Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 30th July 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EVF and Rec View

When I take an image using the rear monitor I get a review for a couple of seconds which is fine however if I take an image using the EVF the monitor immediately returns to live view, a full reset didn't solve the problem. I'm quite happy to admit it's me but any help would be welcome.
Old 30th July 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts
Re: EVF and Rec View

Switch off Liveview (small button on side of EVF).

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 30th July 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you Peter but that turns off the EVF and being a photographer of more years than I care to remember I always use the eyepiece for framing the shot. Never mind, it's a fine camera and even after a few weeks I'm still probably only scratching the surface of its capabilities.
Old 30th July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyG View Post
Thank you Peter but that turns off the EVF and being a photographer of more years than I care to remember I always use the eyepiece for framing the shot. Never mind, it's a fine camera and even after a few weeks I'm still probably only scratching the surface of its capabilities.
If you set the EVF to Auto it will automatically switch the EVF on when you put your eye to the VF and off again when you remove your eye.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Old 30th July 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Peter - I also have an E-M10 MkII and the sequence of events is that I take the photograph using the EVF, I then get 2 seconds of preview on the monitor then the monitor reverts to live view, my Panasonic G80 does the same. I'm sure it's a setting somewhere but the button next to the EVF doesn't seem to be the answer.
Old 30th July 2017

Liked 807 Times in 519 Posts

On my E-M5 mkI there is a "Rec View" setting in the Setup Menu which controls the review time; is it possible there are separate such settings for EVF and monitor on the mkII?
Old 30th July 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Richard - thank you for replying, I have the Rec View set at 2 seconds but as you say it sounds like there might be a setting for the EVF but I cannot find anything.

Can I ask you a favour, with the EVF auto switch set to ON do you get a few seconds preview having taken a photograph via the EVF?, if so then I'll contact Olympus about mine.
Old 31st July 2017

Liked 807 Times in 519 Posts

I get a preview in the EVF, yes. I normally have the EVF set to auto and Rec View to 2 sec, and don't use the rear screen at all when shooting. If I'm likely to be taking several quick shots I'll set Rec View to zero so it works like a real optical viewfinder .
Old 31st July 2017

Thanked 1,270 Times in 998 Posts
Liked 1,887 Times in 1,053 Posts

Jeremy, you do have the latest 1.3 firmware, do you? Because there is a fix in the updates concerning that feature. http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/ww/u.../index03a.html
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 31st July 2017

Hi Jeremy.

Obviously some confusion has slipped in but Ross's sugestion may be your ultimate answer.

One fundamental point however is that if the screen "reverts to Liveview" then the camera is set to Liveview which is toggled on/off by successive presses of the button on the side of the EVF.

I checked both my E-M5 MKI and E-M 10 MKII and they operate differently.

I set up my cameras the same way as John to show the Super Control Panel in non Liveview mode.

My E-M5 MKI operates exactly as John says.

My E-M 10 MKII on the other hand will display the RecView either in the EVF if you keep it to your eye or on the monitor if you move your eye from the EVF. It may well be that the firmware update Ross quoted makes the E-M1 MKII operate like the E-M10 MKII.

As a general observation I never use Rec View and keep it off all the time. I find using it consumes battery power significantly. Last night while trying to replicate your problem I actually exhausted the battery on the E-M 10 and found that both the battery and monitor got quite hot. I have to ask what benefit you feel you get from viewing every shot for two seconds after you take it. Personally I find reviewing each shot immediately of limited value . I have found that a quick look at a shot on a small screen can sometimes suggest a shot is unsatisfactory whilst viewing the same shot later on the PC shows it to be better and maybe only needs a small tweak to make it a good shot. If for some reason I feel the need to review a particular shot I just press the > button to display the shot.Your view may be different which is fine but I would be interested to know how you think it helps.

Regards.

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Old 31st July 2017

Just to show why I asked if the camera has the latest firmware, here are the details.
Quote:
Firmware Update for OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
[ E-M1 Mark II ]
Ver.1.3
(Jun. 29 2017)
Corrected issue of AF Targeting Pad not functioning.
Ver.1.2
(May. 08 2017)
Improved color reproduction of EVF.
Corrected the issue of other brand flashes not flashing for High Res Shot, Focus Bracketing, and Focus Stacking.
Corrected issue of Rec View screen not displaying in the rear monitor when using EVF to shoot photos.
Corrected issue of home position of AF target not being retained when the power is turned off.
Improved stability of the battery level indicator.
Improved noise reduction of sequential shooting while the lens's IS is on.
Flash controllers manufactured by Profoto are supported.
Ver.1.1
(Mar. 02 2017)
Stability of RAW file formation has been improved.
/
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 1st August 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you to all for commenting on my perceived problem and for offering solutions.

Having digested your observations it appears the camera is working as intended and I'm probably being misled by my former E-M10 Mk I and Mk II which provided a preview on the monitor after having taken a picture via the EVF. I've tried Peter's suggestion of using the EVF's preview and that suits me fine so after all it was me and not the camera!

I've also noted the firmware is 1.1 so I'll need to do something about that.

Again many thanks for your help.

Jeremy
The Following User Says Thank You to JeremyG For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (1st August 2017)
Old 1st August 2017

With both E-M1 models (& latest firmware) the Rec Review will show in the EVF if that was used & then continue to display in the monitor if eye was moved away (if in Auto EVF mode) for as long as the set time stored. The earlier models like the E-M5 would just cut out showing in those circumstance & revert to Live View in the monitor again. I had this feeling there was another option with the E-M1 Mk II, but I must have dreamt that because I can't find anything else. Of course, the Mk II will only display in the EVF in the monitor screen is facing in.

Old 1st August 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Ross, I've been using the camera today and getting used to previewing in the EVF so all is well, just a bit different to what I've been used to. I've also been exploring the focus stacking mode which is quite a feature.
The Following User Says Thank You to JeremyG For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (1st August 2017)