Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself Don't be bashful - please say hello so we can all welcome you here!

Old 2nd January 2008
Porkpie

Aye up me duck!

As anyone who lives in my area (East Midlands) would know,this is a term of endearment & Not an insult or mickey take of/to anyone.It roughly translates as" Hello my Friend".So "Hello everyone".
Old 2nd January 2008
PeterD

Re: Aye up me duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkpie View Post
As anyone who lives in my area (East Midlands) would know,this is a term of endearment & Not an insult or mickey take of/to anyone.It roughly translates as" Hello Friend".So "Hello everyone".
Welcome Porkpie. I shall take your word for the meaning of your greeting

This is a friendly community and I am sure you will enjoy your time here.

The forum is an interesting place to visit and get tips from experienced & knowledgable people. We are currently discussing setting up a competition for members photo submissions.

Kind regards

PeterD
Old 2nd January 2008

Liked 678 Times in 245 Posts

Hi.....

....and welcome.

I think I am the more serious one on this forum.

Regards. Barr1e

ps I wonder if you were the 300th member to join?

Last edited by Barr1e; 2nd January 2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: 300th member?
Old 2nd January 2008
Porkpie

PeterD - I see you're from portsmouth,one of my favourite parts of Hampshire.Mary Rose,HMS victory,HMS Warrier,of course the Spinnaker Tower,Monument to I K Brunels birthplace as well as Gunwharf Quays.Thanks very much for the welcome.
Barr1e - am i the 300th member?
Old 2nd January 2008

Liked 678 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
PeterD - I see you're from portsmouth,one of my favourite parts of Hampshire.Mary Rose,HMS victory,HMS Warrier,of course the Spinnaker Tower,Monument to I K Brunels birthplace as well as Gunwharf Quays.Thanks very much for the welcome.

Mmm. not sure. If you look at the 'Home Page' on the right you will note who is currently on site and membership numbers. I think you were pretty close.
When Ian is back from vacation next week he might have the answer.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 2nd January 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Hi Porkpie,

Here is a shot of Portsmouth harbour from Portsdown Hill. Its dusk which adds to the atmosphere. You can see Spinnaker tower and the habour entrance.
In the centre is Portchester Castle (where the French Prisoners were kept in the Napoleonic wars).

Kind regards

PeterD
Old 5th January 2008
Porkpie

Hi PeterD,thanks for the pic,it really sets a mood in the early evening light.Tell me,was this taken from anywhere near the royal armouries as i'm sure its the same view that i have seen whilst driving past (when i'm doing my day job-Coach Tour Driver-and the passengers are always impressed with the view of the harbour,the tower & the IOW in the distance).Also on the same road as the armouries,there are a few buildings that look like they are Naval early warning systems.Do you know what they are loccally known as?
Thanks Very Much.
Shaun(my real name)
Old 5th January 2008
BigD

hello and welcome
Old 5th January 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Hi PeterD,thanks for the pic,it really sets a mood in the early evening light.Tell me,was this taken from anywhere near the royal armouries as i'm sure its the same view that i have seen whilst driving past (when i'm doing my day job-Coach Tour Driver-and the passengers are always impressed with the view of the harbour,the tower & the IOW in the distance).Also on the same road as the armouries,there are a few buildings that look like they are Naval early warning systems.Do you know what they are loccally known as?
Thanks Very Much.
Shaun(my real name)
Hi Shaun (thats a much better handle to address in messages)
Yes, the shot was taken about 1 mile from the armories in an open space called Portchester Common. This lies just below the road you are familiar with. Its a great place to walk the dog and I go there most days.

A little about the history of the fortifications. During the time of the Napoleonic wars, Lord Palmeston arranged for fortifications to be built to protect Portsmouth Harbour. At that time rifled barrels had been introduced in artillery pieces and resulted in far greater accuracy than ever before. The fear was that Napoleon could invade the English coastline elsewhere and attack Portsmouth from the SouthDown ridge. You can see from the image I posted you how dangerous that would be for the navy anchored in the harbour. To counter this threat Fort Widley, Fort Purbrook, Fort Nelson were built. I shall take some photographs and post them later. Each fort is surrounded on the landward side by a deep, wide dry moat. Gun positions cover all directions within the moat. The landward side of the fort is landscaped to appear as a continuation of the rising ground to the summit of Portsdown Hill. Each fort had mortar batteries, the range of each crossed that of the adjacent fort. Each fort had a large garrison of troops and underground passages connecting all the gun positions and underground armoury. Other fortifications were built in the channel between the Isle of Wight and Portsmouth. By the time the forts were built, the threat had gone. These fortifications are known as Palmestone's folley.

I shall post some images of the forts in the gallery later.

Thanks for asking about them and I hope I have provided enough info for you to have a look for yourself next time you are here. One of the forts is open to the public and guided tours are offerred.

Kind regards

PeterD