Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 15th September 2015

Thanked 1,116 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,452 Times in 726 Posts
So you think...

In the last few years I've had bad days and not so good days. Like most I complain but, oh yes, in life there's always a but. This made me sit back and thank my lucky stars and take a whole new look at my problems. If you think you've got problems then think yourself lucky you're not in this man's shoes.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 16th September 2015

Liked 3,876 Times in 1,428 Posts
Re: So you think...

Slightly unfortunate turn of phrase seeing as he has no legs, but I know what you mean.
The Following User Liked This Post:
mstphoto (17th September 2015)
Old 16th September 2015

My point exactly. What would you do if in the same situation... ?

Old 16th September 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

If, collectively, we see ourselves as a caring, compassionate and fair society, then surely common decency dictates that this man and others like him should be supplied with the best prosthetics available. Some things are so much more important than money and when I hear about situations like this I get really, really cross.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (16th September 2015), PeterBirder (16th September 2015), Wally (17th September 2015)
Old 16th September 2015

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." - Mahatma Ghandi

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Wally (17th September 2015)
Old 17th September 2015

The part of the story that really got me going was that the 'special prosthetics are available' but only to specific veterans. I would have thought that in exceptional circumstances, civliians, with serious injuries on a par with veterans, should be similarly treated. Apparently, the NHS system in Scotland will supply the prosthetics if special conditions are met. Yet another anomally in a so called United Kingdom in which we all pay into the system.

If we can show compassion to a young lady who was seiously injured by the Taliban, I can see no reason not to show compassion to one of our own.

As the post above implies, as a member of a so called great nation, I feel I'm being betrayed more and more by the very people we put into office to protect our weakest members of society.

The saying, 'There but for the grace of God,' springs to mind. Not a pleasant thought.

Old 17th September 2015

Liked 3,876 Times in 1,428 Posts

I suppose as nasty as it sounds the line has to be drawn at the level of affordability for everything. At that point a judgement has to be made in every case. I would not like to be the one who has to choose between cases of need. Can we as a country afford to give everybody everything they need, it would mean each of us has to give up something in addition to what we do now. It is easy to want the sharing answer when you have nothing, harder to accept when you will be giving it up. Maybe Jeremy will find the middle way;
Old 17th September 2015

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
It is easy to want the sharing answer when you have nothing, harder to accept when you will be giving it up. Maybe Jeremy will find the middle way;
There's no chance that Big Business and the electorate manipulated by Rupert Murdoch will let him!

Jim
Old 17th September 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
I suppose as nasty as it sounds the line has to be drawn at the level of affordability for everything. At that point a judgement has to be made in every case. I would not like to be the one who has to choose between cases of need. Can we as a country afford to give everybody everything they need, it would mean each of us has to give up something in addition to what we do now. It is easy to want the sharing answer when you have nothing, harder to accept when you will be giving it up. Maybe Jeremy will find the middle way;
Affordability is a good point and it is ironic that the House of Commons (in a free vote) have only this week decided not to allow assisted suicide, or euthanasia, for severely ill or disabled people who have no quality of life and no hope of recovery. This will mean that people in this category who wish to end their lives will be continue to be forced to exist, often at great expense to the NHS and social services.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Beagletorque (17th September 2015)