Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

Anybody with a ThinkTank Retrospective bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody with a ThinkTank Retrospective bag? UPDATE

So, I got the bag and am now in the process of returning it. It's not for me. The size, colour, and layout all work for me except for the method of closing the bag. The risk of losing something out of this bag is too high. The bigger Retrospective bags probably work for full-size DSLRs and lenses but the 5 is designed for smaller cameras like M43 and the same method of closure doesn't work so well with smaller M43 lenses and accessories.

So, the size is ideal for M43 and a few lenses:

but there is no zip, Velcro or flap to secure the contents on the inside:

and the main (outer) flap is only secured (sometimes quite weakly) by two average size Velcro patches:

leaving a big enough gap for an M43 lens or accessory to fall out when the bag is put down (or even if you run with the bag):

So, though I don't think that Billingham bags are as inconspicuous (they look too classy), I am tempted to go for a Hadley Small as I know my camera will be protected and the bag will be about the right size.

Comment

Re: Anybody with a ThinkTank Retrospective bag?

David, strange how two people's opinion of the same thing can vary. If my enthusiasm for the Retrospective 5 was misleading, then sorry for that.

However, here's a grab of my bag, with kit in it and I feel that the likelihood of losing any kit is remote (enough for me, that is). When the bag is empty there does appear to be more slack.

Colin
      "Don't blame me..."

Comment

Re: Anybody with a ThinkTank Retrospective bag?

Originally posted by George Dorn View Post
        David, strange how two people's opinion of the same thing can vary. If my enthusiasm for the Retrospective 5 was misleading, then sorry for that.
        No problem. I just that I can see that when I'm flying and the bag goes in the overhead locker, there's every chance of a lens or the OM-D flash falling out and perhaps me not noticing. I just don't want to take that risk.

I did consider modifying the bag in some way but decided against it as it didn't appear too easy to modify without ruining the look of it and at that price level, I shouldn't expect to have to make up for such shortcomings myself. As I said, with bigger kit inside the bag, it might well work but I'd rather have the peace of mind that everything is secure inside the bag. It's one less thing to worry about.

Comment

Working...
        X