Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Wrist strap or neck strap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wrist strap or neck strap?

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
    I've tried the Black Rapid style of connection, via the tripod socket, and for me it just doesn't dangle right.
    I would agree with that too & that's why I like the lower corner point of connection with a sling strap (Black Rapid, Q-Strap or one of the others). The lens the points towards the back while a mounted flash points forward & leaves the hands free for all of the above, but not to pinch bottoms. (look, but don't touch ) When the grip strap is attached it is then right where it needs to be to slip the hand in. The other disadvantage with the direct connection to the tripod socket is when attached to the portrait battery grip, as it it an uncomfortable lump in the palm of the hand & thats why I made my own padded plate instead. Infact, it made the portrait grip more comfortable with the added roundness to the grip.

If in a crowded situation, it is easy to hold the camera around in front to protect it from bumps.

I don't like neck straps. make me look like a tourist
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I feel the same way too & I look to look 'cool' with the sling strap.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

I've tried the Black Rapid style of connection, via the tripod socket, and for me it just doesn't dangle right.
      Hmmm! Stephen, Maybe you had the Ladies version ? if your "missing the important bits" for the strap to lay between it will not dangle right iykwim aityd
      [I].
      I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
      Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

The thing I don't get about wrist straps is - how do you change lenses. With a neck or diagonal strap my method is:

1: get new lens out of bag, remove back cap and hold in teeth (you can shake it and growl at this point)

2: One hand holds camera, and removes old lens - while other hand continues to hold new lens.

3: Now the critical bit: The camera dangles lensless for a second or two as you click the new lens on.

4: Finally you can dry the back cap off and put it on the old lens. At this point you can stop growling as well.

How do you manage this with a wrist strap?

Pete
        Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

I've tried the Black Rapid style of connection, for me it just doesn't dangle right.
          I am sorry to hear that. Perhaps you should see your GP about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Loup Garou View Post
            I am sorry to hear that. Perhaps you should see your GP about ut?
            NOT the French implants ... they leak, so are unreliable "rests"

[I].
            I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
            Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
              NOT the French implants ... they leak, so are unreliable "rests"

Let's not confuse dangleitis with droopyitis...

Mind you, women may not have the same problem as men when it comes to changing lenses - see Pete's concern earlier. Women have a convenient and well padded location for temporarily supporting a small M43 lens while swapping lenses. It adds a whole new dimension to "does this lens fit your body?"

Comment

Originally posted by SteelD View Post
                Women have a convenient and well padded location for temporarily supporting a small M43 lens while swapping lenses. It adds a whole new dimension to "does this lens fit your body?"
                Now I know the real reason for the OM-D's popularity. Must be that nice looking 12-50mm zoom that comes with the kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                  Hmmm! Stephen, Maybe you had the Ladies version ? if your "missing the important bits" for the strap to lay between it will not dangle right iykwim aityd
                  Depends on the length (of the strap).

After reading Snaarman's lens-changing instructions, it sounds like Dibnah may be called into play. She's got growling and shaking it about down to a fine art.

Thinking laterally, I wonder if you can get panniers for Jack Russells?
                  Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

I am sorry to hear that. Perhaps you should see your GP about it?
                    Think he's fed up seeing me about my arthritis, impingement, and diabetes. Don't know what he'd make of the dangle (or should it be droop?)
                    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Think he's fed up seeing me about my arthritis, impingement, and diabetes. Don't know what he'd make of the dangle (or should it be droop?)
                      Dried arrangement?
                      Ross
                      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

But what is wrong with the understated but original Olympus strap that comes with the OM-D kit? It looks and feels sturdy enough.
                        You might be right Loup. I've tried a Gordy wrist strap but feel that a small neckstrap might be better. The original strap looks classy and doesn't look overly large so I might give it a go.

Comment

I think it comes down to deciding how you want to carry the camera around.

I don't feel comfortable walking around with a camera hung round my neck, and so keep it in a protective shoulder bag (either on its own or with extra lenses). My LowePro bags are waterproof and so are ideal when simply travelling from place to place in our current weather conditions

When actively seeking photos, I prefer to hold the camera in my hand with a wrist strap to give added security. I have Gordy straps for my Lumix cameras and had transferred one to my E-M5, but now have an Olympus Pen "Hand Strap" for my E-M5. It's a bit longer and wider than the Gordy's which makes it easier to slip your hand in. When the camera is back in its bag, the strap just folds over the top.

Chris
                          Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Comment

Chris, that's my preferred mode of operation but I like street and candid photography and am tempted by the idea of holding the camera at waist level and firing the shutter from the touch screen. This approach strikes me as being more practical with the neck strap. Has anybody tried this with neck and wrist straps - what worked better?

What I really want is a quick change strap system...

Comment

I confess that I dislike wrist straps and use them only if I have to. I do not feel comfortable about having anything continuously around my wrist except a watch. Even with compacts, I have a camera case with a neck strap and use the wrist lanyard only to secure the camera while actually taking photographs. With SLRs I usually have a camera bag over the shoulder and when I take the camera out, I put on the neck strap. I have been doing that for years and am used to it.

Comment

With my 5D, I work as Loup does but with my Fujifilm X10, I use a wrist strap. The OM-D is an in-between camera and I can envisage situations where a wrist strap will work better and situations where a neck strap would be better. I might try Chris' solution first and maybe experiment with a bigger wrist strap - the Gordy I have is a good strap but I want something a little bigger to quickly slip my hand into.

Comment

Working...
                                X