Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4th November 2016

Liked 2,252 Times in 1,486 Posts
Sir James Dyson to Set up College for Engineers

So, Sir James Dyson is to set up his own college to teach engineers, and to help bridge the skills shortage in the UK.

BBC Report

I for one am delighted to hear this. For far too long 'engineering' has been a dirty word in this country, probably because most people associate engineers with oily rags, fitters and mechanics, which is not the same thing.

I am interested to see that students will actually be paid a salary whilst studying, and will pay no tuition fees; although I suspect there will need to be a retention period after graduating.

Let us hope that others will follow, so that we no longer have to rely on the skills of foreign workers to support our home grown industries.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4th November 2016

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts
Re: Sir James Dyson to Set up College for Engineers

Sounds more like a very good apprenticeship scheme.
Old 4th November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Sounds more like a very good apprenticeship scheme.
Maybe, but if it does the job.

Anything that raises the ambition of our young people above Sports Technology, Leisure Studies and Media Studies.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4th November 2016
Administrator

Liked 504 Times in 278 Posts

I also hope it does well - we have young apprentices, students and graduates come to out factory who don't know some basics. I know they are young, but one told me at interview Photoshop is a software development tool!

Re the man himself he lost so much credibility with me when he closed down his factory in the UK and shifted production to china - so much for innovating to keep British industry going - chase the money when you can seems a more appropriate motto for him these days
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
The Following User Liked This Post:
Magus (4th November 2016)
Old 4th November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post

Re the man himself he lost so much credibility with me when he closed down his factory in the UK and shifted production to china - so much for innovating to keep British industry going - chase the money when you can seems a more appropriate motto for him these days
I would agree with you on that point. It isn't as if Dyson products are cheap!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4th November 2016

Liked 1,597 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Anything that raises the ambition of our young people above Sports Technology, Leisure Studies and Media Studies.
I wouldn't say their ambition is as high as that - winning the 'X Factor' or Lottery more like!

Jim
Naughty Nigel (4th November 2016)
Old 4th November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I wouldn't say their ambition is as high as that - winning the 'X Factor' or Lottery more like!

Jim
Sadly I think you are probably right Jim.

But how did we ever get to this state?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4th November 2016

Thanked 1,113 Times in 698 Posts
Liked 1,446 Times in 725 Posts

Quote:
Sadly... But how did we ever get to this state?
Look no further than Westminster with their lack of skills. Almost to an individual they appear to be nothing more than dumb waiters that can be summed up quite nicely in the military pee taking acronym N A A F I. > No Ambition And F*** all Interest <

Even now, with the situation we are in as a nation, the continuation of sniping and other playground antics make it appear that NAAFI still takes priority.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 4th November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Look no further than Westminster with their lack of skills. Almost to an individual they appear to be nothing more than dumb waiters that can be summed up quite nicely in the military pee taking acronym N A A F I.

Even now, with the situation we are in as a nation, with the continuation of sniping and other playground antics it seems NAAFI still takes priority.
But we cannot lay all of the blame at the feet of Westminster. Parents in particular need to inspire their children to do more than menial jobs if they are able to. Likewise, schools need to lose their obsession with protecting the lowest common denominator from the realities of life whilst ignoring students with real abilities.

The current obsession with so called 'celebrities' only makes matters worse in my view.

Perhaps the truth is that a large percentage of the population actually want and need menial jobs, but those jobs and the factories that created them have now disappeared?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
OM USer (4th November 2016)
Old 4th November 2016

I asked a sixth former who said he wanted to be an engineer where he thought he would get work. He replied in an 'of course way' "in America". The idea of working in the UK was as absurd to him as working as a rice farmer here!

Jim
Old 4th November 2016

Quote:
Perhaps the truth is that a large percentage of the population actually want and need menial jobs, but those jobs and the factories that created them have now disappeared?
When the large aerospace factory I worked in for 35 years closed in the early 90's, one of the highly experienced and skilled toolmakers I knew went to work as a caretaker in a junior school. He told me he was never happier!

Jim
Old 4th November 2016

Liked 320 Times in 155 Posts

I do think and hope that the oily rag image of an engineer is figment of a past generation. The comment that always hit home to me was made by a German director when he was asked about the status of British engineers. His reply was that in Germany the MD invited his engineer home to meet his daughter in the UK the MD invites the engineer home to mend his washing machine.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
The Following Users Liked This Post:
iso (4th November 2016), Jim Ford (4th November 2016), Naughty Nigel (4th November 2016)
Old 4th November 2016

Quote:
When the large aerospace factory I worked in for 35 years closed in the early 90's, one of the highly experienced and skilled toolmakers I knew went to work as a caretaker in a junior school. He told me he was never happier!

Jim
I can understand that. I also know of a former BA pilot who took early retirement to become a plumber, and was never happier. Personally I would be very happy to do the same, although it is probably a little too late; and I certainly wouldn't get any pleasure from installing push-fit or plastic piping, That is for amateurs and cowboys!

Quote:
I asked a sixth former who said he wanted to be an engineer where he thought he would get work. He replied in an 'of course way' "in America". The idea of working in the UK was as absurd to him as working as a rice farmer here!

Jim
Where do people get these daft ideas from about America? American Television shows and the internet I presume?

From what I have seen America is one of the most backward countries on the planet. The American people have only prospered and survived because they have so much space, and so many resources. But that doesn't stop them from shooting one another for no reason. Maybe someone should tell them that cowboy films were made for entertainment, not to be used as a role model.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4th November 2016

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

Engineering can also mean R&D. I which case Dyson has got it right. Design it here and make it where it is best to be made. Seems to me many of the comments here about 'oily rags' have themselves not got out of the '60's mentality.
Old 6th November 2016

Liked 70 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
I have to agree there since I recently found out that he owns most of Lincolnshire. Not sure why he is suddenly so interested in farming. Maybe it is something to do with the subsidies or that farmland is exempt from inheritance tax. Or maybe a little bit of both.

To be fair he has done a lot to push engineering and engineers up the agenda which is needed as we tend to be a modest bunch who are happy to quietly go about our jobs. Until, that is, the office manager says they have called the engineer to fix the photocopier Although I am a little surprised that my colleagues fall in to the trap of complaining about something simple that is broken and not trying to fix it (a leaking cistern for example). But then I am a mechanical engineer and they are civil engineers so perhaps they will look at a pile of parts as I would look at a bucket of mud and stones .

I am in two minds whether or not to encourage my son into the same profession. It isn't the most respected or well renumerated of jobs but at least we'll be one of the last professions to be taken over by robots as we'll be designing the damn things.

Will