Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Macbook Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macbook Air

I have a macbook air, which is fine, but does not have a lot of memory, so I use an external SSD when on hols to store my images. I keep getting message, 'your start up disc is low on space, please delete some files". Not exact but you get the point. I have removed PS 5 and other aps but wondered if I could get a bigger internal drive.

Any had this problem and been able to sort it?
    sigpicDave

Re: Macbook Air

I’ve just spent an age sorting out my MacBook Pro.

Do you use the iCloud file storage facility?
    I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

No, don't trust it, prefer physical stuff.
      sigpicDave

Comment

Originally posted by sapper View Post
        I have a macbook air, which is fine, but does not have a lot of memory, so I use an external SSD when on hols to store my images. I keep getting message, 'your start up disc is low on space, please delete some files". Not exact but you get the point. I have removed PS 5 and other aps but wondered if I could get a bigger internal drive.

Any had this problem and been able to sort it?
        You can upgrade the internal SSD drive. OWC have the hardware and installation videos, and the procedure looks fairly simple.
        My wife has a MacBookAir, and has the same problem as you, and when I get a chance I will do an upgrade for her.
        Stewart

My Zenfolio Site
        My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | Lumix: G9 | LX100
        Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135
        Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Lumix: 12-32 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye

Comment

Originally posted by Shaw View Post
          You can upgrade the internal SSD drive. OWC have the hardware and installation videos, and the procedure looks fairly simple.
          My wife has a MacBookAir, and has the same problem as you, and when I get a chance I will do an upgrade for her.
          Thanks, but who are OWC?
          sigpicDave

Comment

OWC i think is Other World Computing inc, another is Crucial, I think in Uk. I used them to upgrade to SSD ON my Macbook Pro a few years ago. Before you install the new drive you have to install a mirror image on the new drive via USB connection. Iused a program “superduper” my create a bootable image.

Comment

Comment

Macupgrades are very good, put a 2GB SSD in my iMac for me... They happen to be less than 2 miles from where I live too!

Comment

Originally posted by sapper View Post
                  No, don't trust it, prefer physical stuff.
                  Have you put a micro SD card into the SD slot there's a special holder available for permanent use, then you can move stuff from your start up disk to the micro sd card... I have my Apple Photos and my iTunes stuff on one.

One of these!

and one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
                    Macupgrades are very good, put a 2GB SSD in my iMac for me... They happen to be less than 2 miles from where I live too!

Comment

[QUOTE=Walti;480386]Have you put a micro SD card into the SD slot there's a special holder available for permanent use, then you can move stuff from your start up disk to the micro sd card... I have my Apple Photos and my iTunes stuff on one.

Thanks, I have not. I will think about.
                      sigpicDave

Comment

• Put only the software you need on there.
                        • Ensure your photos are kept on external storage (which you already do).

Caveat: Not a good option if you have software on there that might be difficult to get hold of now.

Comment

Unfortunately not all Macbooks can be upgraded. They onboard mounted the SSD to my daughter's macbook. They even left out that SD reader.
                          * Henry
                          * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

I think the MacBook Air still had the SD reader until the very latest upgrade when they added the retina screen and took away everything else useful. The MacBook has never had any proper ports at all, just a single USB-C I think. Madness.

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                              I think the MacBook Air still had the SD reader until the very latest upgrade when they added the retina screen and took away everything else useful. The MacBook has never had any proper ports at all, just a single USB-C I think. Madness.
                              It's the other way round. My MacBook has all the ports, but my wife's MacBook Air has only the USB port.
                              Stewart

My Zenfolio Site
                              My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | Lumix: G9 | LX100
                              Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135
                              Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Lumix: 12-32 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye

Comment

Working...
                              X