First Macro with A7R & Triple Nissin Air 1 Flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Macro with A7R & Triple Nissin Air 1 Flash

This may seem out of place here but the same Nissin System, and the later Nissin 10 update, are available in m4/3 versions.

I regularly use triple TTL RC flash for macro with my Olympus m4/3 system

A couple of years ago, I invested in a Sony A7R for wide angle landscapes, etc . but also for macro with flash. I initially purchased one Nissin Di700 and its Air 1 Command unit. Affordability being an issue, there was some delay before adding a second Di700. There was a much longer delay to obtain a third unit, the smaller i60a, which arrived this week.

When lighting subjects from behind, or at some angles from the side, it is important to be able to direct some light downwards, which also avoids flash light entering the front of the lens directly, causing flare and greatly reducing contrast. Two of my Olympus units can be locked in position, tilted downwards at 45 degrees. Placing these two higher up, each on a separate block of wood gets them into ideal (flexible) orientation.

The Nissin guns do not tilt downwards at all so I use a mini tripod for the i60A. A standard female thread in the base of its detachable stand fits the male thread on most tripods.

There is not a wide choice of flowers available to me at this time of year but some of our Christmas cactus (Schlumbergera hybrid) offer colour and interesting shape.

Sony A7R (manual mode), Leitz Wetzlar 60mm Elmarit at 1/160 at f11, ISO 320, triple TTL RC flash, handheld.

The stereo is crosseye.

So, this was a first try of a setup with a rarely-used camera, a very rarely used lens and a new setup of three flash guns, only two of which were used before, and not very often. I can see that I can work with this in much the same way as with my very familiar m4/3 hardware.

Harold

The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Re: First Macro with A7R & Triple Nissin Air 1 Flash

Nice work!
    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
      Nice work!
      Thanks, Steve.

It took me ages, not for the first time with Nissin, to get the third unit linked in to the Command unit. Their video misses out a procedure.

Harold

Comment

I've not managed to make multiple flash units run as true TTL, mainly because sticking some sort of diffuser in the way seems to muck the process up, when I have three "naked" flash guns all pointing directly the exposure seems about right, but in any other scenario I end up going manual.

I have a mini studio set up I'm starting to use quite a bit and I can only get decent results in manual settings for the flash units there.

NB this is all with Olympus "R" flash guns. (FL-600R and FL36R).

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
          I've not managed to make multiple flash units run as true TTL, mainly because sticking some sort of diffuser in the way seems to muck the process up, when I have three "naked" flash guns all pointing directly the exposure seems about right, but in any other scenario I end up going manual.

I have a mini studio set up I'm starting to use quite a bit and I can only get decent results in manual settings for the flash units there.

I don't know what you are doing but I can assure you that all my guns are diffused, except the control unit. With the Olympus set-up (FL-36R and FL-300Rs) the flash of the LM2 is turned off and does not contribute to the image.

Harold

Comment

Just check:

On your 36R, use the mode button to select RC, displayed as C I C, plus any compensation value (select with large dial).

I don't have the 600R but the manual says:

Wireless Flash Settings Wireless control is available with Olympus digital cameras that support RC mode. The unit is controlled by means of a flash mounted on the camera. It can also be mounted on a camera for wireless control of multiple remote flash units. For information on cameras that support this system, see the camera manual. 1 Set the camera and flash to RC mode. Press MODE (F) and rotate the dial to select a flash control mode. 2 Use the flash to select the channel and group. Press MODE (F) and use FGHI to highlight items and rotate the dial to change. Channel Set the camera and flash to the same channel. Group The camera can adjust flash settings * separately for up to 3 groups; choose the group to which the flash belongs. * Including flash control mode, flash level, and flash compensation.

I hope this helps.

Harold

Comment

A final thought: Have you got RC On in the camera menu?

Harold

Comment

I've got them set up correctly and they are controllable in manual from the camera, but the will not do TTL - however hard I try - exposures always come out very underexposed... Set them up manually and all is fine and dandy - so I've no eye deer what I'm doing wrong - but it's definitely me rather than the kit!

Comment

On my EM-1 I see, as soon as the camera is switched on, a black "RC" in a white square at the top of the screen.

Harold

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                    On my EM-1 I see, as soon as the camera is switched on, a black "RC" in a white square at the top of the screen.

Harold
                    Me too!

Comment

Have you seen your RC flash menu panel?

If you go the Shooting Menu, choose the second option and select RC from that.

Turn RC off & press "OK" button. Then back on again & press "OK" button.

Then, instead of the usual Master Control Panel (via OK button on my camera) you should see the flash RC panel (not labelled as such). (The panels sometimes alternate).

My settings are:

A TTL Z/FP Z (Z means squiggle)
                      B TTL * LO (* is a camera symbol)
                      C TTL ch 1
                      * OFF (* is a camera symbol)

Harold

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                        Have you seen your RC flash menu panel?

If you go the Shooting Menu, choose the second option and select RC from that.

Turn RC off & press "OK" button. Then back on again & press "OK" button.

Then, instead of the usual Master Control Panel (via OK button on my camera) you should see the flash RC panel (not labelled as such). (The panels sometimes alternate).

My settings are:

A TTL Z/FP Z (Z means squiggle)
                        B TTL * LO (* is a camera symbol)
                        C TTL ch 1
                        * OFF (* is a camera symbol)

Harold
                        I find it all works as expected when the flashes are pointing directly at the subject and thereís nothing compromising the flash in the way of diffusion and so on, stick a diffuser on the flash and itís generally OK but a bit hit and miss, move away from the simple and it all falls to pieces and exposures are all over the place! So I think itís the way Iím diffusing the flash more than anything, especially in the studio scenario as Iím using umbrellas and so on....

Comment

I find it all works as expected when the flashes are pointing directly at the subject and thereís nothing compromising the flash in the way of diffusion and so on, stick a diffuser on the flash and itís generally OK but a bit hit and miss, move away from the simple and it all falls to pieces and exposures are all over the place! So I think itís the way Iím diffusing the flash more than anything, especially in the studio scenario as Iím using umbrellas and so on....
                          You may be asking too much of the flash power available. Try zooming to telephoto. Alternatively, increase ISO.

Harold

Comment

Working...
                          X