Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter for 12 -60

Hi Guys,

I have just purchased a 12 - 60 lens from a fellow forum member.
    Can anyone advise on the best 72mm filter to slap on this lens for general protection. I assume that it would have to be of the slim fit type given the view on this lens.

All answers gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Re: Filter for 12 -60

Your better off leaving it as it is, UV protectors ruin the picture quality
    Regards James.

Comment

I know it is probably a red card offence to butt into a thread like this but I recently had to sell my 12-60 (with a pro1 uv attached) - however I still have a 72mm pro1 circular polariser for sale in the small ads if you are interested!
      Kevin

Comment

If you must use a "filter" just have a lens protector like the Hoya pro1, plain top quality optical glass. they are not cheap but also do not spoil the optical quality of a good lens.

Comment

I use a B&W KR1.5 filter on virtually all my lens,does not alter the optical quality one bit
          You canít make a great musician or a great photographer if the magic isnít there. ~ Eve Arnold

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.

Comment

I don't use filters for protection any more, as mentioned above, they degrade the image quality. Every lens comes with a cap to protect it, that's what it's for. I always leave the lens hood on when in use to help protect from any knocks.

Steve
            Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
            Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
            My website

Comment

Comment

Yup I use the Hoya pro UV.
                Its surprising how much muck gets onto a lens.
                I also carry a Spudz cloth at all times for lenses including my specs.
                Duncan

Lots of toys.

Comment

Regards James.

Comment

Comment

I'm of the view that lens caps and hoods are the best way to protect your lenses - that's what they're designed for after all - and filters are best for, well, filtering. Anything between the lens and the subject introduces a risk of lens flare, however minimal. There are also those who believe that if you do drop a lens with a glass filter attached then broken glass from said filter is more likely to scratch the lens than the fall. In thirty years of serious photography I've never used a filter (well, did once try a friend's polariser) and never had a scratched lens. But I ALWAYS have a lens hood attached when shooting.
                      Paul

Comment

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by E-3 View Post
                          If Olympus intended people to use protectors, then I am sure they would manufacture them.
                          They did at one time. I have some 49mm Olympus UV filters from 35mm days. It amazes me Oly don't still sell them. The fanboys would instantly conclude they enabled better colour rendering or somesuch and buy them in bulk...

Having said that, after nearly 40 years of religiously using a protective filter, I have come round to the view that UV or "lens protector" filters are only of use in limited circumstances and I no longer have them on all my lenses as default since I have seen evidence of flare with them on.

However, if I go near the sea, or out in fog or anywhere where there may be crud or wet stuff flying around, the filter goes back on.

As to filter depth, I don't have the 12-60, but a standard depth Hoya causes no vignetting on the 11-22 that I've seen.
                          Hugh of Bardfield
                          Essex, UK
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/hughofbardfield/
                          http://hughweller-lewisphotography.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by meach View Post
                            I'm of the view that lens caps and hoods are the best way to protect your lenses - that's what they're designed for after all - and filters are best for, well, filtering. Anything between the lens and the subject introduces a risk of lens flare, however minimal. There are also those who believe that if you do drop a lens with a glass filter attached then broken glass from said filter is more likely to scratch the lens than the fall. In thirty years of serious photography I've never used a filter (well, did once try a friend's polariser) and never had a scratched lens. But I ALWAYS have a lens hood attached when shooting.
                            Agree totally. I take the cap off, take a photo and put the cap back on. The cap is more likely to do a better job of protecting the lens than a glass filter that is going to shatter and possibly do more damage.

I just don't see how a filter protects a lens.

Steve
                            Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
                            Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
                            My website

Comment

Well if one of the 'it destroys the quality' mob can post some with and without images showing me the damage it does to my pictures, I'll happily never use one again... I won't hold my breath waiting in case I die though...

Comment

Working...
                              X