Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

    is the size of the sensor. They can't cope with high ISO settings, too much digital noise' said the Canikon owner.

    I was out yesterday, E3 in hand, snapping away and a fellow photographer (?) beside me doing the same. We started talking, me about techniques, him equipment (mainly about how much better his was, a Canon 550D).

    So, I asked, have you ever used an Olympus camera? 'Er, no'
    Have you ever seen/compared a print from an Olympus camera? 'Er, no'
    So I take it that what you are saying comes from a test in an Canikon sponsored magazine? 'Eh? (That one went straight over his head)

    Anyway, back home, head still reeling from this guys waffle, I took this one of my cat on the back of the sofa. I managed to get one shot off. Anyone who's tried to photograph a cat will know how hard that is.

    I used an E-1, OM 28mm f2.8. ISO800, 1/100sec, f5.6, handheld. CS5 - WB, levels, sharpened, Topaz DeNoise5. Who says Olympus cameras can't handle high ISO!

    I'm normally a lurker not a poster but this guy bugged me. So, come on, show us your high ISO shots and prove him wrong.

    Regards - Paul

    TommyT.jpg
    Regards - Paul

  • #2
    Re: 'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

    That's a cracking shot
    Steve
    My Flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/HRVVS

    "If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

      E-30 and ISO 3200 and keeping to the animal theme.
      Attached Files
      Regards Paul.
      One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

      https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

        Does this look noisy Straight out of the camera no processing whatsoever



        ISO 6400
        Graham

        We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

          For most part noise isn't an issue for me.

          This one E3, ISO3200,1/45 f2.0 shot in RAW under incandescent light.



          Paul

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

            Originally posted by angelpaaul View Post
            So, I asked, have you ever used an Olympus camera? 'Er, no'
            Have you ever seen/compared a print from an Olympus camera? 'Er, no'
            So I take it that what you are saying comes from a test in an Canikon sponsored magazine? 'Eh? (That one went straight over his head)
            [ATTACH]956[/ATTACH]
            Yes ignorance is bliss isn't it, but some folk love to have an opinion and just prove how little they really know. Still it gives us folk in the know a good laugh.

            Paul

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

              I don't know yet. I'm using a Panasonic DMC-L1 until my new to me E3 arrives, hopefully tomorrow but I know noise is a big problem once I go above ISO 800.

              Hopefully the E3 will address the problems/issues I have with L1, namely the really dark almost impossible to use viewfinder in night time situations and the much better control of noise when taking photos in the same situations.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

                If you rate a camera soley on high ISO performance I'd have to agree his 550D has the edge on the E3. Also, he has 18mp - mind you, to make the most of that he needs something considerably better than the 18-55mm "milk bottle" I bet he was using. We must bear in mind that the E3 is at least two years older than the 550D and it would only take a slight increase in performance of the sensor in the latest Pens to even things right up. I'm confident we will see that in the E-5. However, overall camera performance is about far more than just pixels and high ISO. I'm glad he is happy with his 550D but if he offered to swap it for my E-3 I'd laugh in his face.
                John

                "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

                  Reminds me of my mate who got rid of his 5D mk I because it attracted so much dust to the sensor and couldn't believe how happy we Oly users are to change lenses in dusty (i.e. outdoor) conditions

                  That's not a dig at that make or model because they are darn good cameras that create darn good images and I wish I could afford one and all the glass to go with it, but at the end of the day each and every camera has strengths and weaknesses and we all learn to live with them or change brands.

                  Having said all that Olympus do need to recognise that they are criticised for such and make sure in all new sensor models / software that is the area that they focus on because it's easy for people to take cheap shots at that aspect because it's been said so often.

                  Regards
                  Andy
                  My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                  4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                  m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                  FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                  The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

                  My places
                  http://www.shenstone.me.uk
                  http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                  https://vimeo.com/shenstone
                  http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

                    Steve - Thanks Matey

                    Paul S - Must admit I've never tried my E3 on anything higher than ISO 1000, never really needed it. Must give it a try.

                    Graham - ISO 6400, WOW! looks OK to me

                    Woofmix - Nice shot, you've really caught that 'Oh no, not another photo' look. Also I agree, it does give us folks in the know a good laugh.

                    Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                    If you rate a camera soley on high ISO performance I'd have to agree his 550D has the edge on the E3.
                    Zuiko - I agree with what you are saying, the 550D probably does have the edge in high ISO performance. The thing is, would guys like him know how to use it, even with better 'glass'. There's a lot of people out there buy cameras based on magazine reviews. As we know, it's the user not the camera that takes the picture, the camera only records it.

                    Regards - Paul
                    Regards - Paul

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

                      Originally posted by angelpaaul View Post
                      Steve - Thanks Matey

                      Paul S - Must admit I've never tried my E3 on anything higher than ISO 1000, never really needed it. Must give it a try.

                      Graham - ISO 6400, WOW! looks OK to me

                      Woofmix - Nice shot, you've really caught that 'Oh no, not another photo' look. Also I agree, it does give us folks in the know a good laugh.



                      Zuiko - I agree with what you are saying, the 550D probably does have the edge in high ISO performance. The thing is, would guys like him know how to use it, even with better 'glass'. There's a lot of people out there buy cameras based on magazine reviews. As we know, it's the user not the camera that takes the picture, the camera only records it.

                      Regards - Paul
                      Ah, now that's the 64,000 ISO question!
                      John

                      "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

                        Originally posted by angelpaaul View Post
                        is the size of the sensor. They can't cope with high ISO settings, too much digital noise' said the Canikon owner.

                        I was out yesterday, E3 in hand, snapping away and a fellow photographer (?) beside me doing the same. We started talking, me about techniques, him equipment (mainly about how much better his was, a Canon 550D).

                        So, I asked, have you ever used an Olympus camera? 'Er, no'
                        Have you ever seen/compared a print from an Olympus camera? 'Er, no'
                        So I take it that what you are saying comes from a test in an Canikon sponsored magazine? 'Eh? (That one went straight over his head)

                        Anyway, back home, head still reeling from this guys waffle, I took this one of my cat on the back of the sofa. I managed to get one shot off. Anyone who's tried to photograph a cat will know how hard that is.

                        I used an E-1, OM 28mm f2.8. ISO800, 1/100sec, f5.6, handheld. CS5 - WB, levels, sharpened, Topaz DeNoise5. Who says Olympus cameras can't handle high ISO!

                        I'm normally a lurker not a poster but this guy bugged me. So, come on, show us your high ISO shots and prove him wrong.

                        Regards - Paul
                        I usually just ask them what publisher/agency/client they're shooting for or a list of their publications and that gets rid of them.
                        It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

                        David M's Photoblog

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

                          Late to the party, I know, but I rarely use anything over ISO 100 (a hangover from my film days when you couldn't change speed from shot to shot, and to be honest, even after two years of using dSLRs I forget the function is there to be used). However, given the recent discussions re noise and the E-5 I thought I'd better get my E-600 out and see what it can actually do. So, continuing the animal theme here are some straight out of camera JPEGs:

                          ISO 100:


                          ISO 800


                          ISO 1600


                          ISO 3200


                          There is some noise visible in the 1600/3200 shots when zooming in but I expect that can be handled somehow. Something else to learn now I guess
                          Last edited by meach; 21st September 2010, 04:17 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
                          Paul

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

                            This issue regularly pops up on here.. and my response is usually this image

                            ISO 3200, handheld with 40-150 kit lens, 1/20th @ f5.6

                            John

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 'The trouble with Olympus cameras...

                              Is that hair, "colour noise"?
                              sigpicDave

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X