X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand Flash....

Re: Help me understand Flash....

Originally posted by Internaut View Post
    So, I stuck the old FL-36R on the Pen F, last night, and did a few quick tests. Getting the flash into TTL Auto (baby steps, please), and setting the camera up to fire it to brighten up the room (flash pointed at the ceiling, angled to the left) was fairly easy. I made a couple of observations I don’t get.
    • Sure, the flash does what I expect and very briefly lifts the light level of the room.
    • Aperture Priority says “I’m going to be 1/30, whatever you do, so tough!”.
    • Yet in Manual exposure I can, for example, set the shutter to 1/200 and get a bright photo, with accurate looking colours.
    • The camera’s light meter seems to report metering sans flash (e.g. shows a very negative exposure).

So it seems to be working albeit in a “Jason blundered in and for it working by accident” kind of a way, and I don’t know why.
    Have you set the flash menu settings for both Manual and Aperture priority? (I don't know the camera but based on mine and have never used Auto).

The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

I have two of those flashes (1 from new) & one of them started playing up from a certain range of settings, so I assume your flash is working without fault then?
      Ross
      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

In manual setting, you can set both the aperture and the shutter speed (up to the maximum). The flash will then determine the exposure. You may have to increase the ISO if the flash is not powerful enough e.g. in a large hall.

In aperture priority you may get only fill flash.

Harold

Comment

Thanks. Yes, the flash does appear to be working. Note that at the moment, I’m playing with on camera flash. Off camera comes when I’m fairly certain I reasonably understand this.

Comment

A good way to get to understand flash is to do it all manually, using the old technique of Guide Number.

Also worth remembering is the inverse square law. If you move a fixed power flash away to twice the distance, you get a quarter of the light intensity at the subject.

http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/fla...de-number.html
            Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Some years ago 'English Bob' did a definitive set-up for the FL36 and FL50 flashes. Here's a link to a pdf of his instructions:

https://dwehner.zenfolio.com/flashphotography.pdf

The original thread is here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/1440403

Jim

Comment

There was talk a while ago for some Olympus supported tutorials and workshops. They seem to have evaporated...

I've never quite understood how the flash and camera work together and often end up frustrated with the whole setup.

As an example of this you can set a minimum and maximum flash synchronisation up in the menus, but mounting the flash on top of the camera forces a shutter speed up to 1/50th, this is with the STF-8, The FL36R and the FL600R, and I never get the compulsory flash fire logo enabled, it's always greyed out... At the moment with the camera in manual exposure mode I can't set higher then 1/50th, and the full flash logo and the red eye reduction logos are both greyed out...

The TTL only really seems to operate as expected when the flash is directly mounted on the camera, with remote flash units it never seems to do the right thing!

I'm using the camera and flash in manual more and more to get around the flash system, as it never does what I expect automatically.
                I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
                  The TTL only really seems to operate as expected when the flash is directly mounted on the camera, with remote flash units it never seems to do the right thing!
                  Do you have the command unit flash on the hot shoe when you have the flsh off camera? (I can't think how it would work at all if not).

If so is it "on" i.e. popped up if it is the pop-up version.

Is RC switched on in the camera menu?

Harold

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                    Do you have the command unit flash on the hot shoe when you have the flsh off camera? (I can't think how it would work at all if not).

If so is it "on" i.e. popped up if it is the pop-up version.

Is RC switched on in the camera menu?

Harold

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                      Some years ago 'English Bob' did a definitive set-up for the FL36 and FL50 flashes. Here's a link to a pdf of his instructions:

https://dwehner.zenfolio.com/flashphotography.pdf

The original thread is here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/1440403

Jim

Comment

I've still got a print-out of his excellent flash set-up instructions.

Jim

Comment

The output indicated will be for indoors where the light bounces around.

Harold

Comment

In the teaching of Granny category of tips the mechanicall shutter has to be used to get flash sync at higher shutter speeds.
                            This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                              In the teaching of Granny category of tips the mechanicall shutter has to be used to get flash sync at higher shutter speeds.
                              So it does! I'd forgotten that!

Anyway about these eggs?

Comment

Working...
                              X