Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

IR Filters - cheap imports from China - very good too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IR Filters - cheap imports from China - very good too!

Hi All

I have been experimenting recently with IR filters, and had one of John B's mounted on my kit 14-42mm lens (shots = Purton Boat Hulks thread). However, I needed one for my Oly 11-22mm lens and have been looking around for some time for a good deal. They are particularly expensive for the 72mm fitting required for the 11-22mm, so when I spotted one for sale for £16, from China... I thought this was worth a punt and ordered one.

I must say, that this is £16 well spent in comparison to what would have been over £100 for a non imported one.

Here's the link if anyone else is interested in purchasing one of the imported ones: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=170335790296

I can thoroughly recommend them. My lens took just a week to arrive after I ordered it, and I am happy with the performance too. I am no IR expert, far from it, but I do like the effects from this filter.

Here's a few samples:

1. Hoya 72mm on 14-42mm lens

2. Hoya 72mm 14-42mm - with slight colouring applied in PP

3. Chinese import IR720, 11-22mm

4. Chinese import, IR720, 11-22mm
    John

Re: IR Filters - cheap imports from China - very good too!

Hmmm....................I think I will get myself one of these. Thanks for the link John

Comment

You're welcome Edward, no problem.

Remember though, I am no expert here, and especially in IR photography, but I must say I rather do like the effect of this filter. It seems to suit my current génre of landscape/seascape shots, as well as my PP style.

I use full 'Manual' mode a lot more now, and used 'M' for these shots too. The exposure differs on different cameras (for the same settings), and on my E-3 I find that apertures between f8 to f13, and speeds from 10s to 30 s are the way to go... hence the cloud movement.

Don't forget to show us your shots when you have some.
      John

Comment

I too no nothing about IR, but it will be fun to learn a new trick! I will let you know when I have got hold of a filter & post some photo`s here for you to see

Comment

John, thanks for the posting.
          This filter looks impressive, I like the first one best.

I take it that you did not modify your camera ?

It will be on my list for when I am back in Holland again in 2 weeks.
          By the way, this seller has the same filter in 58mm too.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Archphoto View Post
            John, thanks for the posting.
            This filter looks impressive, I like the first one best.

I take it that you did not modify your camera ?

It will be on my list for when I am back in Holland again in 2 weeks.
            By the way, this seller has the same filter in 58mm too.

Peter
            You're welcome Peter.

No, I haven't modified the camera, just used a filter on the lenses. I am considering finding out if my E400 could be modified... but the tones of that Kodak sensor are possibly too lurvely to mess with!
            John

Comment

That is what I was hoping for: no mod's to the camera.
              Otherwise IR would become expensive to me after all: I don't want to mess with my E410.

Greetings,
              Peter

Comment

John, Just a couple of questions I`ve thought of:
                1. Will the camera auto focus through this filter, or can you only focus manually?
                2. Do you shoot with the camera set to record colour or mono?........

Comment

Hi Edward

Originally posted by EH1 View Post
                  John, Just a couple of questions I`ve thought of:
                  1. Will the camera auto focus through this filter, or can you only focus manually?
                  No, there's not enough ambient light getting through for the camera to focus. I set mine on manual focus.

The ideal solution is to put everything to manual, then set up and compose your shot prior to placing the IR filter on the lens. Place the IR filter on the lens and then take your shot. I usually ensure the lens is focussed on infinity, and from then tend to use the 'best guess' technique

Originally posted by EH1 View Post
                  2. Do you shoot with the camera set to record colour or mono?........
                  I shoot all my shots in RAW, and in colour. I believe that if you shoot in B&W, that the RAW data is still in colour, so even if you shoot in B&W it makes no real difference if you shoot in RAW.

Hope that helps.
                  John

Comment

Crystal Clear now Thanks John

Comment

Thanks for posting these John, I am thinking about having my E1 converted to a dedicated IR shooter but that will cost well over £200 The benefit being that you are able to use the camera as you would normally as there is no loss of vision i.e. no heavey filter on the lens.

However for £16 or so that's food for thought...........

Comment

WOW, £200 for a IR conversion, that seems very expensive to me Neil. I have to say though, I do like the thought of an IR cam!!
                        John

Comment

IR is much easier with a dedicated cam, however the cost can be a bit much for a hobbyist, I believe prices start at around £250 plus vat although I've yet to get a firm quote for an E1 conversion, more info can be obtained from www.advancedcameraservices.co.uk

As with a lot of these things, I guess it depends how serious you are about IR Photography.

It's a good job us photographers have deep pockets

Comment

Too true Neil, too true indeed. I must find out how much an IR conversion for my E400 would be before I totally dismiss the idea.

Here's another one taken with the el cheapo Chinese IR720 filter. Taken today on the E-3 with the 11-22mm on board.

Tintern Abbey
                            John

Comment

Very impresive, John !

Even whithout the modification one can make exiting photo's......

Congrad's on the results.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                              X