Computer screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer screens

There has been a mention of computer screens in a recent thread....

I have a pre-loved(?) Dell Latitude E6430 laptop. Its getting on now, but has loads of RAM and big hard disk which suits me. Also runs a i5 CPU. And generally works well..

My concern is the screen, I have gone through the screen calibration app on board, but do wonder whether its a good image or not. It's a bit different from my Surface Pro, that gives a really good and clear image. The Surface pro really works well, but the screen is too small for my ultimate liking.

I prefer a laptop as it's just so handy to use, room-wise and portability.

I would be interested in opinions as to what is a reasonable set up, cost-wise and perfection wise (?)

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

Re: Computer screens

Dell do a couple of really good largish screens that would work with your laptop, see if you can check the graphics processor output for maximum resolution and go looking for a screen around that, screens aren't particularly expensive any more so you should be able to get something really good...

I have a 27" monitor with "5k" resolution (5000 pixels wide) and the Olympus images are simply great on that.

I believe LG make the screens for most monitors (I await correction) so I'd suggest a couple of these to look at!

LG 24"

Or you could go mad with one of these: LG 5k 27" monitor
      I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Originally posted by AMc View Post
        Are you looking for a recommendation for an external monitor
        Probably...……..

But I don't really want to go down the desktop pooter, as space and portability is an issue at the mo...…….

But adding another screen might offend that wish too...………….
        Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
          Dell do a couple of really good largish screens that would work with your laptop, see if you can check the graphics processor output for maximum resolution and go looking for a screen around that, screens aren't particularly expensive any more so you should be able to get something really good...

I have a 27" monitor with "5k" resolution (5000 pixels wide) and the Olympus images are simply great on that.

I believe LG make the screens for most monitors (I await correction) so I'd suggest a couple of these to look at!

LG 24"

Or you could go mad with one of these: LG 5k 27" monitor
          Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Might find this site useful.

https://www.t3.com/features/best-laptop

The number 1 is very nice indeed but not cheap!
            Dave

My Flickr

Comment

My 17" Dell laptop has a native (internal screen) resolution of 1920x 1080 but I have it permanently connected via a display port cable to a BenQ BL2420PT 24 inch QHD Designer Monitor (1440p, 100% sRGB, Rec 709, Height Adjustment, CAD/CAM and Animation Mode, VGA/DVI-DL/DP1.2/HDMI) - Black
              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
              Learn something new every day

Comment

FWIW I use an LG IPS235 which is a few years old.
                It was allegedly colour calibrated before it left the factory which I understand isn't the end of the process as light colour and level in the room are important too.
                As I seldom print I wasn't too concerned.

The IPS is or at least was important. IPS panels have greater contrast so a wider colour space than Tn panels. No idea if anyone still makes Tn panels as I haven't investigated for a few years.

FWIW I use a 1920x1080p screen on a very low end graphics processor and it works fine. My elderly XP machine can also support that res. but it's pretty flickery and horrid.
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

Comment

I have a Dell XPS 15 (which was recommended to me by someone on this forum a few years ago). It is just about the ultimate for photo work, I absolutely love it. It has a 4K screen, however, the price might be a sticking point. There are cheaper versions of the machine though.

Steve
                    Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
                    Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
                    My website

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

The Lenovo all-in-one looks like excellent value for what you get. Its less than half the price of an iMac. The only difference being the 5K display on the iMac.
                        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

I have exactly the same concerns over my cheapy laptop screen, but don't want a desktop. Perhaps just getting a monitor is the answer.... I shall watch this thread with interest.
                          Junk on Flickr
                          Even more Junk on Instagram

Comment

I am in the process of building a new PC for photo work and today got around to making the decision of which monitors to get. I was thinking of a single 32" 4K monitor (BenQ SW320) but really wanted 2 displays so perhaps a couple of BenQ 270s - BenQ way too expensive, so ruled them out. Finally decided on these, which have the same Infinity Edge screens as my laptop: https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop...or-accessories

Amazon worked out a bit cheaper than directly from Dell yet still retains the 3 year warranty. Just have to wait now until the i9 processor I want becomes available at the end of July

So, almost there to a new system

Steve
                            Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
                            Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
                            My website

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X