Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 24th February 2017

Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Moving away from Olympus...

..But staying in the 4/3 / m4/3 family!

My E3 + 12-60 has served me well for several years now. I still really like the camera - while it may be rather stone age in some aspects like it's high ISO noise control, it can still produce great images and has proven to be very reliable as I'm not the as careful as I should be sometimes.

One thing I wanted to get into was video, so ideally I wanted something that produced excellent 1080p60, 4K would be a nice bonus but not a necessity. Still image quality still needed to be worth the upgrade over my E3 of course!

After a lot of deliveration, I eventually settled on a Panasonic G80 with the 12-60mm as it ticked all the boxes (retaining weather proofing was nice too) while staying just about within budget. It arrived this week so hopefully I'll have time to play with it this weekend. Only thing I've done so far is test the dual IS - I was able to get sharp handheld photos of my car dimly lit under a single sodium street lamp at 1/3sec shutter speed, F4.1, ISO3200. Quite impressive!
Old 24th February 2017
Polite Engineer

Re: Moving away from Olympus...

Ditto
Just traded in my old E620 and a number of lens to get the G80. I wanted something smaller than the E620, a bit more modern and the weather sealing. The video ability is a nice addition. Played around with the post focus option, which is interesting, although don't know when/if I will get to use it in earnest.
Old 25th February 2017

Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Moving away from Olympus...

I'm keeping my E3 for now, I may sell it at some point, we'll see.

It's going to take me a while to get used to the G80! I feel like my Grandmother must feel when using a tablet