Wrist strap or neck strap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrist strap or neck strap?

I tend to prefer a wrist strap for a smaller camera and then drop it back into my camera bag when I won't be needing it for a moment or two. I don't like things dangling round my next and bouncing off my body as I walk. My EOS 5D is an exception since that is much bigger and has bigger and heavier lenses. I have no choice for that.

With the OM-D, I think a wrist strap will be fine for normal street photography but, and I have yet to try this as I've only just got the camera, I was wondering whether a neck strap would be a better choice for candid work where I am firing the shutter from the LCD screen.

How does everybody else work with regards to straps?

Re: Wrist strap or neck strap?

I use a Y strap, which connects onto one ring and goes diagonally across the shoulders. It allows the camera to slide up and down the strap. Cleverer people than I, eg Snaarman, have made their own variant on this. I bought mine ready-made!
    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

David

I have a palm strap on my E3, which supports the weight nicely and fastens securely round the back of my hand, with the battery pack fitted and usually my 50-200mm, and sometimes with the flash on top. It,s a heavy combo, which I don't want hanging round the neck, and looking like a tourist. I can then place it in or take it out of the bag in a single move.

It works for me, the action is natural to bring your hand up and shoot, and I found a neck strap get's in the way.

What a relief it is though, to fit a smaller lens and remove the battery pack. But I find it almost impossible to shoot using live view.

I also hear through the grapevine, that Oly are in discussion with Ray Ban the glasses people, to develop an OM-D micro mount, which attaches to sunglasses and supports the OM-D in front of the user.

Also rumoured was that I am able to take quality shot,s.

Best wishes........... Alan
      Blackadder: "Allow me to be the first to offer Dr. Johnson my most sincere contrafibularities! I am anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused him such pericombobulation."

Comment

I have both
        If you fit them with small quick releases (mine a nicked from those ID necklasses many of us wear at work) they take seconds to change
        E1, E520, ED14-42, ED 40-150, 70-300, Various legacy including 50mm f2 macro.

Comment

By the way............ another forum member put me on to these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-1-4-Scr...item415dfad7ff

They are very good for a y combo
          E1, E520, ED14-42, ED 40-150, 70-300, Various legacy including 50mm f2 macro.

Comment

IMO (and IMO only), a wrist strap does not seem "right" in an SLR-look camera, however small. Moreover, it would feel awkward if using with one of the longer zoom lenses including the 12-50mm. A camera like that hanging around your neck looks more 'professional', part of the attraction of that retro look.

Comment

I have made an over the shoulder strap with some webbing and a couple of nylon buckles. The camera is attatched via a heavy duty ring with a small carabina through it, on the camera, E5, I have a short single strap through the right hand eylet on which is another heavy duty ring.

I find it works well for me as the camera is at my side out of the way when walking etc but within easy reach when you want it. Depending what I am doing I will use it while on the strap or it is easily removable to use without a strap.

The principle is very much the same as the BlackRapid strap: http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/

Ta Yorkie
              Yorkie

OMD EM-1 MkII, 40-150mm Pro, 12-40mm Pro, 75-300mm, Oly 60mm f2.8 Macro, Oly 45mm, FL-50R, Manfrotto 190XPro/Mag Head

Gallery and web site at: http://harphoto.smugmug.com/

Comment

I put the 'Q-strap' plate on the bottom that also allows a grip strap to be attached & found it works very well (also with the 'Q-strap'). I didn't leave it on as I was off to a 'sit down' indoor event where I needed 2 cameras (didn't have the MMF-3 adapter at that stage) & thought it would be better hanging off my neck while I used the E30. I also have the double Q-strap for when I really want to look like a nerd. I think I need to make a quick attachment for the neck strap for when I need it & leave the plate & grip strap (small, cheap one off ebay) on.

When I get the HLD-6 grip, I will probably make a padded bracket similar to this to suit.
                Ross
                I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

I've tried the Black Rapid style of connection, via the tripod socket, and for me it just doesn't dangle right.
                  Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

But what is wrong with the understated but original Olympus strap that comes with the OM-D kit? It looks and feels sturdy enough.

Comment

I use a combination of wrist strap and webbing strap like this:

When I want the wrist strap only I just unclip the webbing strap from the wrist strap and camera. Most of the time I carry the camera with the webbing strap diagonally over the shoulder. Attaching the webbing to the wrist strap increases the length sufficiently for me to use the camera comfortably at waist level or raise it to the eye as required. But sometimes if I'm carrying the camera in a bag it's handy to be able to take the webbing strap off to reduce bulk.

I bought the webbing strap about 20 years ago to use with my OM1 so I don't know if such a thing is made now.
                      Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
                      OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
                      cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Loup Garou View Post
                        But what is wrong with the understated but original Olympus strap that comes with the OM-D kit? It looks and feels sturdy enough.
                        I don't like neck straps. make me look like a tourist
                        Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                          I don't like neck straps. make me look like a tourist
                          I have seen a few pros at weddings, parties etc with neck straps. Easier with both hands free when you have to shake hands, accept drinks or pinch bottoms.

Comment

But with a Y strap you can tuck the camera to one side if you want to hug someone or, more likely, chase a wayward Jack Russell!
                            Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                              But with a Y strap you can tuck the camera to one side if you want to hug someone or, more likely, chase a wayward Jack Russell!
                              Stephen, I NEVER chase wayward JR's BUT MAD & FAST English Springer Spaniels YES

while wearing my Ladies "Black Rapido"
                              [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Rapid-Womans-Camera-Strap/dp/B003OXOV1O/ref=sr_1_38?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339877922&s r=1-38[/ame]
                              [I].
                              I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                              Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Working...
                              X