Equipment Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment Storage

I was wondering if anyone can offer advice at how best to store our beloved equipment when not being used. I currently have them sitting on a shelf but prefer something more elegant, protective and away from prying eyes.

I saw a friend of mine using an aluminium storage case and thought that was a good idea, but I am guessing they are generally made for large DSLRs and therefore was wondering if there is a "slimline" range/version for the Olympus.

Thanks

Simon

Re: Equipment Storage

How about one or two of those hard plastic briefcases, the Samsonite look-alikes, and put some of that "pluckfoam" in it cut to the shape of the individual lenses and bodies?
    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Ah old attache cases - I've got some lying around when it was fashionable to use them for work.

Otherwise Amazon seem to have a good selection of aluminium flight cases - not sure what depth to get them? I dont plan to use them for carrying, just for storage whilst at home.

Thanks

Comment

My OM kit lives in an aluminium case with diced foam (Jessops branded, from 30 years ago). Short lenses up to 80mm go in vertical, longer lenses lay down. My OM40 and OM4Ti will just go in vertical (as will my E-M5 Mk1 which is almost exactly the same size) even though the hump touches the scales at 85mm. The case itself is 125mm deep x 430mm x 340mm and has a shoulder strap.

Or you could go to Staples (other stores are available) and get yourself a plasctic crate and wrap everything in a sheet of thin foam or bubblewrap. The under bed crates are not very deep so you will not be stacking things inside.
        Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
        Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
        Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
        Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
        Learn something new every day

Comment

A couple of Pelican cases with dividers rather than foam for the important stuff and a couple of aluminium cases for the rest.
          It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
            A couple of Pelican cases with dividers rather than foam for the important stuff and a couple of aluminium cases for the rest.
            I'll 'second' that,

Kind regards, Simon
            “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
            ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

The Pelican warranty always amused me. A lifetime warranty against everything but bears and children under 5.

Having seen a 'bear proof' garbage can ripped open by one of the local black bears last summer I can understand the bear part.
              It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

With high humidity in Malaysia, we normally keep our gears in dry boxes to protect them from fungus. I have one for my Oly system & another for my Nikon gear. Maybe in UK, you don't need dry boxes.

Comment

I've got a B&W Outdoor Case:

http://www.b-w-international.com/ind.../produktfinder

They're at least as good as a Peli.

Mine's a 'Type 90', which I bought in a sale. I don't think B&W do them anymore:

http://procam.com/b-w-outdoor-case-type-90

It's a very high quality bit of kit.

I keep my lenses in it with a couple of silica gel packages to guard against humidity and fungus:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-PCS-Sili...item5d513226d4

Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X