PEN E-PL9 Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEN E-PL9 Announced

Olympus PEN E-PL9 Announced - Olympus has announced the latest update in the PEN range, the E-PL9 which now records 4K video, and has built-in Bluetooth.
    https://www.ephotozine.com/article/o...nnounced-31926

Hands on review

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/o...n-review-31928

Re: PEN E-PL9 Announced

Yawn.........
    Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
      Yawn.........
      That was my response, over on DPR. There are just too many better cameras (notably the Panasonic GX80) that can be had for less than this new/old design.

Comment

Paul
        flickr
        Portfolio Site
        Instagram

Comment

I know I'm not the target market for this camera and that I therefore shouldn't have an opinion or complain, but... as an Olympus fan this camera saddens me. It's nothing that couldn't have been released in 2012. Same old 16Mp sensor
          But is it the "same old sensor"? I believe an updated 16Mp sensor was released at the same time as the 20Mp sensor was & since this camera does 4K video then wouldn't that need to have a faster readout than the original?

No, Trump would say "Fake news!"
          Ross
          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

If you don't need 4k video then the E-M10ii is undoubtedly the best option. It's better built than the mark iii and isn't hobbled by dumbed down firmware. It's also got equal or more features (4k aside) than any of the others but is cheaper. Olympus seems to be going backwards!
              Paul
              flickr
              Portfolio Site
              Instagram

Comment

Paul
                flickr
                Portfolio Site
                Instagram

Comment

I just looked up the Sony products (camera sensors) & the 16Mp is listed the same IMX159 as I copied back in 2015, so it would appear to be the 'same old sensor'.
                  Ross
                  I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                  Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                  Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                  Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                  Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

If you don't need 4k video then the E-M10ii is undoubtedly the best option. It's better built than the mark iii and isn't hobbled by dumbed down firmware. It's also got equal or more features (4k aside) than any of the others but is cheaper. Olympus seems to be going backwards!
                    Yup - I just bought a user EM-10 MKii

I read somewhere that the newest 10 and PL8 have sweep panorama - one thing I miss from my Fuji compact but a glance at the 10 manual puts the lie to that and the PL9 manual isn't on the Olympus site yet.
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

I've just read Robin Wong's review on the E-PL9 hosted on Ming Thein's blog:
                      https://blog.mingthein.com/2018/02/0...olympus-e-pl9/

and the Olympus press release
                      https://www.olympus.co.uk/company/me...lease-emea.pdf

and some other reviews and comments (mentioning no sites in particular) and I have come to the conclusion, as have many others here, that this camera is not for me. In particular it does not have a socket for an VF-4 EVF, only has 3-axis stabilisation, and offers a more simplified menu than the other cameras in the Olympus line up - old and new. But as a product for people upgrading from a camera phone (the target audience) it offers a lot of additional flexibility and an increase in image quality in a compact size. The Japanese market is thriving on this sort of stuff apparently and Olympus is top dog.

I think the mistake, and where it is offending die hard Olympus MFT enthusiasts, is not in the product or even the price but in the naming. It is not a successor to the E-PL8. It is the first in a new line of quality consumer oriented cameras and has the potential of selling well in the intended market. Well done Olympus.

Back to the VF-4 and the problem of no EVF. Perhaps the intended market does not include people who wear reading glasses. Even at arms length I can not focus on the screen of my E-PM2. That is not really a problem for the way I use it. I can see that the camera is pointing at the thing I want to photograph, I can see if it is all in the frame, and I rely on autofocus. If I want to check to check the focus, exposure, or set other parameters then I clip the EVF on or fumble for a pair of cheap high dioptre reading glasses.

For people who want an EVF and 5 axis stabilisation (like me) there is always the PEN-F. Maybe a slightly cheaper version of the PEN-F (PEN-F Lite?) with a 16MP sensor is what most people wanted instead of the PEN E-PL9 that we got... and the E-PL9 to have been called something else like PEN E-PX1 or E-P0 to distance it from the existing E-Pn, E-PLn, and E-PMn lines that are no longer going anywhere (the E-Pn and E-PLn replaced by the PEN-F and the E-PMn long dead). Olympus should communicate a clearer strategy on camera ranges; existing lines (E-PLn and OM10) should not come out with newer models that are more crippled than the one they replace and where there is a gap in the market for newer models with reduced specifications these should start new lines that can once again be incrementally improved.
                      Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                      Learn something new every day

Comment

Robin Wong discovered that you can't assign ISO control to any button or dial. Complete dud in my opinion.

I hope that there's a market for this sort of thing in Japan, because I can't see it being too relevant anywhere else. Anyone with pretensions to being a photographer will shun it, but in truth for someone used to smartphones it offers way too many hurdles if all you want to do is post pictures of your muffin and latte onto Instagram. An iPhone 10 will do that job much much better for not a lot more and you'll get a versatile handheld computer and phone for free.
                        Paul
                        flickr
                        Portfolio Site
                        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                          ...Back to the VF-4 and the problem of no EVF. Perhaps the intended market does not include people who wear reading glasses. Even at arms length I can not focus on the screen of my E-PM2.
                          A reverse selfie stick might help here?
                          Colin
                          "Don't blame me..."

Comment

Not at all interested in the E-PL9.
                            My choice would be a grey E-M5 MkII from HDEW Cameras
                            Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                            Capture One Pro
                            My flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Greytop View Post
                              Not at all interested in the E-PL9.
                              My choice would be a grey E-M5 MkII from HDEW Cameras
                              Yea - the E-M5ii is a beauty!
                              Paul
                              flickr
                              Portfolio Site
                              Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X