HLD9 for EM1ii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HLD9 for EM1ii

Anyone using one of these...are they worth it or just adds bulk to a slimline lightweight camera. Been offered one at a keen price.

Peter
    OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
    www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Re: HLD9 for EM1ii

Very useful for the longer Pro lenses (the 40-150 in my case) in terms of handling. Also with smaller lenses if you do a lot of portrait format photography. Less so for more general photography with smaller lenses (for me at least).
    Looks butch too
    Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Hmm, well I got one for free with the camera and still haven't used it after two years so I'd say probably not worth it, for me at any rate.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

I got one bundled with my camera body, but have never used it. I find it adds too much bulk and weight, and I don't need the extra battery capacity.

But it does depend on your needs. I don't do studio work anymore, and even when I did I found it easier to rotate my grip than use the extra controls on the battery grips. And when I'm using my 300mm f4 in bird hides I prefer to use a monopod for stability.

Can you try it out on a test run??

Chris
        Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Comment

Thanks for the info folks...sneaky suspicion that it does add bulk and maybe not suitable for my gig photography, (sometimes use a small tripod low down) understand that its suitable for certain situations tho....

Cheers

Peter
          OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
          I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
          www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

Only have a Mk1, but I often use the equivalent
            Mainly if I'm wandering round and there is a possibility that the battery is likely to run out during some sort of action photo session, wildlife or motorsport etc.
            Set priority to grip battery, and if it expires, the camera will automatically take over with no lost shooting opportunity.
            The grip battery can them be changed at leisure during a quiet moment.
            Best Regards
            Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
            They're Watching You!

Comment

Originally posted by peak4 View Post
              Only have a Mk1, but I often use the equivalent
              Mainly if I'm wandering round and there is a possibility that the battery is likely to run out during some sort of action photo session, wildlife or motorsport etc.
              Set priority to grip battery, and if it expires, the camera will automatically take over with no lost shooting opportunity.
              The grip battery can them be changed at leisure during a quiet moment.
              As I find the EM1 mk2 already chunky enough to use with either a 40-150 f2.8 or 300 f4, that's about the only use I have for my 'free' battery grip, especially when staying at campsites with no electrical hookup and wanting to get 100% out of every battery, although I do have a battery power pack with built in inverter for charging either USB or mains plug stuff, but also have lots of other gear make demands on it.

I suppose I could always buy more batteries and swop at say 20% left, but I've previously left it too late when trying to get as much as possible out of them, forgetting to keep monitoring the residual charge. Keep wondering if that power pack would work with a mains lead for the HLD9, but there's no cheap third party versions (last time I checked) available.

Comment

I seldom use my EM1i or EM5ii without their battery grips. It's all down to personal preference. A grip certainly helps with longer/heavier lenses.
                David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

I found that the MKi was better with the grip mounted on it when using the 300 f4, but they've made tiny adjustments to where the lens mount is on the body between the MKi and MKii - they've moved it up a millimetre or so and it makes the grip redundant most of the time.

I simply stuff the spare battery in my pocket, as I never do anything that's crucial enough to mean I could miss something while changing the battery!

As has also been said above, IF you are doing masses of portrait orientation photos it can be worthwhile to stop you getting wrist ache!

Comment

Working...
                  X