Macro flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macro flash

I do a lot of macro and would like some advice on macro flashes, I currently use the EM-5 Mk1 and EM-1 with the Olympus 60mm macro

I have seen various old systems T28 T10 but none of them seem to exist with olympus anymore, where they just built for the four thirds system?

I have been using a the standard flash that comes with the cameras and a metz 58 AF2 off camera using wireless, which works sometimes but annoying having to hold camera in one hand flash in other.
    any suggestions or advice would be welcome, I mostly photograph insects like dragonflies and damsels

thanks

Roger

Re: Macro flash

There are some less technical methods of getting good flash coverage with what you have. The Metz on camera can have some white card attached (can be as rough as using an elastic band to hold it) on the top & bent down to reflect the light down & providing a wide spread of light & for the small FL-LM2 flash you can hold a card to reflect the light or attach thin white paper at end of the lens angled out over the subject from the top of the lens to act as a large (relatively speaking) diffuser. It can work surpringly well. You can also make a funnel shaped snook with the angled diffuser at the end for it too.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Thanks very much for your help and advice I will give it a try, I also bought the metz ring flash when i bought the metz 58 af2 but its quite bulky and can fall off easily and even with the diffuser it is overpowering, maybe I should try diffusing that as well, light is a problem with dragonfly wings and even on the compound eyes, I am also sure I should be getting better results from my 60mm macro lens maybe I have a dud one or more likely a shake in my old age, thanks appreciate the help
      best regards
      Roger

Comment

I think diffusing any flash for that is a good idea, & lowering the power output.
        Ross
        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

thanks Ross

Comment

You can use the Olympus STF-22 Twin Flash with mft cameras.

However, you may want to consider continuous light (LEDs) and something like this can be "knocked up" for very little cost.

The LED panels have got a lot brighter, than when I made this.
            Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Thanks Graham looks very interesting where did you get the led's from? The STF-22 according to dpreview is no longer available from Olympus its very expensive anyway, I have the metz ring flash but heavy and easily comes off and too powerful. I tried the metz 58 af2 wireless of camera using olympus flash that comes with camera seems to work ok but its holding the flash in the left hand and the camera in the right not ideal, I have the olympus macro arm light but not tried it much best regards Roger

Comment

I use the Metz ring flash which fits well on my 60 macro and also my Sigma 150. You can select power and direct the light, it also comes with a clip on diffuser. Uses camera flash to trigger it.
                Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Originally posted by Lakota View Post
                  Thanks Graham looks very interesting where did you get the led's from?
                  EBAY

If I was doing it again I'd look for Ultra Bright "daylight" units

They can easily be dimmed and start at about 5V and run up to 12V

By pulling plugs I can adjust which panels are illuminated.

I also have seven T20 flash guns that I can arrange to get light where I want it.

Graham

Comment

Thanks Ed, I always use the diffuser on, but find that the clip for the olympus standard flash that comes with camera comes off very easy, I didn't know you could select the power I must check that out, thanks once again best regards
                    Roger

Comment

thanks Graham, do you use battery pack to power the led's
                      kind regards
                      Roger

Comment

I use a bench power supply inside and a battery pack outside.

One of these allows me to tap into the Voltage I want.
                        Graham

Comment

Thanks Graham appreciate the help

kind regards

Roger

Comment

I find the Metz ring flash does the job well.

Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim, I will take a look at the manual and figure out how to reduce power as even with the diffuser clipped on I am getting light reflections on dragonfly wings, might try adding extra diffuser
                              best regards

Roger

Comment

Working...
                              X