Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

Using micro four thirds lenses on four thirds cameras?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using micro four thirds lenses on four thirds cameras?

Hi all,
    I think I am probably about to ask a really stupid question, but this is the friendliest forum on the planet so here goes...
    Is it possible to get an adaptor to use micro four thirds lenses on four thirds cameras? The reason is that I have sold my e30 and e510 but still have an infra red converted e500. I am considering selling a few more lenses but want to be able to continue to use my infra red camera. If I could use my micro four thirds lenses on the e500 I would be able to move completely to micro four thirds lenses.
    Thanks for any help.
    Shirley
    Shirley
    www.shirleyhollisenterprises.co.uk
    www.photographsbyshirley.co.uk

Re: Using micro four thirds lenses on four thirds cameras?

Can't be done. It could be done with an adapter including some optics but I can't see anyone producing such an item.

Why not just keep a suitable lens for IR work. I take some IR but only have a filter for a 35mm equivalent lens on my IR capable camera.

Comment

Thanks Mike, I suspected as much, so it seems I will need to keep at least one four thirds lens or try and buy a micro four thirds infra red camera....if such a thing exists.
      Shirley

Comment

I believe Ian has an IR-converted Pen body for hire. Depending on how much IR you shoot, might that meet your needs for a while at least?

Ciao ... John

Comment

Shirley,
          Advanced Camera Services in Norfolk convert cameras to infrared, the only Olympus cameras that they will do are Pen cameras. I think it's about £250 or thereabouts.
          I can't comment on the quality of the conversion but I have used them for repairs in the past and they were pretty good.
          Lee.

Comment

Shirley

Comment

Understood Shirley, just thought that I would mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee View Post
                Understood Shirley, just thought that I would mention it.
                Yes thank you I appreciated the heads up and it might be useful later.
                Shirley

Comment

Remember of course you can put your legacy manual focus OM Zuiko lenses + adapter on your IR E500. Not forgetting they have an IR focussing mark of course.
                  Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                  Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                  Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                  Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                  Learn something new every day

Comment

I use an old IR filter (from my film days) on an E-P1 via a step up ring and I get perfectly acceptable IR results. Including AF and auto-exposure. Exposure time are just about hand holdable on a sunny day but will normally need a tripod

Roger

Comment

Do you really need a modification to use IR? My E-620 and E-M5 can both "see" the IR light from a TV remote, so I guess if you fit an IR filter like the ones used for film, it ought to work oughtn't it?
                      Regards
                      Richard

Comment

Originally posted by RogerMac View Post
                        I use an old IR filter (from my film days) on an E-P1 via a step up ring and I get perfectly acceptable IR results. Including AF and auto-exposure. Exposure time are just about hand holdable on a sunny day but will normally need a tripod

Roger
                        I thoght it would be sensible to show an example of IR from an unmodified E-P1

Comment

The big advantage of using a converted camera rather than a filter is that you work with normal exposure values and can see the scene. With a filter such as an IR72 you lose so much light that a tripod is essential, both to enable the composition to be made before the filter is fitted and to cope with the very long exposure times.
                          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Working...
                          X