Tripod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tripod?

I'm looking for a reasonably priced Tripod for my E-500 to take camping with me in Exmoor next month. I'm going to be doing alot of walking so I don't want anything too heavy to carry.

The cheaper the better but obviously I want something that will do the job and not fall apart lol.

Can anyone suggest one?

Lisa

Re: Tripod?

Got to answer a question with a question - or two!

How far are you walking - miles and miles/all day? Or just for a couple of hours?

No. 2 - what camera body do you have - does it have IS?

A couple of reasons for this. Earlier in June I went walking up Skiddaw in the Lakes, and knew we were going to stop at the Osprey viewing platform, so I took my tripod - perfect (tho the birds were too far away - nother story).

But then we continued on our climb, and it was one of the first really hot days this year - I nearly died!

So in the current climate, with any distance to go you might want to look at alternatives, like a monopod cum walking stick that converts (screw off handle), or IS.

The issue is that a good tripod is a heavy one, to be stable - a light cheap one won't be.

My view any way - you could of course be a lot younger and fitter than me.
    Mark

http://marklcaton-images.co.uk/zenphoto

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa View Post
      I'm looking for a reasonably priced Tripod for my E-500 to take camping with me in Exmoor next month. I'm going to be doing alot of walking so I don't want anything too heavy to carry.

The cheaper the better but obviously I want something that will do the job and not fall apart lol.

Can anyone suggest one?

Lisa
      Have a look at ebay item 200337667301

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MANFROTTO-...634.m332.l1262

I don't think you will see anything better VFM than this - BUT if you do please let us know
      Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

It's most likely to be only for a couple of hours but that may change to all day. My camera body is an Olympus E-500.

Lets hope we have sunny weather like current climates

Thansk for the link Graham - I'll go take a look.

Lisa

Comment

I think the tripod Graham has pointed out looks like a real bargain! Yes you can find tripods cheaper but they are as much good as chocolate tea pots!

Comment

Hi Lisa - I have a Manfrotto 190ex pro, Manfrotto 785SHB (a small compact) and a LEKI Sierra walking pole (has screw under a wooden handle).
            I wouldn't consider the 190 UNLESS I new exactly what I wanted to shoot i.e pre planned, the 785 is small, compact and light weight. I have lugged this all over the place but it is really only intended for light weight cameras. Your E-500 and standard lenses may be ok, anything heavier you would have to try and see what results you get. My personal choice is the LEKI walking pole as it is very light weight and serves dual roles.
            You might want to go without, this time, and see how often you think you needed some means of support, then base your decision on what you really need.
            Of course if you intend to take long exposures, then you really have no choice, but a good quality (but heavy in your possible price range) one. The carbon fibre ones (strong but light) are very expensive and would cost more than the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Howi View Post
              The carbon fibre ones (strong but light) are very expensive and would cost more than the camera.
              I vaccilated for a long time over getting a 'Benro Flexpod', before finally biting the bullet! It really is a nice bit of kit - well made and finished, with lots of attention to detail. For anyone considering a carbon fibre tripod, I'd recommend a Benro.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Howi View Post
                Hi Lisa - I have a Manfrotto 190ex pro, Manfrotto 785SHB (a small compact) and a LEKI Sierra walking pole (has screw under a wooden handle).
                My other half has the Leki Sierra, and she rarely walks anywhere without it.

Last year, I picked up a french make pole whilst in Gavarnie, Pyrenees, at the start of a long 6-7 hour walk round the cirque. I even used it to support an E-3, 50-200mm and 1.4x when we saw some Chamois - this was pushing it, but got some usable images -

Mark

http://marklcaton-images.co.uk/zenphoto

Comment

Hi

Ffordes have a lot of Manfrotto ex-demo tripods & accessories at the moment: have a look in the second hand part of their website:

https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm
                  Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

I consider the best "Gadget" I ever bought was my HAMA clamp. OK you do need a handy "Thing" to clamp it on but with a little ingenuity all things are possible

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Working...
                    X