Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-620/600

Olympus E-620/600 An Olympus 12.1MP mid-range compact DSLR, the E-620 and the feature-reduiced version, the E-600.

Old 1st January 2010
TheStrummer

E620 w/25mm Pancake

Does anyone use this combination? If so, what's the verdict? I'm thinking of investing in a pancake for some of my gig shooting...!

Clair
Old 2nd January 2010

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts
Re: E620 w/25mm Pancake

Yep ... I use this at times...
useful for backstage stuff IMHO
Old 2nd January 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not tried gig photography with the pancake (however I have used this combo to smuggle my DSLR into Wembley Arena for 'Walking with Dinosaur'.) Useful for the low light but fixed focal length might be an issue when you're an audience.

Anyway, I do use this combo and it's BRILLIANT.
The small IS body of the E620 plus the small compact pancake, gives this camera unbelievable portability. It's also very discrete for street photography.
It's also fairly good as a macro lens, 25cm minimal focus distance if I recall correctly.

Here's a little shoot I did last month when out walkies
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7542

Have a look at my Flickr, a couple of my Stormtrooper shots were done with the 25mm. It's a cracking lens BUT like all lens, they have their limitations: one that stands out most is the +2 distortion when you shoot something with straight lines and the CA. It's quite bad if you shoot directly into subject with VERY strong backlight, like the sun. These are easily corrected though
Old 2nd January 2010
TheStrummer

Thanks crimbo, that's good to know - I've got an all access pass for a gig in Feb!

Cheers Colin as well, that's been very helpful - I think I know what I'm going to be spending my tax rebate on!