Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

FL50 Sticking Dials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FL50 Sticking Dials

Hi. I have a FL50 flash which hasn't been used for quite a while & now the dials are very difficult to turn.
    Anyone any ideas on how to sort?
    Thanks.

Re: FL50 Sticking Dials

Were the batteries left in the flash gun and if so did they get corroded? If so the corrosion may have spread in the gun
    This space for rent

Comment

Thanks for the reply Dereck.
      The battery compartment looks like new with no sign of previous battery leakage.
      I have dribbled WD40 around the dials which has freed them up some what but they are still a little stiff to turn.
      I will have to get used to turning them with 2 fingers & not just my thumb!

Comment

Originally posted by stead63 View Post
        Thanks for the reply Dereck.
        The battery compartment looks like new with no sign of previous battery leakage.
        I have dribbled WD40 around the dials which has freed them up some what but they are still a little stiff to turn.
        I will have to get used to turning them with 2 fingers & not just my thumb!
        NOT WD40!

Electronic switch cleaner.

Steve
        Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
        Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
        My website

Comment

The spindles of the control knobs may pass through rubber seals to provide some sort of dust and weather sealing. If not used for a while they may become tight.

I would be reluctant to use WD40 or switch cleaner as the solvents in these could damage the plastic components, and wouldn't lubricate the seals. If the seals become swollen owing to these solvents the movement would be tighter still.

Probably the best solution is to simply turn the knobs repeatedly until they loosen off. This is something you could easily do whilst sitting watching telly!

The knobs turn around and around so you don't need to worry about turning them too far.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Switch cleaner contains a lubricant and is designed specifically for situations like these: https://www.rapidonline.com/servisol...-200ml-87-0770

Steve
            My website

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckdiver View Post
              Switch cleaner contains a lubricant and is designed specifically for situations like these: https://www.rapidonline.com/servisol...-200ml-87-0770

Steve
              Fair enough. My concern was for the plastics involved, but I will bow to your greater knowledge.
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                Fair enough. My concern was for the plastics involved, but I will bow to your greater knowledge.
                I've been using switch cleaner for over 40 years Nige in the electronics industry. It is intended for use on switch contacts and potentiometer tracks made from all types of plastics and rubbers, seals etc. Restores worn components to almost like new and instantly frees up sticking controls and cures noisey pot tracks

Steve
                My website

Comment

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
                  I know from bitter experience that some "Switch or Contact Cleaners" can have a devastating effect on plastics. They seem to have the ability to alter the plastic's internal structure causing it to shatter within hours. Servisol however is a reliable tried and tested safe product used by engineers for many years and can be used on all kinds of delicate instruments and plastics.

John
                  Indeed. My concern was for the plastic casing, and especially the clear polycarbonate lens protecting the display.

The term 'solvent' is widely used but little understood. In this case "a solvent is any substance capable of dissolving other substances", and can include the propane/butane mixture used as a propellant, as this will be ejected from the container in liquid form, and will remain as a liquid for a second or two before evaporating.

There will also be some form of 'vehicle' in the formulation, (often white spirit) which is of course a solvent of types, but not as aggressive to plastics as (say) aromatic hydrocarbons such as xylene or toluene, or ketones such as acetone or MEK.

Exposure of some plastics to organic solvents does result in a permanent and irreversible change, and may also result in shattering if a moulding is stressed.
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
                  X