Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 19th November 2007
emirpprime

Only 10mp, AP, Dan Chung & realism

This weeks Amateur Photographer has Dan Chung's commentary on the D3 and why he is switching to Nikon. I found it interesting where he talks about it being only 12mp compared to Canon's 21. His view that as a PJ, the file sizes on the Canon are just too big and unweildy, and for his type of work offer no benefits.
This is how I feel about the E3. I have had shots from my E1's 5mp sensor (no stitching etc) cropped square and blown up to 4x4 foot with no problems, so i'm sure 10mp will be fine It is also the mixture of size, weather sealing and features that I think makes it a great PJ style camera. I have no worries about it surviving beer being pored over it (and me) covering gigs, rain at Remembrance Sunday or mud at downhill races. Neither is it going to break my back to carry it all day.
Back when the E1 was released there was a hoohah about it having only 5mp vs 6 in the competition, and while I'm sure we will see some of that, hopefully there will be less and we will get more actual photographers talking about it as I think it is them who will appreciate the Oly mentality.

I realise I am preaching to the choir, but I think even we need reminding sometimes that it doesn't matter what features you do or don't have, it's whether it enables you to get the shot that matters.

Phil
Old 19th November 2007
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Only 10mp, AP, Dan Chung & realism

.. and on top of that, the skills of the photographer too.

We all have our preferences, mine is Olympus gear, for others it's Canikon gear... that's fine.

I judge a photo not by the camera that was used to take it, but by what i see in the image.

Old 20th November 2007

Liked 526 Times in 368 Posts
Re: Only 10mp, AP, Dan Chung & realism

If the different ratios of 4 by 3 compared to 2 by 3 is taken into account and the need to crop more from a 2 by 3 image to get it onto a standard sheet of paper eg A4 or 10 by 8 then the difference between a 5 or 6mp and a 10 and 12 mp image is less significant.