Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

BLM-1 replacement query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLM-1 replacement query

Hi,

I have a 3-year old original Oly BLM-1 battery. This made me wonder how many times can you recharge an official BLM-1?

I also looked at replacement BLM-1s, does anybody know the official Oly line on these? I.e. do they invalidate the camera warranty?

Could you mix original and replacement BLM-1s in the HLD-4?

So many questions on such a small item

Re: BLM-1 replacement query

Originally posted by Invicta View Post
    Hi,

I have a 3-year old original Oly BLM-1 battery. This made me wonder how many times can you recharge an official BLM-1?

I also looked at replacement BLM-1s, does anybody know the official Oly line on these? I.e. do they invalidate the camera warranty?

Could you mix original and replacement BLM-1s in the HLD-4?

So many questions on such a small item
    I thought I had read that both are good for 1000+ charges. The great thing is that they do not retain a memory hence re-charging before full discharge is not a problem.

I use 2 Oly originals and 4 equivalents. I have had no problems with any of the batteries and have used a mix in the HLD-4 also without problems.

The only issue I have is that their is not enough savings to buy a new lens.

PeterD

Comment

If I am not wrong, the E-500 manual says about 500 charges. Mine gave up after about 19 months, so a 3 years old is I suppose a very good one, but for how long time it will live can not be said. I would say, get a replacement, just in case... but there is no reason to throw away a working battery, could use them alternatingly, but mark the old one.

I guess Oly does not care if we use no-name batteries, but if it explodes in the camera or the grip of course, my guess is forget about warranty claims for the demage. Some say the E-3 does not work with some 3rd party battery, but mine works fine with the one I have. Today I also have three Olympus original, but I feel there is no difference.

Comment

I've not seen or read anything about clone batteries invalidating warranties.

Of course everything says use only original batteries and charders, but then
        How would Olympus know what you had been using?

Like others I run a mix of originals and clones and have seen no problems and at the cost difference I have purchased mainly clones

Regards
        Andy
        My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
        4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
        m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
        FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
        The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
        http://www.shenstone.me.uk
        http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
        https://vimeo.com/shenstone
        http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

I get the UK Oly mag. and they put list in each copy of items for sale from Oly at a slightly reduced price and they also offer for sale 3rd party batteries so I guess they must be ok to use.
          John

Comment

Someone on dpreview did extensive and in depth tests on the BLM-1 and clones. By far the best buy, which was also equal in performance to the Oly BLM-1, was the Uniross VB 104295. Amazon usually have the Uniross ones at the best price.

Jim

Comment

Hi all

I use three blm-1 clones i purchased of fleabay. They were £12 posted from hong kong a pair and ive had no trouble. I dare say they have a shorter charge in them but a spare doesnt take up all that much space does it. ive used clones in my e400 to without issue along with a clone in my old hld-2.

Comment

Battery life is not the only consideration.

A feature that's not often considered is that of short circuit protection. The contributer on dpreview that did a study on BLM-1 clones took this into account. There was one cheap clone readily available on Ebay that had no short circuit protection, and the internal construction was also poor. The Uniross clone scored well on both counts.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                  Battery life is not the only consideration.

A feature that's not often considered is that of short circuit protection. The contributer on dpreview that did a study on BLM-1 clones took this into account. There was one cheap clone readily available on Ebay that had no short circuit protection, and the internal construction was also poor. The Uniross clone scored well on both counts.

Jim
                  Jim

A very good pointer for people. Thanks

PeterD

Comment

Ah i stand corrected, i think ill upgrade all my clones now in light of this. Phew

Comment

Here's the relevant posting on dpreview:

http://tinyurl.com/2e2xjz

We're lucky over here compared to the U.S. (for once!), the best value battery (the Uniross) is not available there.

Here's the site with the complete tests:

http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm

Jim

Comment

But...

That site lists my 3rd party battery as a 1300mAh, not as it is a 1500mAh type. I guess battery makers also takes steps forward. That's why just because that site warns for one battery type it is not 100% that he is right. Yes, short circuit protection is important, unfortunately not easy to test without destroying a battery.

There is also a lot of BS going on about the E-3 not functioning with 3rd party batteries, which is also a lie. Of course, there may be batteries not working with the E-3, but I strongly suspect those would not work with any other camera either. I don't think the E-3 is different as for the initial power circuit.

Comment

Great set of replies.

I have two concerns about a third pary battery:

1) The power ouput would lie within the spec of the camera so as not to cause damage.

2) Quality of the cells so that they would be safe to leave charging. Having seen that item on UK TV of the fire damage caused by charging a faulty cell phone battery (was part of recall by a well known mobile phone maker) it makes you think.

After reading the above I am tempted to go for two UNiROSS as spares.

Looks to me like if Oly would cut the price of their branded BLM-1 battey and they would get a massive increase in sales. What about a UK forum discount price?

Comment

http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/a...keywords=BLM-1

Comment

That looks like a third party battery made by DMS rather than a genuine Oly battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X