently expressed. If you have another to add to this list, please respond to this thread and post your wish, or wishes.

Once we have a, more or less, complete list, I will create a poll so that we can gauge and order of popularity. I will be doing a similar project over at Four Thirds User, and the results of the two sites' polls will be amalgamated and then presented to Mr.Akira.

So, here goes - the most frequently voiced wishes that I, personally, recall - include:
    1. Improved dynamic range.
    2. Improved high ISO noise performance.
    3. Improved continuous AF performance.
    4. Improved AF consistency with different SWD lenses.
    5. More fast prime lenses, especially portrait, standard, and wide angle.
    6. Longer telephoto lens options.
    7. Infra red remote control sensor on the back of the camera, as well as on the front (for operation from behind the camera).
    8. Olympus Studio development to deliver live view tethered shooting on your PC screen without the need for a video cable.
    9. Implementation of multi-spot metering.
    10. Focus indication for legacy lenses.
    11. Custom modes save to compact flash card function for easy transfer to other cameras or re-installation after a camera reset.
    12. HD video support.
    13. Replacement of xD PictureCard slot with an SD card slot.
    14. Dual-slot saving, for example JPEG to xD/SD, RAW to CF slot.
    15. Tilt shift lenses.
    16. E-620 or similar sized model with E-3 standard alloy body and weather proofing.
    17. Faster shooting rate (8fps) for E-3 replacement.
    18. More quiet shutter/mirror than existing models (matching the mechanical standard set by the E-1).
    19. More powerful flash with faster recycling from AA batteries.
    20. In-camera wireless connectivity.
    21. Re-introduction of a manual AF mode switch (like the E-1).
    22. Introduction of quick-release camera strap.
    23. Affordable weather-sealed E-System model.
    24. High resolution LCD screen
    25. Red low light AF assist light instead of strobing flash.
    26. Larger viewfinder view.
    27. Wider range of interchangeable focus screens, including a split prism type.
    28. Low ISO, mode, e.g. 50.
    29. Configurable neutral density graduated filter extension to Creative Art Filters.
    30. Level sensors in all models, not just the E-30.
    31. Improved alternative to HLD-4 grip (better construction, maybe alloy) better feel.
    32. GPS add-on for geo-tagging, or maybe built in (higher end models).
    33. Ability to customise file names and metadata in-camera or via Master/Studio for the camera to apply automatically (copyright, name, etc.).
    34. USB-charging of batteries, maybe in-camera?
    35. Firmware update option that does not rely on a Web connection.

So if you have any wishes or suggestions to add, please post your suggestion to this thread!

Ian
    Last edited by Ian; 16th March 2009, 12:45 PM.
    Founder and editor of:
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
    sigpic

Re: A Wish List for Mr Watanabe.

Thanks for doing this Ian

With respect to No. 16 - that would be great, but I think a lot would also like a camera that had the weather seals and not all the bullit proof build!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dbutch View Post
      Thanks for doing this Ian

With respect to No. 16 - that would be great, but I think a lot would also like a camera that had the weather seals and not all the bullit proof build!

Dave
      No problem - I have added your suggestion to the list (NO.23).

Ian
      Founder and editor of:

sigpic

Comment

I've decided to update the list as we go along and synchronise with the list on FTU.

Ian
        Founder and editor of:

sigpic

Comment

built-in radio flash trigger, you just have to buy (cheaply please) combined hotshoe/pc socket flash receivers, and a range of 100 yards please, and running off AA batteries.

and a selection of changeable focus screens (not hard to change already but making them 'officially' changeable with some quality olympus screens would be good, I'd like to see a split screen with 'thirds' lines).
          Last edited by MarkVarley; 16th March 2009, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I have an E1, E330, E520 and an L10 in 4/3 format at the moment and with all of them only use manual mode or Aperture priority. Perhaps this is unusual? I'd like to see a manual, simple, and basic model with an LCD on the top and no pop up flash.
            Plus of course the swing out screen, better sensor and changeable focus screens and much brighter viewfinder.
            Far too many bells and whistles on these gadgets.
            Maybe there is a way to have a basic camera and be able to download customisable firmware to suit your shooting style and habits?

Comment

I do think that separate from this list of add-ons that there is a market for a lowish cost very basic 4/3rd camera
              Based on the E4xx body
              Basic AF
              Centre weighted or full averaging metering only.
              Basic flash sync but no built in unit
              ASM and nothing else - very basic
              B - 1/2000th
              It should sell to photography students and others on a low budget with a single lens
              It then breeds in the mind that the first 'decent' camera was a fine Oly DSLR as well as being what could become a cult item...
              chris
              shetland

Comment

As I mentioned in the thread: What would you like to see from Olympus next? not additions but improvements on the E-3's layout of controls. The positioning of some of the E-3 controls were noted in several photo magazines as being "illogical" and I totally agreed with them.

Steve
                Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
                Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
                My website

Comment

Originally posted by crimbo View Post
                  I do think that separate from this list of add-ons that there is a market for a lowish cost very basic 4/3rd camera
                  Based on the E4xx body
                  Basic AF
                  Centre weighted or full averaging metering only.
                  Basic flash sync but no built in unit
                  ASM and nothing else - very basic
                  B - 1/2000th
                  It should sell to photography students and others on a low budget with a single lens
                  It then breeds in the mind that the first 'decent' camera was a fine Oly DSLR as well as being what could become a cult item...
                  I think that's just too basic to be considered. But maybe something in the not too distant future will satisfy your suggestion?

Ian
                  Founder and editor of:

sigpic

Comment

Could I suggest an ammendement to No 35?

It is the need to have the camera itself connected to the Interweb for download that's the problem (plus the need to have the clunky and otherwise useless Master or Viewer software - in my case both - taking up space on my PC).

Would a better way of expressing this therefore be:

"A firmware update methodology that permits firmware to be downloaded to a memory card (NOT xD!) or PC for subsequent upload to the hardware and which does not require the separate installation of Olympus proprietry software."
                    Hugh of Bardfield
                    Essex, UK
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hughofbardfield/
                    http://hughweller-lewisphotography.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                      maybe something in the not too distant future will satisfy your suggestion?
                      Certainly makes sense as it's surely the turn of the budget entry level models to be updated.

You've done well with that list. Pretty much all the things I've noted that I would like are there and I would like a lot of them so maybe difficult to cut them down to a top few of priority - how many will we be able to choose in the poll? I guess ISO 3200 that looks like 800 and switching xD for the latest SD cards are no brainers that everybody wants!

I would like to add something that relates to numbers 11 and 29. I would like to see the whole mymode system revamped. I don't find it very useful the way it is and would like this improved. The reason it links to 11 and 29 is because I would like this to be integrated into a mymode/art filter/modes/customisable system. For example these custom modes should be configurable and saveable in both camera and master/studio and so transferable seeminglessly between the two. The main point would be that "art filters" would not be a seperate thing but an extension of these saved settings - this is a clear way for them to appeal to advanced users not just as gimmicks. In master/studio there should be an additional interface to produce your own "filters". These will of course be saveable and shareable with all other E-system users and future released cameras as they are part of the new mymode structure. I hope I've been able to describe the idea in my mind well enough in words to be understood. I do think there is an neat opportunity to improve connectivity, configurability and ease of use for stored settings and situations. Mymodes don't cut it for me right now. This maybe also relates to suggestion number 33 as my point is obviously the integration of the ability to save, edit and transfer camera settings both in body and on computer.

I try to put it in one sentence

"Revamp mymodes to include other filters, modes and all settings into a fully configurable and shareable way in both camera and computer (master/studio)"

Otherwise I note this is very clearly a survey for the E-system and not mFT so no point mentioning any mFT ideas that had come to mind. Though I will mention that number 18 (silent shutter) should be a priority for mFT (especially if there is to be a higher end model).

Two other things that have come to mind whilst writing....

1) more pancakes covering a few basic focal lengths to support the size of E-4x0 and E-6x0 (eg 12mm, 17.5mm and something longer than 25mm - though the 35mm is already pretty small.)

2) power cable included with camera like Panasonic FT cameras - not an expensive accessory. This would be even more important if any video capabilities were to be added.

Maybe worth noting that number 6 (more telephotos) isn't only for a more affordable long lens or extreme reach but also to push the potential advantage Olympus has for nature and even sports assuming high iso solutions are forthcoming. Just look at the 150mm for example, genius! So if they were to make more telephotos for me autofocus capabilities of them should be important.

Has adding a HDMI connector been mentioned?

Originally posted by HughofBardfield View Post
                      Could I suggest an ammendement to No 35?

Would a better way of expressing this therefore be:

"A firmware update methodology that permits firmware to be downloaded to a memory card (NOT xD!) or PC for subsequent upload to the hardware and which does not require the separate installation of Olympus proprietry software."
                      Quite possibly a better way of putting it. Also in doing this it should be possible to revert to whichever previous firmware you wish like on a lot of eletronic devices.

Another idea: show time and date on the super control panel for quick reference for non-watch wearers and expand the clock setting to include location and daylight settings - maybe this coincides with gps ideas.
                      Last edited by talepictures.com; 16th March 2009, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Nothing major to add to the list, but I'd rather have dual CF cards than a SD instead of the xD.

Also, a dedicated Custom White Balance button as on the E1 on the E3 upgrade (instead of being a fucntion that can be assigned to the function button) that way I can take a Custom White Balance reading and operate depth of field preview at the same time.

cheers
                        Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

Originally posted by padgreen View Post
                          Nothing major to add to the list, but I'd rather have dual CF cards than a SD instead of the xD.

Also, a dedicated Custom White Balance button as on the E1 on the E3 upgrade (instead of being a fucntion that can be assigned to the function button) that way I can take a Custom White Balance reading and operate depth of field preview at the same time.
                          Fine for E-3 and E-30 but will two CF fit in the E-4x0/E-5x0/E-6x0? Importance of embrasing SD for olympus is for mFT so as not to cripple the cameras and video with xD.

Agree with both otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                            I think that's just too basic to be considered. But maybe something in the not too distant future will satisfy your suggestion?

Ian
                            But Ian, for those of us old enough with hypo stains still on our fingers that was a luxury to have metering but if I read between your lines, hopefully there will be a basic camera at a low price to get 'em hooked young!
                            chris
                            shetland

Comment

Originally posted by Xpres View Post
                              I have an E1, E330, E520 and an L10 in 4/3 format at the moment and with all of them only use manual mode or Aperture priority. Perhaps this is unusual?
                              I've not used anything but manual and aperture priority for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X