Monopod help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monopod help

This has probaly been done before but I am looking to get a monopod for my upcoming trip to Cornwall.It will be used as additional support when using the Sigma 50-500mm and also for macro with the 50mm and EC14.
    I am leaning towards the Manfrotto 680B with one of their small ballheads.
    Has anyone used this or have any other ideas.

Thanks.
    All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Re: Monopod help

I have the Manfrotto 679B (don't know what the difference is) with the Manfrotto 484 RC2 ballhead. Not the lightest combo in the world, but it's solid. I chose this head partly for quick-release plate compatability with my other Manfrotto heads. You will need something solid for the Bigma!
    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by andym View Post
      This has probaly been done before but I am looking to get a monopod for my upcoming trip to Cornwall.It will be used as additional support when using the Sigma 50-500mm and also for macro with the 50mm and EC14.
      I am leaning towards the Manfrotto 680B with one of their small ballheads.
      Has anyone used this or have any other ideas.

Thanks.
      Well I use the Benbo trekker monopod, like all their kit it is solid and will happily withstand standing in a foot or two of water. It is also quite cheap (seems to be selling at about £30 online). It has a simple rotating section that can be locked at the top that removes the need for a ball head

Not bad as an emergency walking stick either.

Haven't tried it with a 50-500.

Nick
      Last edited by Nick Temple-Fry; 15th July 2008, 09:59 AM. Reason: surplus m
      Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
      www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

I like the benbo, it comes with a head as well

Comment

Just my two pennys worth but I recently bought a Giottos monopod (one of the MM95xx range but I can't remember which one!) and am very happy with it.

I wanted it for some motorsports photography and have used it with the E500+EC14+Sigma 135-400 without problem. It includes a two way head which works well to eliminate any distortion caused from having the monopod at an angle (which I found works best for stability), and panning can be achieved by rotating the whole monopod (the foot has a ball socket that allows this without risking slipping).

I had looked around for some time and in the end went with Giottos due to the cost and as I already had their tripod which is great (you just sort of know hen something is well engineered and precise).

Their web site is http://www.giottos.com/ but you cant order directly from them, I just Googled the product number to find a suppler (Foto Sense I think).

Hope you find what your looking for.

Jason.
          Jason.

E-M1, E-M5, EP-3, E1
          ZD 9-18, 12-60, 14-54, 50-200, 70-300, 12-50, 40-150, EC14, EC20, EX25
          Sigma 30

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gadgeteer2004/

Comment

Hey Andy

I have the Manfrotto 681 tripod and 484RC2 head and find them awesome to use with the Bigma. I don't find them light, but strong... oh yea!! The monopod has flick release latches rather than twist around ones - some say the twist releases are quieter but I've never noticed any undue noise when releasing the legs.

With the 484RC2 head I find it very useful when using the Bigma as I can tighten the ball/socket head to such a point that the camera and lens won't move without some additional effort on my part - this is useful for when you need some degrees of rotation for getting your shots.

All in all - a great choice I'd say.

Enjoy Cornwall...!
            John

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone.

Ended up buying Chris(Chllimonster)'s Manfrotto 680B yesterday.
              All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
              X