Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 21st January 2017

Liked 524 Times in 366 Posts
Image orientation problem

In the playback menu Page 168 of the manual I have set the rotation setting to ON, this should cause images to be presented in the viewer in the orientation that they were taken. ie Portraits appear upright and Landscape appear horizontal.

I have it set to ON

Vertical images are displayed horizontally and landscape images are randomlly presented ie some in vertical and some in horizontal mode.

This occurs whether I am seeing the images via the screen on the back of the camera or by Olympus Viewer 3, or by Lightroom.

or is my camera requiring a trip to Coimbra to receive a bit of positive discipline.

My fear is that if it is faulty then the repair facility will not have the spare parts and that there will be a delay until after the Chinese New Year when spares will be shipped again.
Old 21st January 2017

Thanked 1,270 Times in 998 Posts
Liked 1,879 Times in 1,051 Posts
Re: Image orientation problem

When viewing in playback, if you rotate the camera do the displayed images also rotate (that is, stay the same in the new orientation)?
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 21st January 2017

Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts

The way it works is that when you take a photo the orientation is stored as a flag with the image. The value of the flag depends on the orientation of the camera, it knows which way up it is.

Is it possible that the photos with issues were taken with the camera pointing downwards at the ground? Or almost straight up? If so, the camera cannot know which orientation you intend.

Try a horizontal and vertical photo aimed straight ahead. I bet that works. If it doesn't, then the orientation sensor in the camera is not working.

(The orientation of the photos in Viewer 3 or Lightroom has no connection with the setting in the Playback menu.)
Old 21st January 2017

Ross - Yes the image stays in the same orientation when the camera body is rotated

GT:
The pictures were taken with lens axis close to the horizontal, some portrait some landscape.
Following is a screen grab of the thumbnails in Olympus Viewer 3
http://www.w9259.co.uk/miscpics/Mk2.jpg
apologies for the size
it shows the random natures of the orientation and the ordinaryness of the camer position - only possible excuse for the camera was that it was quite cold.

I will have a few more plays with the camera and then call Oly support on Monday.
Old 21st January 2017

Make sure it isn't the SD card causing the issue, because odd things can happen with them.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 21st January 2017

please explain how the xd card can cause random orientation problems, the orientation flag

Playing around with the camera with the camera in portrait orientation with the shutter button at the high point seems to give less reliable value than reversing the camera with the shutter button low down. Shaking the camera does sometimes correct the orientation.

Time to call the shop
Old 21st January 2017

Definitely a faulty camera. The orientation sensor is not working reliably. Unlucky.
I just checked with mine and it gets it right every time, including with the fourth orientation, which is upside down.
Old 21st January 2017
Administrator

Thanked 3,107 Times in 2,420 Posts
Liked 4,373 Times in 2,071 Posts

The camera is so new that rather than send for repair I'd be inclined to push the retailer for a replacement.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 21st January 2017

John - I have spoken to the shop and they will speak to their Olympus rep to check on availability of more stock, they do have a demo camera available.

I just fear a repeat of the issue I had with the E3 in 2008 when it took over a month to get repaired and was eventually swapped for a new camera..
Old 21st January 2017

Not all was lost
here was the pic I got
http://www.w9259.co.uk/St%20Pauls/

from yesterday's jaunt

go full screen and use the zoom and pan features
Old 21st January 2017

Very nice. Is that a high res?
Old 21st January 2017

Thank you

It was a panoramic merge of about 15 regular Raw images about 180 degrees of arc with the 112-40mm lens on the MKii. The final image for the web created with Pano2VR.

So not high res but hi pixel count the source Jpeg was 10.6 MB so probably a bit over the top.
Old 22nd January 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
please explain how the xd card can cause random orientation problems, the orientation flag

Playing around with the camera with the camera in portrait orientation with the shutter button at the high point seems to give less reliable value than reversing the camera with the shutter button low down. Shaking the camera does sometimes correct the orientation.

Time to call the shop
The 'SD' card can cause various problems with the camera as it first of all stores the orientation detail with the image file, but in this case it may well not be the reason though. However, the camera reads it on start up etc & if faulty (or incompatible) it may appear to work but give strange errors or camera behaviour & that is why I said to make sure it isn't causing any issues. In other words, if it isn't one of the recommended SD cards then try another to be sure.
Old 1st February 2017

Looks as if the fault has been cleared by Jez our local Olympus rep, he reset the camera to basic factory settings and then could not reproduce the fault so then I was able to reload my customized settings that I had previously stored away on the Mac Pro (other computers can store the data as well)

And it all looks well - just need some acceptable weather to get to know the camera better.