Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UV filters?

Hi

I haven't purchased any UV filters for quite a few years, have been using various brands (Hoya, B+W, Tiffen) and wonder if there are any ones that are today regarded high quality with little negative impact on performance of digital SLR. Also are there any noticeable differences between grades, are there any ones that stand out? (good or bad)

My question may seem a bit broad but before spending money on new filters I would like to listen to your opinions.

Thanks,
    Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Re: UV filters?

I no longer tend to use any filter as a 'lens protector' - on any of my kit now. Yes of course, you need to take the usual good care when handling lenses and especially when placing them down on surfaces etc, but I don't see the point of putting a piece of cheap glass in front of a relatively very expensive piece of glass...!
    John

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
      I no longer tend to use any filter as a 'lens protector' - on any of my kit now. Yes of course, you need to take the usual good care when handling lenses and especially when placing them down on surfaces etc, but I don't see the point of putting a piece of cheap glass in front of a relatively very expensive piece of glass...!
      Ditto here as well.
      Regards Paul.
      One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
        Does that apply to all filters?

Comment

Originally posted by abacus180 View Post
          Does that apply to all filters?
          Of course... but when all the filter does essentially is add an additional layer of glass in front of the lens as pseudo protection for it - without any additional benefit or result, then this is, in my opinion, just not worth it.

If you are trying to do something with say an ND grad, or a 10-stopper ND110, or perhaps an IR720 filter - these are not so easily achieved without the use of the filter.

Doing this with these filters allows you to achieve more than just adding another layer of cheap glass in front of the lens.
          John

Comment

Working...
          X