Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filters for Oly E-500

Hi there,

I have had my E-500 for a while now and would like to start experimenting with filters.

I have been advised to get a UV protection filter and possibly a CPL filter. I enjoy photgraphing landscapes (water) and nature.

How do these filters attach to lenses?

I have Olympus 17.5-45mm and 40-200mm lenses. Do I need to get adapters to attach them?

The filters I have seen are female thread.

Thanks on advance.

Eve

Re: Filters for Oly E-500

A UV filter's primary role is to act as lens protection. A circular polarizing filter (CPL) is for enriching and deepening colours in sunlight, particularly when the sun is at right-angles to the camera. Both of these screw into the thread at the end of the lens. Obviously you need to ensure that you get the correct size of filter - in your case I think it is 58mm.
    Oh, and welcome!
    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the reply and info. I asked about the connection of the lens as It doesn't look like there are any threads on the end of my lenses! Well, I've ordered a UV filter to test!

Thanks again,

Eve

Comment

It's a fine internal thread on the end of the lens. Most filters also have an internal thread on the "other" end so you can fit more than one filter - by "stacking" them.
        Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
          A UV filter's primary role is to act as lens protection. A circular polarizing filter (CPL) is for enriching and deepening colours in sunlight, particularly when the sun is at right-angles to the camera. Both of these screw into the thread at the end of the lens. Obviously you need to ensure that you get the correct size of filter - in your case I think it is 58mm.
          Oh, and welcome!
          Eve

Stephen is right in all he says. but I would say the first part more forcefully

You really should have a UV filter on your lenses when you don't have anything else on them - a scratch to a filter means you replace it at minimal cost - a scratch to a lens is a lens ruined !

A CPL gives you a wonderful choice of richness available to you, but DONT buy a cheap one - I've had some and they do horrible things to the colours.

Regards
          Andy
          My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
          4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
          m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
          FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
          The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
          http://www.shenstone.me.uk
          http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
          https://vimeo.com/shenstone
          http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

I strongly disagree to keep an UV filter permanently on your lens.
            True, it gives some protection, but modern lenses have a good scratch resistent coating nowadays. And a filter (especially if it is a cheap one) will only deteriorate the picture quality (less sharpness, lens flare, etc).

Be advised you should only buy an UV filer with a MRC coating, for instance the B+W MRC series.
            Maybe you should also read this article.

Karel
            Visit my panorama site: http://www.360vr.nl
            Twitter: 360vr_nl

Comment

I am ambivalent about keeping a UV filter permanently on a lens. Karel is absolutely correct - in theory
              ANY piece of glass in front of a lens MUST cause a degradation in quality. BUT, as long as you use a top-quality filter, in practice you won't see a difference (unless you are a pixel-peeper ).
              More important for lens protection is the use of the supplied lens hood.
              Last edited by StephenL; 17th January 2009, 05:54 PM. Reason: speeling
              Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

The 17.5-45mm should be 52mm filters, cant say I've come across a 40-200mm? though. Maybe the 40-150mm which is 58mm filters, or 50-200mm which is 67mm filters?
                E500 - E600 - E620 - HLD5 x2 - 17.5-45mm - 14-42mm - 14-45mm - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - 25mm f2.8 - 40-150mmMI (3.5) - Sirius 60-300mm f4-5.6 - Chinon 55mm f1.4 - Chinon 200mm f3.5 - FL50 - FL36 - Raynox DCR2020PRO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photonutter/

Comment

Okay - I'm not an expert but this is what I have learnt over the past few months.

Filter - yes get one for your lens, to at least protect it.
                  The two most common used for this purpose are UV and skylight.
                  On the lens (or in the specification) you should find the size of filter needed. The lenses I have are as follows: 17.5-45 = 52mm, 14-42, 40-150 and 70-300 all = 58mm and 14-54 = 67mm

Yes you can put filters upon each other if you wish, as they are double threaded.
                  Other filters I bought to experiment with were circular polarising filter, seemed to help reduce reflection of water or other reflective surfaces.
                  I also bought an Neutral Density filter which helps reduce the light into the lens allowing you to decrease the shutter speed to blur water (or make people or other moving object disappear!)

I bought these cheap off ebay Ebay (though from UK sellers) just to play with.

Hope all this helps! written so much I have forgotten the question!!
                  My RedBubble pages

Comment

Working...
                  X