Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Will the f/1.4-1.8 XZ-3 have an OM-D sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the f/1.4-1.8 XZ-3 have an OM-D sensor?

The 2013 XZ-3 will no doubt feature the new 1.4 zoom lens, as rumoured here:

http://m43blog.com/2013/01/10/rumor-...f1-4-1-8-lens/

But will it also have the same low light, high ISO, capability as the OM-D by using the technology contained in its big brother's sensor?

Would be good. Needs to keep the flash and hot shoe for an EVF too.

David
    --------------------------
    -XZ-1 * VF-2+EP-9

Re: Will the f/1.4-1.8 XZ-3 have an OM-D sensor?

Originally posted by DJMC View Post

The 2013 XZ-3 will no doubt feature the new 1.4 zoom lens, as rumoured here:

http://m43blog.com/2013/01/10/rumor-...f1-4-1-8-lens/

But will it also have the same low light, high ISO, capability as the OM-D by using the technology contained in its big brother's sensor?

Would be good. Needs to keep the flash and hot shoe for an EVF too.

Very impressive specs for the lens, if they are correct. Hopefully the new sensor will be good, but being much smaller than MFT I wouldn't expect it to match the OM-Ds performance, although the very bright apertures would certainly help in low light situations by allowing the ISO to be kept down.
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Apparently, if I don't comment - then it must be true. Ha!

Ian
      Founder and editor of:
      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
      NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
        Very impressive specs for the lens, if they are correct. Hopefully the new sensor will be good, but being much smaller than MFT I wouldn't expect it to match the OM-Ds performance, although the very bright apertures would certainly help in low light situations by allowing the ISO to be kept down.
        Even though a smaller sensor size, there must be something special about how the OM-D gives such good low light performance? I'm suggesting a "chip off the old block" for the XZ-3's sensor.

Ian seems to agree.
        David
        -XZ-1 * VF-2+EP-9

Comment

Even though a smaller sensor size, there must be something special about how the OM-D gives such good low light performance? I'm suggesting a "chip off the old block" for the XZ-3's sensor.

Ian seems to agree.
          Well yes, there is something special about the technology that Sony has employed in the latest MFT sensors, but unless they have improved the technology still further it remains a fact that a smaller sensor will always be at a disadvantage to a larger one and the size differential between a 1/1.7 inch sensor and a 4/3 sensor is roughly the same as between 4/3 and full frame - or to put it another way, the difference between 35mm film and 6x7 medium format.

Having said that, if the choice was using an OM-D with 12-50mm kit lens at 50mm f6.3, ISO 6400 or an XZ-3 at f1.8, ISO 800, it would be a very interesting comparison!
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

BTW, I've just moved this thread to "Camera Conference."
            John

Comment

You may have noticed I've had many of the E-series cameras now, and used the OM-D 'seriously' at a wedding a few weeks back, having used E-PL2 and XZ-1 at previous weddings.

For me, the OM-D was too complicated for my needs and this is why I have now sold it. However, the low light capability is the one thing I did appreciate, and something I hope to see on the next XZ series camera.

Whatever E-System camera I have had, since owning the XZ-1 is it that which I've picked up 99% of the time. With VF-2 it is unbeatable for what I shoot.

David
              -XZ-1 * VF-2+EP-9

Comment

You may have noticed I've had many of the E-series cameras now, and used the OM-D 'seriously' at a wedding a few weeks back, having used E-PL2 and XZ-1 at previous weddings.

For me, the OM-D was too complicated for my needs and this is why I have now sold it. However, the low light capability is the one thing I did appreciate, and something I hope to see on the next XZ series camera.

Whatever E-System camera I have had, since owning the XZ-1 is it that which I've picked up 99% of the time. With VF-2 it is unbeatable for what I shoot.

From reviews I've seen the XZ-2 already has a remakable low light performance and there is no reason why the XZ-3 shouldn't be at least as good, even before we factor in that rumoured brighter lens.
                John

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                  From reviews I've seen the XZ-2 already has a remakable low light performance and there is no reason why the XZ-3 shouldn't be at least as good, even before we factor in that rumoured brighter lens.
                  Is the XZ-2 sensor different from the XZ-1?
                  In what way?

David
                  -XZ-1 * VF-2+EP-9

Comment

Is the XZ-2 sensor different from the XZ-1?
                    In what way?

XZ-1 10mp CCD Trupic V processor

XZ-2 12mp CMOS Trupic VI processor
                    John

Comment

Working...
                    X