Battery charging 'in the field'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battery charging 'in the field'

Happy with Ex-Pro batteries and chargers. Have used them for E-M5 and E-M1 and also for the Panasonic GM5.

Comment

I've bought a Hahnel charger that runs off mains and car battery. It charges 3.7 and 7.4V Li-Ion cells, AA & AAA NiMh cells and also can charge USB devices (phones etc).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camera-Ba...ger/B009LM3V5E
      Steve

Comment

Having moved completely over to Sony, which go through batteries like a dose of salts, I can charge my battery in-camera using a portable power pack with USB connection.
        The one I use has a wee solar panel so that it can recharge itself when out and about.

A great idea that other camera manufacturers would do well to take on board.
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/eos-mike/

www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

Comment

The Hahnel Cube comes with a 12v car lead.
          David

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mstphoto View Post
            Having moved completely over to Sony, which go through batteries like a dose of salts, I can charge my battery in-camera using a portable power pack with USB connection.
            The one I use has a wee solar panel so that it can recharge itself when out and about.

A great idea that other camera manufacturers would do well to take on board.
            Yes, a lot of Fujis can be charged in this way as well: very useful.
            Regards,
            Mark

------------------------------
            http://www.microcontrast.com
            Too much Oly gear.
            Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
            Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

My XZ-10 also can be charged via a USB socket. I wish the OM-Ds could as well - maybe a future feature?
              Regards
              Richard

Comment

I have a Panasonic TZ100 that has USB charging and no external charger. While it can be convenient in some ways, it also means you can't charge your battery while continuing to use the camera. I guess you could cobble something together with a power pack that would let you do so, but a bit ungainly. It's the reason I bought the Hahnel charger I mentioned in my earlier post.

I'd only be happy to see USB charging on the OM-Ds as long as they continued to provide an external charger as well.
                Steve

Comment

I always carry at least two spare, charged batteries.

Most of the time I have the HDL-7 attached. The default is that the battery in that is used first, leaving the one in the camera for backup. When the one in the HDL-7 is exhausted, even with a flash L-bracket attached, it is far easier to access and replace that one than the one in the camera.

Harold
                  The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

I'm not convinced that USB charging is such a great idea - the built-in DC-DC converter would add weight and thermal management issues to the camera. (The BLH battery provides 7.4v and has a capacity of ~ 12.8Wh.)

Better to have an efficient external charger and good camera ergonomics for changing the battery.
                    Last edited by Gwyver; 30th January 2017, 05:29 PM. Reason: typo
                    Chris

Comment

I have been toying with the idea of getting a USB Neewer BLN charger as they are cheap on eBay and then getting a couple of Ex-Pro batteries. Have anyone tried the white ones? Are they any better than the standard grey? Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by alsuser View Post
                        I have been toying with the idea of getting a USB Neewer BLN charger as they are cheap on eBay and then getting a couple of Ex-Pro batteries. Have anyone tried the white ones? Are they any better than the standard grey? Cheers!
                        I have grey ones and had to sand down the bulge half way down to get them in and out of the camera. Maybe the white ones are improved?

Harold

Comment

I have the grey ones and have no problem with fitting them.
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                            I have grey ones and had to sand down the bulge half way down to get them in and out of the camera. Maybe the white ones are improved?

Harold
                            That doesn't sound good. Was it the cells bulging or manufacturing flaw with the casing? I have read some reviews on different third party batteries saying that the battery they got were a tight fit in the chamber and this is what is putting me off buying them

Comment

That doesn't sound good. Was it the cells bulging or manufacturing flaw with the casing? I have read some reviews on different third party batteries saying that the battery they got were a tight fit in the chamber and this is what is putting me off buying them
                              I only know it was the batteries, my genuine one slipping in and out easily.

Harold

Comment

I have that charger and those batteries, the charger is great and the batteries are ok but not great, fine for an emergency backup but if you are intending to regularly use more than one battery then I think the OEM ones are a better choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X