Re Installing Canon printer driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Re Installing Canon printer driver

I have a Canon Pro-10 printer which worked fine until I changed my iMac.
    Now the Mac doesn't recognise the printer.
    I have a DVD with the drivers on which I load into an external DVD player, lots of whirring then it opens the installation process but freezes at the same place each time I try. I have cleaned the DVD but get the same result each time I try.
    I went to the canon site to download a driver but do not understand the instructions, which are, "Download / Installation Procedures
    1. Download the file. For the location where the file is saved, check the computer settings.
    2. Double-click the downloaded file and mount it on the Disk Image.
    3. Double-click the mounted Disk Image.
    4. Double-click the packaged file in the folder. Installation starts automatically."
    The file is saved in the download folder, so I usually just drag this sort of thing to the application folder, but when I do and go through the set up process, the printer does not appear in the system preferences.
    When I try to print, the canon is not shown as an option.

Before I go to canon I thought I would ask here, so can anyone help me please?
    sigpicDave

Re: Re Installing Canon printer driver

Hi
    When you download the file to Downloads folder, you should double click the file to show the installation file, double clicking this should install the necessary files

Comment

Sounds like you have downloaded an ISO disk image rather than just a bunch of files. I don't know the Mac OS but is there a way of mounting a disk image (just a file) so that it looks like you have added a new disk to the machine? Failing that can you write the disk image to a DVD?
      Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
      Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by pault View Post
        Hi
        When you download the file to Downloads folder, you should double click the file to show the installation file, double clicking this should install the necessary files
        I do that but then after 'installing" the printer, I cannot see it on my Mac.
        sigpicDave

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
          Sounds like you have downloaded an ISO disk image rather than just a bunch of files. I don't know the Mac OS but is there a way of mounting a disk image (just a file) so that it looks like you have added a new disk to the machine? Failing that can you write the disk image to a DVD?
          I don't know how to do that. That is the problem. I will try writing the disk image to a DVD. Thanks.
          sigpicDave

Comment

Originally posted by sapper View Post
            I don't know how to do that. That is the problem. I will try writing the disk image to a DVD. Thanks.
            Tried writing to a dvd but no go. My Mac does not have a dVD drive so I have to use an external one and when I put the new disc it, it is not shown in Finder or desktop.
            sigpicDave

Comment

Have you removed the old canon drivers completely prior to trying to install the new one?
              Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
                Have you removed the old canon drivers completely prior to trying to install the new one?
                I don't think they are on the Mac. If they are I wouldn't know where to find them.
                sigpicDave

Comment

Just out of curiousity have you downloaded the correct driver(s) for the Apple OS version you currently use? On one of the many links I found a mention to select the correct OS version for the download.

Link https://www.canon.co.uk/support/cons...2010%20(64-bit)
                  It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                    Just out of curiousity have you downloaded the correct driver(s) for the Apple OS version you currently use? On one of the many links I found a mention to select the correct OS version for the download.

Link https://www.canon.co.uk/support/cons...2010%20(64-bit)
                    Yes. I also downloaded an update for Canon printers from Apple, but that didn't work either. I got a message to contact Canon so I did and am waiting for a reply.
                    sigpicDave

Comment

I don't think they are on the Mac. If they are I wouldn't know where to find them.
                      Printer drivers are stored in a subfolder in the Library folder of your Mac's home directory. The Library folder is hidden from casual users in the latest Mac OS X operating system.

While in Finder, open the Go menu; with that menu open, press Option. An item "Library" will be added to the list. Select it, and it will open, revealing its contents.
                      Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

If you get stuck Dave, post a link to the ISO file you need and I'll download and burn it, and send it off to you.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
                          Printer drivers are stored in a subfolder in the Library folder of your Mac's home directory. The Library folder is hidden from casual users in the latest Mac OS X operating system.

While in Finder, open the Go menu; with that menu open, press Option. An item "Library" will be added to the list. Select it, and it will open, revealing its contents.
                          Thanks for this Graham, canon printer not there, only another one.
                          sigpicDave

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                            If you get stuck Dave, post a link to the ISO file you need and I'll download and burn it, and send it off to you.

Jim
                            Thank Jim. Is the ISO file the one I downloaded from Canon?
                            sigpicDave

Comment

I have a Canon Pro-10 printer which worked fine until I changed my iMac.
                              Now the Mac doesn't recognise the printer.
                              I have a DVD with the drivers on which I load into an external DVD player, lots of whirring then it opens the installation process but freezes at the same place each time I try. I have cleaned the DVD but get the same result each time I try.
                              I went to the canon site to download a driver but do not understand the instructions, which are, "Download / Installation Procedures
                              1. Download the file. For the location where the file is saved, check the computer settings.
                              2. Double-click the downloaded file and mount it on the Disk Image.
                              3. Double-click the mounted Disk Image.
                              4. Double-click the packaged file in the folder. Installation starts automatically."
                              The file is saved in the download folder, so I usually just drag this sort of thing to the application folder, but when I do and go through the set up process, the printer does not appear in the system preferences.
                              When I try to print, the canon is not shown as an option.

Before I go to canon I thought I would ask here, so can anyone help me please?
                              Is it a cable connected or WiFi printer?

Have you run through the "printer set up" to connect it to the computer, as the comments you make suggest the printer isn't there rather than the wrong/missing driver!
                              I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Working...
                              X