Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 19th February 2008
jojo

Hexan shape image on mirror (E-3) ?

Has anyone noticed a hexan shape image on the mirror? To be specific if you take off the lens and look at the mirror with a off center lamp on my camera the mirror has the imprint of a shape (I think it was hexan) in the center with the area outside this hexan slightly duller.
--
I'm trying to determine if this is normal or something to be concern. Note this is with the lens off the camera. B&H said it was the aperture but could not explain further (not sure what aperture they meant since the lens is not on the camera and the shutter curtain is below the mirror.

I'm not overtly concern this minute since it does not seem to hurt operation and is not visible from the view finder but I would hate for it to be abnormal and then on a later repair have an issue with olympus.
Old 19th February 2008

Liked 522 Times in 365 Posts
Re: Hexan shape image on mirror (E-3) ?

I noticed that when I had an E3, I think that the front mirror is partially transparent so that some of the image can be reflected to the focus sensors or something in the base.
Old 19th February 2008

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

Not sure what shape a hexan is but on my E510 there is a rectangular shape on the mirror as you describe. I believe that the mirrors are partially silvered as Derek says and this is normal.
Old 19th February 2008
jojo

I talked to olympus -usa and they confirmed it was normal - the customer care person was not 100% sure what it did - but in any event it is good to know - when I first saw it I was a bit upset I had noticed it during the 'return' period in case it was abnormal. It turns out that B&H would have been willing to exchange it had it been abnormal (I'm mentioning this since this is good customer care by b&h and I think they deserved credit for this sort of behavior).
--
Also been happy with olympus-usa phone support (while I'm the first one to complain when bad support is given I also feel obligated to note when there has been good support).

(I've heard really bad things about a couple of companies (not canon) in USA esp when it comes to grey market items - yes I agree you do not get free repair on grey market items (though canon does do this) but to outright refuse to repair an item even at a cost is a different story - and no I have not had this issue so it is just unrelated gossip hence I did not name the companies).
[as you can see i am easily side tracked.]
Old 19th February 2008

In this image on the E3 web site

the mirror has some thing behind it which I think is another mirror which hangs down when the main mirror is in the viewing position

you can see more about this at

http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/products/e3/feature/
Old 19th February 2008
jojo

To me it looks like the red image is the mirror in the down position and the white mirror is the mirror in the up position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
In this image on the E3 web site

the mirror has some thing behind it which I think is another mirror which hangs down when the main mirror is in the viewing position

you can see more about this at

http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/products/e3/feature/
Old 19th February 2008

In the down position the red item has a further item compared to the mirror in the up position, the additional item reflects the image seen thru the main mirror to sensors in the base of the camera - looking at the lower section there might even be a further mirror
Old 19th February 2008
OlyFlyer

At the base of the camera the AF sensors are placed. The second, smaller mirror behind the main one is reflecting the image down to the AF sensors, just like in every other E-system cameras, except the E-3xx.