Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's in your camera bag?

I too have 4 levels:

1) Olympus Back Backpack which most often includes: E-5 with 12-60, 50-200 SWD and 50 f/2 Macro along with my PEN and Panny 7-14, Samyang 7.5 and Panny 20 f/1.7

This is my kit for excursions.

2) Olympus DZK shoulder bag which includes my PEN and some lenses.
    Panny 20 f/1.7, Zuiko 14-42 and a manual focus tele like Zuiko PEN-F 100 f/3.5 or Zuiko OM 135 f/2.8. If there is enough space I often include a Jupiter-8 50 f/2 for portraits.

This is my "street" photgraphy kit.

3) Lowepro Nova 160 AW shoulder bag which inludes my E-5 with Zuiko 12-60 and either Zuiko 50-200 or some MF lenses.

I use this combination when I want to carry my E-5 without the need of a backpack or sling bag.

4) No bag. Just my Pen inside a jacket pocket and all the lenses I can fit inside other pockets (usually Panny 20 f/1.7, Zuiko 14-42, jupiter-8 50 f/2 and Pen-F 100 f/3.5).

A lens cloth and a spare battery are of course always included. Charger is a part only of the first kit.
    After breaking through the technology barrier,
    you run into the barrier of accepted wisdom.
    -Yoshihisa Maitani

Comment

Originally posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
      Stephen,

The small bag replacement I think I need is to carry my lightweight kit:

E-P1 17mm VF1, E-P2 12-50 and VF2, 14-150, So I need 3 compartments plus a pocket or 2.

Small Hadley looks very nice but interior is only 7cm wide (front to back) OK for PENS, but you would need to take the VF off.

If your bag is a Small Hadley, it would seem to be too narrow for the EM5 which is 9cm high. Which way do you put the camera in, presuming it has a lens on?
      I've just had a look on it for the label - it says Hadley B/T, whatever that means. I've owned it for over 10 years, so it could be the sizing has changed since.

The internal dimensions of the padded insert are: 13" x 3", and 9" deep.
      However, it's so flexible that these measurements mean little.

I usually use it without dividers. I have a few lenses in pouches loose in the bag, and just "throw" the camera sideways on into the bag, generally on its side rather than sitting on its base.

Because I keep my Millican rather more regimented, using "stubbie" holders for lens protectors, the Billingham doesn't hold much more kit but it does make it somewhat easier to remove and replace the camera without the need for precision placement!
      Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

So Jon, do you think your RuggedWear F2 will wear better than a regular canvas F2? Last time I looked at the F2 I looked at the ballistic nylon version thinking it would stand up better. An F1 and F2 would probably be my choice if I ever have to replace my Tenba Pro-Paks as they're no longer made.
        It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Thats my Lowepro Vertex 100AW waterproof rucksack, excellent product with water resistant zips, and all seam-sealed for weather. I wouldn't be without it. It also carries my 13" macbook for on the go edits. Contents of the above :

E5 body with Sigma 50-500mm attached
          Zuiko 70-300mm
          Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro
          Zuiko 14-42mm
          Zuiko 35mm Macro
          E-620 2nd Body
          Fl36r Flashgun and diffuser
          All the usual batteries, memory cards, cleaning stuff, powerleads, etc.
          Olympus E-5 / E-620(hld5) / E-410 with Zuiko's : 14-42mm f5.6 | 40-150mm f5.6 | 70-300mm f4 | 35mm Macro f3.5 | Sigma 50-500mm | Sigma 105mm Macro | FL-36r
          Macbook 2ghz/4gb/120gb/13.3"
          Lightroom/Photoshop CS5/Photomatix Pro 3.0
          www.dgpix.org.uk
          My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Seonnaidh View Post
            Basically I always have one 'grab' bag. This has always been a shoulder bag because I can access it far more easily than a rucksack type bag and I prefer them anyway.
            I've tried Billingham but much prefer the Domke F2. (I'm now on my third)
            For my E5 kit I have a Lowepro "Stealth Reporter 200AW" which is fine with the E5 and 2-3 lenses.

The bag that I am planning to replace is a "grab bag" for my PEN kit.

I would like it to be as small and neat as possible subject to carrying 2 PEN bodies and 3-4 lenses. If I get something too big I will fill it with stuff and then never bother to carry it, which rather defeats the purpose.

The Domke F2 that you use seems to me to be quite large for your M5 kit. I am considering the Domke F-5XB whih looks OK for the PEN's and, at a pinch might manage the E5 + 12-60 + TC14
            Peter J

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses

Comment

I have a Domke F6 which normally keeps all my kit in, and travels with me when I take the car! It's too heavy to carry far when full, but is ideal to store E620 with 12-60 fitted, also four lens compartments for 70-300, 40-150, 50mm with EX25 in pouch below, and also my soon to be purchased 9-18. If I don't want to take all these out for the day, then it's still a good bag with just one spare lens and pockets for water bottle and lightweight waterproof. The front pocket takes filters, batteries, lens clothes etc, and spare cards are in a wallet tucked down the side of the lens insert.

For a much smaller set of kit I use a Domke F10 JD which holds camera and any lens combination, along with a small lens extra alongside.

Then if I want not to look too obvious I have a Kipling Fairfax handbag which takes E620 and 12-60 in the main compartment along with 40-150 in one end pocket, purse in the other end pocket and space in the front pockets for all sorts of other stuff.

If I just want the camera alone I usually keep it in an optech neoprene case to protect it.
              Cindy

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
              Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
              Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."

Comment

DavidM,
                I don't think the 'Rugged Wear' version of the F2 will enjoy a greater longevity, but for me and my working environment the extra waterproofing of the 'waxed' finish should help keep things a bit drier. My main problem was putting the bag down on wet sand, rocks, grass and the decks of boats. The bottom of the bag often got soaked and capillary action drew the dampness up into the bag.
                I still love Domke's though.

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.

Comment

Thanks Jon, that's pretty much what I thought. The ballistic nylon Domke's are a similar material to my Tenba's. My oldest Tenba's from 1980 or '81 and apart from the odd stain it shows no real signs of wear.
                  It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                    I've just had a look on it for the label - it says Hadley B/T, whatever that means. I've owned it for over 10 years, so it could be the sizing has changed since.

The internal dimensions of the padded insert are: 13" x 3", and 9" deep.
                    However, it's so flexible that these measurements mean little.
                    Stephen,

Thanks for that, I guess "flexible" is the key word. I googled "Hadley B/T"

and got

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41079612

A nice description and pictures, this could be the one..
                    Peter J

Comment

Originally posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
                      Stephen,

Thanks for that, I guess "flexible" is the key word. I googled "Hadley B/T"

and got

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41079612

A nice description and pictures, this could be the one..
                      Looks very similar. I think I've worked out (Doh!) that B/T refers to the colour - black and tan, as mine is black with tan leather ...
                      Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                        Looks very similar. I think I've worked out (Doh!) that B/T refers to the colour - black and tan, as mine is black with tan leather ...
                        I have ordered one from Camera World. On advice from my wife (Who knows about stylish bags) I also picked B/T as the classic Billingham colour would be a bit flashy for these parts...
                        Peter J

Comment

A wise choice by a wise woman. My larger Billingham is in the classic tan colour, and it shouts "camera bag tourist" at you.

Another thing in favour of Billingham is that they don't use the dreaded Velcro, except for fixing the dividers in place.
                          Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

I did not start this thread with the intention of getting a new bag, but that is how it worked out.

New Small Hadley (black/black) just arrived from Camera World. Fits the PEN kit (just) - classiest bag I ever had.

Excellent service from Camera World and £10 cheaper than Amazon...
                            Peter J

Comment

Somedays. I take out my Grape, Patent L.K. Bennett bag - with just the E-5, & 14.54 Mk II lens; a spare battery; two chips and a microfibre lens cloth.

Somedays. I leave this bag at home and have the E-5 and lens about my neck and the a spare battery; two chips and a microfibre lens cloth in my pocket

When I am out for Wildlife walks - I either take my Kata 1,2,3 rucksack or for Nature Reserves, My Ali case on Barbie pink soft and large wheels; or my Ruck sack & Seat WITH

1. E-5 x 2 bodies
                              2 Batteries - 4 x white E-5 ones and 4 black old E-1 batteries
                              3 Loads of chips (10 or 14)
                              4 Shutter release cable
                              5 waterproof short mac for the camera
                              6 Tri pod 1 BENRO
                              7 Tripod 1 x lightweight flick i tup - ? no name one
                              8 Lens pen cleaner and Magnyfying glass
                              9 pencils and notebooks - what and where ? eg Hobby in Pine trees at Tursley flying low in front of the pine trees

10 honey in a tiny jar (had make up cream in it once, handy for attracting bees etc., )

11 Olympus Tough 810 for Sat Map Ref of locations - noted on pad at 9

12 bottle of water & small bag of snacks - for longs days

13 Lenses - BIGMA; 50-200 ; 50-200 SWD ; 40-150 ; 50m Macro and 150 Sigma Macro ; 11-22 for landscapes and 14-54 for ? 14 & 25 ex tubes

14 Lipsyl and sun block and Fishermans Friends

15 Dog treats of small pieces of smelly dry Tripe - to throw for other peoples dogs to *iss orf and leave me alone

16 sachet of cat food - maybe to tease out some wildlife

17 pack a mac and pac a blanket and first aid kit

PS sun Hat with long neck bit
                              [I].
                              I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                              Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Depending on where i'm going, i taken one of the following 3 bags:

1. small shoulder bag usely with in it:
                                - my E-420,
                                - 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses
                                - spare battery

2. Low Pro mini trekker, in/on it:
                                - my E-420
                                - shoulder mount
                                - Lenses inside: 14-42mm, 40-1150mm, 70-300mm, Chinon 500mm mirror
                                - Lens hanging outside on the bag: Delamax 650-1300mm
                                - rain cover
                                - spare batteries (both for flash gun and camera)
                                - yellow safety vest
                                - Alinco DJ-X30E radio scanner
                                - Vitavar 3200A flash gun
                                - small tripod (used to be a microphone table tripod)
                                - Sony digital Dictaphone
                                - Pentax lens and camera cleaning kit
                                - collapsible ear defenders
                                - spare eye piece
                                - ear plugs both custom made and those foam ones
                                - fold-able drinking cup
                                - up to 1 lt of water/tea and some bread
                                - fold-able stool (if necessary)
                                - on occasion tripod
                                - aviation frequency lists

3. Crumpler rug sack:
                                - most of the items listed under 2 without the tripod, 650=1300mm
                                - laptop

Most used bag/kit is no. 2.
                                Although it can weigh in up to 16.5 kg if I take everything listed with me.
                                Lucky for me, I own some different kinds of fold-able stools. I own the tripod version a small trekking/fishing stool and a fold-able chair (those you can buy at airshows with the can holder in the armrest ) Most time I take for sitting the tripod stool or the small trekking stool with me. The latter I can my side pocket of my trekking/cargo pants when folded.
                                Last edited by buddha01; 7th April 2013, 03:50 AM. Reason: listing was incomplete
                                André de Wit
                                The Netherlands

sigpic

Oly OMD E-M 10 Mark II
                                Oly E-420
                                Oly Zuiko ED 70-300mm 1:4-5.6
                                Oly Zuiko ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6
                                Oly Zuiko EZ 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6
                                Oly Zuiko ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6
                                Samyang/Delamax 650-1300mm 1:8-16 Manual Telephoto Lens
                                Chinon 500mm mirror 1:8-16 Manual Telephoto Lens

https://adewit7.wixsite.com/aviationphotography

Comment

Working...
                                X