Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Command Flashguns

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Command Flashguns

    Can someone confirm that the only Olympus flashguns that work as Command units for the E-M1 MkI are the FL-LM2 supplied with the camera and the FL-600R?
    I'm looking for something a bit more powerful than the FL-LM2 but not as bulky - or as pricey - as the FL-600R.
    The FL-300R would be perfect and I found one source that claimed it will work as a Command flash but can find no other mention, so suspect this claim is an error.(?)
    Consequently does anyone know of any other flash units that will work as a Command flash with the E-M1 MkI body?
    I currently use radio triggers but the Olympus RC system would be a great deal more convenient.

  • #2
    Re: Command Flashguns

    The 300 will not work as a command flash:

    https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/...r_1/index.html
    Graham

    We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Command Flashguns

      I used my FL50R until I got my smaller, lighter FL36R.

      Here is a useful list

      https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olympu...ic-more.89849/

      Harold
      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Command Flashguns

        Thanks - a very helpful list. After many years of being a loyal Metz user I have all but abandoned the Olympus/Panasonic/Leica optical system in favour of Godox which is far more versatile and a great deal cheaper.
        I still use 2 of the 26AF Metz units that work as slaves off the FL-LM2 for macro work where distance and line-of-sight are not a problem, however the battery 'doors' on both have broken and have to be held in place with insulating tape. The 26AF concept is excellent but the 'doors' are a very poor design, and one of the reasons I decided to abandon Metz. I see they have now ceased making flashguns in China and have reverted to German manufacture, but too late for me.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Command Flashguns

          One thing I require of guns for off-camera use is that they can be fitted into those little, black plastic, stands which have a tripod thread for also using on mini spikes, etc.

          When I got my (little-used) Nissin Air System guns I found that their feet were too delicate for other than the Nissin stands.

          Harold
          The body is willing but the mind is weak.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Command Flashguns

            Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
            One thing I require of guns for off-camera use is that they can be fitted into those little, black plastic, stands which have a tripod thread for also using on mini spikes, etc.
            If I have understood your requirements correctly then use an "olympus om T20 ttl off camera flash shoe connector adatper". A small cube with screw threaded hole on bottom (for tripod screw), hot shoe on top, and OM "TTL auto cord" connector at back (for use with OM4 + ttl auto cord or ttl shoe cord)
            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
            Learn something new every day

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Command Flashguns

              Originally posted by OM USer View Post
              If I have understood your requirements correctly then use an "olympus om T20 ttl off camera flash shoe connector adatper". A small cube with screw threaded hole on bottom (for tripod screw), hot shoe on top, and OM "TTL auto cord" connector at back (for use with OM4 + ttl auto cord or ttl shoe cord)
              Nothing so expensive!

              Just type "Plastic flash stand" into Ebay and the first couple of items in the search result are what I mean, subject to being the correct fit for your gun.

              Harold
              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Command Flashguns

                I've struggled with the RC mode without much success. Great in principle and sometimes it works but it seems very erratic and temperamental. Basically the use of pre-flashes as a communication method can be effective or not depending on the position and orientation of the flashguns and the ambient lighting conditions. sometimes a mirror helps in getting the signal to the flashgun but that's ridiculously impractical in many cases. I have a feeling that if you could get fibre optic cables to attach the receiver in the slave flash to the light from the on-camera flash it would be a great system and save the costs (financial, learning, and technical stability) of adding on extra flash trigger technology.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Command Flashguns

                  Originally posted by RobEW View Post
                  I've struggled with the RC mode without much success. Great in principle and sometimes it works but it seems very erratic and temperamental. Basically the use of pre-flashes as a communication method can be effective or not depending on the position and orientation of the flashguns and the ambient lighting conditions. sometimes a mirror helps in getting the signal to the flashgun but that's ridiculously impractical in many cases. I have a feeling that if you could get fibre optic cables to attach the receiver in the slave flash to the light from the on-camera flash it would be a great system and save the costs (financial, learning, and technical stability) of adding on extra flash trigger technology.
                  Declaration of interest: I use it almost exclusively for macro/close-ups.

                  As far as I recall, the pre-flash is for metering.

                  I encounter only two problems, that the rediculous pop-up FL-LM2 falls down at the slightest touch, switching the signals off, and the RC slider on the back of the FL 300Rs gets knocked to the unwanted A position in handling.

                  Harold
                  The body is willing but the mind is weak.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X