Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself Don't be bashful - please say hello so we can all welcome you here!

Old 17th January 2008

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts
New member, belated hello!

Hi thought I'd just say hello. Had joined earlier this month but have only just got around to introducing myself
I'm a very pleased owner of an E-510 with the twin lens kit (since Sept 07). I recently added the ED 12-60 SWD and a FL-36 and hope to be adding other glass in the not too distant future.
My previous digital cameras were a Fuji S9500 'bridge' and before that a Fuji S20Pro, both capable of producing some very nice images IMHO and both are still in the 'family'
Many years ago I had a Canon AE-1 SLR so I guess that camera originally got me interested in photography.

Last edited by Greytop; 17th January 2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 17th January 2008
PeterD

Re: New member, belated hello!

Hi Greytop,

Better late than never

Seeing as you have been on here for a while, what do you think?

Kind regards

PeterD
Old 17th January 2008

Hi Peter,

Yes I like the forum, it seems very friendly
and there is a great deal of useful information and helpful comments.
I'm glad to be onboard

Cheers

Huw
AKA Greytop
Old 17th January 2008
sanke

Welcome hope you enjoy the forum.
I'm a newbie and find it really useful.
Old 17th January 2008

Liked 709 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Hi thought I'd just say hello. Had joined earlier this month but have only just got around to introducing myself
I'm a very pleased owner of an E-510 with the twin lens kit (since Sept 07). I recently added the ED 12-60 SWD and a FL-36 and hope to be adding other glass in the not too distant future.
My previous digital cameras were a Fuji S9500 'bridge' and before that a Fuji S20Pro, both capable of producing some very nice images IMHO and both are still in the 'family'
Many years ago I had a Canon AE-1 SLR so I guess that camera originally got me interested in photography.
Hi and welcome.

I was a Fuji fanatic (most of the range) and although I still use my E900 daily I miss in a strange sort of way my S9500, both cameras especially the latter taught me how to use most modes rather than auto. The S9500 took me quite a while to get used to. I have SelNZ http://sel.enternet.co.nz/photos.html to thank - he helped many get to grips with it - such a great learning curve to climb up to DSLR.

I said I liked my Fuji S9500 - in fact I'm still in love with it. If I entered the room it is resting in I think she would scream at me as I have fallen in love with another.
What a cracker she is and she has plenty of glasses now. Of course I talk of no other than my E-510. I am achieving some excellent pix and now that I am using Epson Premium Semi Gloss and Ultra Gloss the results are quite outstanding.

I hear you say doesn't he go on - so more another time. See you around the threads.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 17th January 2008
E-P1 fan

Hi GT, welcome to the forum. I too am quite a newbie.
This is such a quality forum - do enjoy
Old 17th January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
Hi and welcome.

I was a Fuji fanatic (most of the range) and although I still use my E900 daily I miss in a strange sort of way my S9500, both cameras especially the latter taught me how to use most modes rather than auto. The S9500 took me quite a while to get used to. I have SelNZ http://sel.enternet.co.nz/photos.html to thank - he helped many get to grips with it - such a great learning curve to climb up to DSLR.

I said I liked my Fuji S9500 - in fact I'm still in love with it. If I entered the room it is resting in I think she would scream at me as I have fallen in love with another.
What a cracker she is and she has plenty of glasses now. Of course I talk of no other than my E-510. I am achieving some excellent pix and now that I am using Epson Premium Semi Gloss and Ultra Gloss the results are quite outstanding.

I hear you say doesn't he go on - so more another time. See you around the threads.

Regards. Barr1e
Hi Barr1e,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes I couldn't agree more with you regarding the S9500. A very dependable tool with a bit of a learning curve but once you know it's limitations it is capable of some really impressive images. I have to admit to still being a Fuji fan, those great colours, in fact I still use Finepix viewer for displaying slide shows Mind you I think the famous Oly colours are in the same league.
My S20Pro was also an interesting camera with impressive dynamic range and again lovely colours. I miss them both
My father in law now has my S20Pro and my brother in law my S9500, so I still get an occasional glimpse

Thanks E-1 fan and sanke too for the welcome

Cheers

Huw
AKA Greytop
Old 17th January 2008
Scapula Memory

Hi Huw,

Welcome aboard It is a great forum and I`m sure you will enjoy it. Nice to see someone from my corner of the world!

regards

John.
Old 18th January 2008
BigD

welcome huw, hope you enjoy your stay and we look foward to seeing some photos soon

dave.
Old 18th January 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 18th January 2008
ndl0071

Welcome GT to the forum, I see in your intro that you have paired your E510 with the 12-60 SWD, this lens is an addition that I am currently considering for my E510. I have the standard twin lens kit, just how much better is this combo over the standard? is it really worth splashing the cash?
I would be interested in your thoughts and perhaps look forward to seeing some pics in the gallery.

Cheers
Neil
Old 18th January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndl0071 View Post
Welcome GT to the forum, I see in your intro that you have paired your E510 with the 12-60 SWD, this lens is an addition that I am currently considering for my E510. I have the standard twin lens kit, just how much better is this combo over the standard? is it really worth splashing the cash?
I would be interested in your thoughts and perhaps look forward to seeing some pics in the gallery.

Cheers
Neil
Thanks for the welcome, John, Dave and Ellie

Hi Neil,
I think the 12 -60 is a great lens, its sharper, brighter, faster focusing, wider and longer than the kit BUT heavier and larger (although not to the point of being difficult to handle IMO). I especially like the additional width and sharpness.
Overall I am very pleased with the upgrade but will keep the kit lens as a light weight backup.
I've just posted a few recent pics in the gallery taken with the 12-60

Cheers

Huw
AKA Greytop
Old 18th January 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,220 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
I see you have already received a warm welcome - just as I expected

So welcome from me too!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 18th January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I see you have already received a warm welcome - just as I expected

So welcome from me too!

Ian
Thanks for the welcome Ian

Cheers

Huw
Old 19th January 2008
ndl0071

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome, John, Dave and Ellie

Hi Neil,
I think the 12 -60 is a great lens, its sharper, brighter, faster focusing, wider and longer than the kit BUT heavier and larger (although not to the point of being difficult to handle IMO). I especially like the additional width and sharpness.
Overall I am very pleased with the upgrade but will keep the kit lens as a light weight backup.
I've just posted a few recent pics in the gallery taken with the 12-60

Cheers

Huw
AKA Greytop
Thanks for the info Huw, sound like the 12-60 may be a good investment, I have been looking for your gallery pics without success? Have you posted them yet?

Thanks again
Neil