Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 2nd December 2008

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Studio Shoot

Last Saturday a small group of us went to Kaz studio in Essex. During the day we recieved lots of tuition on how to use lighting in the studio from Clive.
We had the chance to take pics with two models and do some still life pics. Clive set up all the lighting and instructed the models,any input from us was limited to anything we may have asked the model to do, although they needed very little instruction from any of us, and post shoot editing.

Graham has already uploaded a pic of the champagne cork pop, so I have added some model pics.

This one was set up by Clive, I simply pressed the shutter.

This one was meant to be part of a fashion shoot but I persuaded the model to pull this face and then cropped it - so a little more of my input here.

Finally part of a nude!. I like the idea of close ups of parts of the human body. I asked the model to sit down for this one and then cropped close to emphasize body landscape.

Thanks Clive we had a good day and learnt a lot.

Hopefully some of the other participants will contribute some pics.

Shirley

Last edited by shirley; 2nd December 2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 2nd December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Studio Shoot

Many (belated) thanks to Shirley for organising an excellent day.

Work is fairly awful at the moment and I have a leaking kitchen roof to contend with (cooker blew up on Sunday night as a result!), so my pix are still on the memory card! However, it was a very useful day. I think what was particularly useful was the very simple, single light effects Clive showed us. Nothing complex required - just a large window and maybe something to diffuse the light.

Kaz Studios are defnitely well worth a visit.
Old 2nd December 2008

Yes, I agree some simple tips that can be adapted. I also enjoyed using white balance in a more creative way, rather than simply to get the skin tone right.
Hope your kitchen problems get sorted soon Hugh.
Old 2nd December 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,107 Times in 2,420 Posts
Liked 4,373 Times in 2,071 Posts

Yes, it was a great day! I'm busy at the moment but will upload some pics later.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd December 2008

Just edited a few more.

Right hand side

Neck detail

My version of the Champagne pop that Clive set up.

Fashion model

Last edited by shirley; 2nd December 2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 2nd December 2008
Administrator

Afraid I wasn't particularly creative with my shots, I was quite happy to let the experienced models pose how they thought best (who am I to tell them otherwise?) within Clive's brief and try to learn as much as possible about a variety of lighting situations set up by Clive. I probably remember about 20% of what he taught us at most, but that means I still know a lot more about studio lighting than when I started!

Here are some that I took on the day:-

I don't really feel that these are my pictures; they were, after all, set up by Clive and I almost performed the role of an assistant who happened to release the shutter when the photographer had set up the shot. But it's what we learnt from the day that counts - and we had fun doing it!

If you get the chance I would unreservedly recommend Clive as a tutor. He worked tirelessly throughout the day, even changing lighting set ups while we had a break for lunch. Despite many years in the business his enthusiasm is still fresh and he is more than willing to share his expertise with his students. I thought the day was excellent value for money. Visit Clive's website (Kaz Studio) for more information: http://www.kaz-studio.co.uk/

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd December 2008

Definitely agree with John about the models and Clive, they were excellent and really knew what they were doing, it made taking the pictures easy.
As a novice I was thrilled with the results, I took about 100 pics during the day and nearly every one is a keeper.
Old 2nd December 2008
Administrator

Just to give a little more flavour of the day, here's a few "behind the scenes" shots:-

Hugh pokes his lens through the two closely positioned diffused flash panels that we used for the head and shoulders portrait shots.

Model Sasha casts a critical eye over a shot that's just been taken of her.

For the full length shots the two flash panels used to light our model were moved further apart and a third flash, set at about 1.5 stops brighter than the others, was used to illuminate the white background. This was to ensure that the background did indeed record as white; Clive assured us that without this extra light the background would appear grey. This picture shows Sasha waiting while Kenny (helping Clive on the day) turns on the wind machine.

The day wasn't all Boobs, Bottoms and Beautiful faces! After lunch Clive showed us a number of still-life situations and tricks of the trade. This one was an advertising style theme of Scotch On The Rocks which involved a main overhead tungsten lamp, a long exposure and a selective painting with light technique using a torch! Other sets included a bursting balloon frozen by flash and an ingenious exploding champagne cork leaving the bottle simulation!

I don't suppose I'll get many studio opportunities (although I wouldn't mind another day like this sometime) but much of what we learnt can be adapted to photography at home with a little imagination. The day was a fantastic experience and one that I can thoroughly recommend!

Many thanks to Shirley for organising it!

Old 3rd December 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,557 Times in 892 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Studio Shoot

Like Shirley, I too like to keep nudes as subtle as I can.

"Button" has a total understanding of light and how to work within the setup to maximise the effects. The name "Button" derives from the love of chocolate of the same name

"NicTheButton" as she is known on http://www.modelmayhem.com/259462 also has her own site http://button.moonfruit.com/

Sasha Larner is a top fashion model and we were very fortunate to be able to shoot with her.

Sasha is on Model Mayhem at http://www.modelmayhem.com/40190 and has the fan site http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sasha-Larner/10406426767

When we do this again I throughly recommend it as you will learn a lot from Clive.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 3rd December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, it looks as if it was a fantastic experience.

Thank you for sharing so many brilliant pictures
Old 4th December 2008
alert_bri

This looks like a perfect opportunity to improve your studio skills - I'm really sorry I had to drop out at the last moment...

Thanks for sharing here, I love the neck detail shot.

This is certainly the weather for studio shooting!

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 8th December 2008
Naticle

Looks great, bit depressing seeing beautiful slender woman after two kids lol but it's really interesting to read and see the behind the scenes. I particularly have scurried away in my grey fluff the info about the 3rd flash being set 1.5 stops higher I will try this too!
Old 8th December 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naticle View Post
Looks great, bit depressing seeing beautiful slender woman after two kids lol but it's really interesting to read and see the behind the scenes. I particularly have scurried away in my grey fluff the info about the 3rd flash being set 1.5 stops higher I will try this too!
I won't deny I appreciated the opportunity to photograph two beautiful young ladies, but no woman needs to feel depressed by the physical appearance of another because true beauty is far more than just skin deep.

I would not swap my wife for any of the world's most beautiful women (not that I'm likely to get the chance!) because the sacrifices she made to give birth to our daughter make her truely special and how she looks through my eyes transends any superficial definition of beauty.

Also, physical beauty comes in many guises and the smoldering sexuality of an older lady comfortable with her own body, despite any imperfections, can often be more alluring than the flawless paragons of youth!

Glad the tip about the brighter light on the white background is useful!

Old 9th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with John's sentiments - personally, I thought that both models were actually proof that it's possible to be too thin... Clive (the studio owner and tutor) told us that the "fashion" model was actually the dreaded "Size Zero" as though it was a good thing!

In part, of course, these perceptions are culturally determined and have changed hugely over history - look at Reubens or Boucher, for example.

A painter acquaintance (who keeps saying he wants to paint Mrs HoB) says that if you can learn to draw or paint the human body, with its multiplicity of curves, edges, textures and so on, you can paint anything from landscape to still life. I think the same is true of lighting for photography.
Old 10th December 2008
DannyH

What a great experience. I'm looking for classes on doing nudes localy, but have not found any yet. I would like to get someone that gives the kind of information that you received. All your images look great.