Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

L-Bracket for the OM-D E-M1 MKII

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: L-Bracket for the OM-D E-M1 MKII

    Originally posted by ianpiper View Post
    I bought a cheap plate from Amazon: product number B07D3K24DR (since I can't post a url). However, it does not fit well at all and I am returning it. I think I may have to bite the bullet and buy the RRS version.

    On other thing I've noticed about all of these plates; they don't have a tripod hole. It doesn't worry me too much but I suppose if you have one of these straps that attaches via the tripod bush then you might be stuck.

    I really wish Meike would make one for this camera. I have their Fuji X-T2 plate and it is a perfect fit and very high quality.
    Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
    I bought one of these recently. Well made and fits very well. Screen swivel a little compromised, but still very usable.
    They're one & the same L bracket & I had to modify mine to use it. It doesn't have the recessed area to allow a better fit to the base (& can move around) so I added leather around it, not to mention removing a section underneath to allow the battery door to open sufficiently & also if using the L bracket in portrait position it doesn't clamp at the centre of the lens mount with a standard Arca-Swiss clamping base. I also have a more expensive ProMaster one as well & it needed some slight shaving to fit better. Annoyingly, the side bracket is not alligned at the same depth as the base & is further back which then restricts the opening of the screen. I only use mine as a base plate for a better hold & possible tripod mount (landscape only).

    K3237450-s-txt.jpg
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: L-Bracket for the OM-D E-M1 MKII

      Originally posted by ianpiper View Post
      I bought a cheap plate from Amazon: product number B07D3K24DR (since I can't post a url). However, it does not fit well at all and I am returning it. I think I may have to bite the bullet and buy the RRS version.

      On other thing I've noticed about all of these plates; they don't have a tripod hole. It doesn't worry me too much but I suppose if you have one of these straps that attaches via the tripod bush then you might be stuck.

      I really wish Meike would make one for this camera. I have their Fuji X-T2 plate and it is a perfect fit and very high quality.
      Well, I went for the RRD plate eventually, and I must say it's a gem. It's not apparent from their web pages, but the finish on the plate is quite superb; silky smooth metal, rounded surfaces; couldn't be more different from the eBay knock-offs. It is a precise, exact fit for the camera. It has an extra screw thread on the lens axis for a tripod. It fits my 3-legged thing tripod exactly. One nice touch; it includes an allen key held in place in the bottom surface by magnets; very neat. I bought it direct from the website and paid the VAT, duty and delivery charges. Pricey but I think the quality merits the cost. Highly recommended.

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: L-Bracket for the OM-D E-M1 MKII

        Originally posted by ianpiper View Post
        Well, I went for the RRD plate eventually, and I must say it's a gem. It's not apparent from their web pages, but the finish on the plate is quite superb; silky smooth metal, rounded surfaces; couldn't be more different from the eBay knock-offs. It is a precise, exact fit for the camera. It has an extra screw thread on the lens axis for a tripod. It fits my 3-legged thing tripod exactly. One nice touch; it includes an allen key held in place in the bottom surface by magnets; very neat. I bought it direct from the website and paid the VAT, duty and delivery charges. Pricey but I think the quality merits the cost. Highly recommended.
        The Pro Master version isn't all that cheap (& not a cheap 'knock-off'), but obviously not as nicely designed (& made) as the RRS version though, but since I mostly only use the bottom plate the Pro Master is fine (after some very slight shaving to fit better) to extend the grip for my little 'pinky'. It is both Arca-Swiss mountable as well as providing a tripod mounting screw hole which would probably only be used if I'm videoing on my Velbon tripod, otherwise I've gone Arca-Swiss with the others.
        Ross
        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: L-Bracket for the OM-D E-M1 MKII

          Originally posted by ianpiper View Post
          Well, I went for the RRD plate eventually.
          I meant RRS - sorry for the typo if you've been searching the web for RRD plates!

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: L-Bracket for the OM-D E-M1 MKII

            Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
            Search this is Ebay:

            L-shaped Angle Flash Speedlite Bracket Tray Dual Hot Shoe for DSLR Camera DV

            I bought a couple for my A7R but they work fine for the EM-1 too.

            I use both cameras with a power battery grip.

            Harold
            There is a need for caution in storing this.

            The bracket has two flash shoe positions, one horizontal on the top and one at 45 degrees, above the handle. Each of these grips the flash foot in position via a sliding V-section (flash side) plate which is tensioned by two tiny coiled springs (not visible until taken apart). A bolt with a black grip knob is turned to tighten the grip.

            I may have used my bracket once, soon after I bought it, and have carried it around in any of three camera bags on many trips.

            Yesterday I noticed that one of these clamps had the V-section, the tightening bolt (and spacer collar) and one of the springs missing. I searched carefully through each bag in turn, using a powerful neodymium magnet to grab the spring. Only when I got to the third bag did I find the clamp and tightening bolt a& collar but no spring.

            Before I did the above searches I had checked the floor of this room, where I often move items between bags, expecting all parts to be visible. So I returned to this, using the magnet. Although I couldn't see, it the magnet found it in about a minute.

            Now I know to check regularly that these clamps are tightened when not in use. If necessary, I will tape each up.

            Harold
            The body is willing but the mind is weak.

            Comment


            • #36

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Truxten Spangler View Post
                Re: L-Bracket for the OM-D E-M1 MKII

                Has anyone tried this:http://www.mengsphoto.com/portfolio_...ounting-screw/
                Just checked, that Mengsphoto L bracket shown do work as I have something similar bought off AliExpress.

                Just search for LB-EM1. That should be the correct L bracket for EM1mk2
                * Henry
                * Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor
                * Malaysia


                All my garbage so far.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Truxten Spangler View Post
                  Re: L-Bracket for the OM-D E-M1 MKII

                  Has anyone tried this:http://www.mengsphoto.com/portfolio_...ounting-screw/
                  I have one which I bought for my E-M1 Mk I. It does not even come close to fiting onto the Mk II camera. I ended up with another third party one which fits perfectly and looks good.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D3K24DR


                  Ian.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Looked at the Mengsphoto link and this is the bracket that I bought cheap on eBay. The illustration looked to be OK and that has proved to be the case. It fits the MKii perfectly, with good profile and battery door clearance. The four small holes line up with four 'pimples' on the camera body base and it's well made and nicely finished. Excellent value.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Having followed this, on and off, from the start, I think some clarification in terminology would be useful.

                      In film days, an L-bracket meant only one thing. It was for mounting the flash alongside the camera and slightly above it, press style.

                      What was wanted was an L-plate, which seems to be mainly for mounting the camera in portrait orientation on a tripod, quite a different piece of kit!

                      Harold
                      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X