Battery charging 'in the field'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery charging 'in the field'

Does anyone know if there's a solution to charging OMD batteries when out and about / traveling?

My biggest fear with these cameras is being caught short in the power department.

Re: Battery charging 'in the field'

Been there done that. I believe ExPro make a charger with you can charge from a cigar lighter

Comment

Thanks Peter, I've just ordered some ExPro batteries so maybe should have got the charger too.

Are you aware of any chargers that would work form USB (is that even possible given the low voltage)?

Comment

I have the ExPro charger and it does indeed charge Expro batteries from 12V.
        Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
        Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
        Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
        Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
        Learn something new every day

Comment

I've used a folding solar panel designed for automotive voltages, then fed that to battery charger from Wasabi (charger works just fine with Olympus batteries and has a 12vdc input and comes with "cigar" socket plug as well as AC mains). Sunlight required, however.
          http://technopeasant.org

Comment

Originally posted by Nawty View Post
            Thanks Peter, I've just ordered some ExPro batteries so maybe should have got the charger too.

Are you aware of any chargers that would work form USB (is that even possible given the low voltage)?
            The only ones I know & use on the EX-Pro charger is a Juice Pack sort of thing called a Powergorilla. Even run my Macbook from that. Got mine on E-bay a lot cheaper
            [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powertraveller-Powergorilla-Multi-Voltage-Portable-Charger/dp/B001FQP1MK"]Powertraveller Powergorilla Multi-Voltage Portable Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419hqfKXEEL.@@AMEPARAM@@419hqfKXEEL[/ame]

Comment

Although you have already ordered a car charger, another option would have been to buy an inverter like this one. I've used one of these for ten years without any hiccups. I use it for my laptop and my son't DVD player too.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't have the car charger. Yet.

Not that it would necessarily solve my problem, if I even have a problem...

Like I said, my main fear of the OMDs (or CSCs in general) is that I'll run out of juice when I'm on one of my remote holidays - Kilimanjaro or safari for example. With those trips I knew 4 full batteries in my DSLR would last longer than I could possibly need.

I wonder how many I would need for my EM10 (or planned EM1)?

The power monkey looks good if a bit too bulky - I'll see if I can find anything smaller

Comment

PowerTraveller make excellent kit - I must have the biggest collection of their chargers, adapters, plug tips, wires, phone and laptop backup batteries and nicad chargers in the known universe. It's been used by myself and both daughters in trips across the globe and so far nothing has ever failed.

However, early on we did get one of their solar chargers for my elder daughter to use on a hiking trip in Namibia about 8 years ago: it wasn't very good, but to be fair the technology has probably improved a lot since.
                  Regards,
                  Mark

------------------------------
                  http://www.microcontrast.com
                  Too much Oly gear.
                  Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                  Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawty View Post
                    Thanks for the suggestions, I don't have the car charger. Yet.

Not that it would necessarily solve my problem, if I even have a problem...

Like I said, my main fear of the OMDs (or CSCs in general) is that I'll run out of juice when I'm on one of my remote holidays - Kilimanjaro or safari for example. With those trips I knew 4 full batteries in my DSLR would last longer than I could possibly need.

I wonder how many I would need for my EM10 (or planned EM1)?

The power monkey looks good if a bit too bulky - I'll see if I can find anything smaller
                    I find that, on photography-intensive trips, my EP-2 or EM-1 use about 1.5 charged batteries a day. I don't use AF and turn the camera off when subjects are not readily available. I suggest that you allow one per day.

Some chargers, such as the Olympus BCN-1, can detect whether the mains voltage is 110 0or 230 V and set itself accordingly.

For AAs, for flash, I recommend a 'smart' charger and have found the Tronic KH980 excellent. I takes AAA, AA, C, D and 9V.

Harold
                    The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

If size is a concern, the Wasabi units are about as small as possible, accept 110-240 volts and come with a "European" plug.
                      I was "off the grid" for two weeks and used a folding solar panel every day while backpacking. Panel was about the size of a magazine, folded, for charging the same batteries the em-10 uses. Charging took about four hours, more or less the same as an auto charger (also included). 3000 photos, three batteries. Only thing I'd do differently is bring a second charging unit as a backup.
                      http://technopeasant.org

Comment

Following on from the above, what are the thoughts of Expro battery users? Good experiences or bad.

Comment

http://www.exprodirect.com/ex-pro-ol...usb-cable.html

Comment

Quite a few people here have used Ex-Pro batteries and from what I can remember most report favourably. There are various threads about these and other third-party brands, best bet is to try to find them using the forum search.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
                              Quite a few people here have used Ex-Pro batteries and from what I can remember most report favourably. There are various threads about these and other third-party brands, best bet is to try to find them using the forum search.

John
                              I use them all the time. I think the capacity is a bit lower that Olympus ones. The main problem is some are a tight fit.

Harold
                              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Working...
                              X