I don't think the flip-out screen can be described as an "advantage"
        Sorry Paul I had forgotten how vocal about that =Marmite
        Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
        Flickr

Comment

Re: EM10 Mk 2 upgrade

It's the one thing I miss about my E-620!
          Regards
          Richard

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
            I don't think the flip-out screen can be described as an "advantage"
            I would add that any rear screen on a camera could be considered a disadvantage - it's a distraction from taking / making pictures. Get rid of them.
            Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
              I would add that any rear screen on a camera could be considered a disadvantage - it's a distraction from taking / making pictures. Get rid of them.
              Then how would you access the menu's and change the settings?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Steambuff View Post

Dave
                Steve's a back to basics guy Dave. His ideal digital camera has no screen on the rear, has a memory card that fills up after 36 pictures and he won't load the images he takes onto the computer before he's posted the card to a friend and waited a few days for it to be returned! At this stage it's a bonus if all the photos are fogged because he left the memory card on the window ledge for the weekend!
                Paul
                E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                flickr
                Portfolio Site
                Instagram

Comment

Steve's a back to basics guy Dave. His ideal digital camera has no screen on the rear, has a memory card that fills up after 36 pictures and he won't load the images he takes onto the computer before he's posted the card to a friend and waited a few days for it to be returned! At this stage it's a bonus if all the photos are fogged because he left the memory card on the window ledge for the weekend!
                  lol, my sides are splitting
                  Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Steambuff View Post

Dave
                    Check out the Leica MD, a step back to the future, as the advert proclaims.
                    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Obviously I was stating with my tongue in cheek, as it were, however there is a serious aspect. A rear LCD screen can be a distraction for certain genres, eg street photography. I know from personal experience that it's so tempting to chimp the last shot and miss the next. I've done it. It takes discipline and I can see the benefit of a swivel screen that can be reversed to impede chimping. Of course you could switch off the screen, but it means more button presses to make it operational again. But it goes further than this, that being all the information displayed in the viewfinder, again a real distraction.
                      Steve

on flickr

Comment

Right. Er......thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
                          Right. Er......thanks.

I bet that you're glad that you asked now!

Comment

Seriously...

- For street photography then E-M10ii is probably better. The tilt-only screen means that shooting unnoticed from the hip is simple and easy. Doing the same with an E-M5ii is harder since orientating the screen for downward viewing means flipping it out to the side - making the camera twice as wide and twice as conspicuous, not to mention awkward to handle.

- For landscapes the E-M5ii might offer something extra using the HiRes shot mode. However, you'll need a very good tripod and ideally no wind. I've used HiRes a few times for landscapes but the results are inconsistent - you really do need a very solid platform to get the best out of it. I've recently started doing more stacking in PP based on a short burst of shots in normal (no HiRes) mode. It's almost as good in practical terms as using HiRes.

In IQ terms there's nothing to choose between them. The E-M10ii is an excellent camera - probably the best value for money in the line-up. The only reason to upgrade would be one of:

- Hi Res mode (if you take shots where it can be applied).

- Weather sealing.

- Slightly better IBIS.

- Able to take a bigger grip with additional battery pack.

- Prefer/need the bigger viewfinder (E-M5ii has larger magnification but they're both the same resolution). Also worth noting if you wear polarising sunglasses is that the E-M10ii's finder is OLED and so will work in any orientation whilst the E-M5ii's is LCD so it will darken when turned into portrait mode and you're wearing sunglasses.

- Need a mic input jack - might be important if you're into video.

Hope that does help! Apologies for earlier banter!!
                            Paul
                            E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                            flickr
                            Portfolio Site
                            Instagram

Comment

I'd add build quality. IMO the E-M5 MkII is about as good as it's got for Olympus MFTs. I'd say it's even better than the E-M1 MkII because the memory card door lets that body down (slightly).
                              And if you like a 'beautiful' shutter sound the E-M5 MkII is king
                              Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                              Capture One Pro
                              My flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X