Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 2nd September 2015

Liked 3,107 Times in 1,673 Posts
Number Withheld

Our landline number is Registered with the Telephone Preference Service to not receive Cold Calls. We still get them from e.g. Indian call centres.

Usually, their number is withheld. Is there a device which can recognise that a number has been withheld and block the call?

Harold
Old 2nd September 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,569 Times in 901 Posts
Re: Number Withheld

I get a few "Number Withheld" calls that are from people I know. If they are in my phones "list" their name is displayed and it gets answered.

Most "Cold Calls" have a number that is displayed so people answer it...

As soon as I determine I don't want to talk to them I say good bye. If it's an auto voice I hang up.

As soon as there's a way to block/stop them they change methods. A simple "No Thanks - Good Bye" is really really cheap.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 2nd September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I get a few "Number Withheld" calls that are from people I know. If they are in my phones "list" their name is displayed and it gets answered.

Most "Cold Calls" have a number that is displayed so people answer it...

As soon as I determine I don't want to talk to them I say good bye. If it's an auto voice I hang up.

As soon as there's a way to block/stop them they change methods. A simple "No Thanks - Good Bye" is really really cheap.

It's the disruptive element I object to. I didn't answer the last one as I had a heavy, hot roasting dish I was handling at the time.

Harold
Old 2nd September 2015

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post

If the number is withheld how does your phone know who it's from?

We have a BT call blocking phone and it has reduced the annoyance but is not a complete solution.

Unfortunately many organisations these days (like my GP and the local hospital) whom you would want to accept calls from use "withheld numbers" so simply blocking all such calls can be a problem.

Calls from overseas cold callers we block by setting the phone to block all overseas calls. This is ok if, like me you no longer have overseas relatives or expect overseas calls but otherwise it would be a problem.
For persistent cold callers that do give a number after the first call I can save the number in a "block calls" list which is very effective.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 2nd September 2015

Peter,

That blocking of all overseas calls sounds good. How do you go about it?

Harold
Old 2nd September 2015

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Peter,

That blocking of all overseas calls sounds good. How do you go about it?

Harold
It's a feature/ one of the options of the phone which is a BT6500 Nuisance Call Blocker which is similar to the one in Johnheatingman's post. The phone gives you the options to block calls which are any or all of : International, Witheld Number, No Caller ID or Payphone. To use these facilities you need to have the "Caller Display" facility included in your BT phone contract.

Regards.

ps. The BT8500 seems to have some additional features to mine. http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt85...twin-9M2R.html

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 2nd September 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,569 Times in 901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
If the number is withheld how does your phone know who it's from?
My guess is that if there is a match with the number in the phones list, it displays the name associated with it.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 2nd September 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

Occasionally, if I have the time, I use them as a source of entertainment.

Last week I had one of those calls from "Microsoft" (that's a laugh - as if Microsoft would even care) about the viruses detected on my computer.....

"Thanks for calling," I said, "I do have problems with a virus, what do I need to do?"

"Just log on to your computer," replied Jill, with her dusky Asian accent.

Minutes passed and eventually she asked what was happening.

"It's displaying a load of random words and numbers and seem to be stuck," I said.

"Okay, just restart your computer," she advised me, followed after a while by "What is happening now?"

I explained that I had a blank blue screen, for which she instructed another restart.

When she next enquired about my progress I said, "Ah, now I've got that virus, it's a message purporting to be from the Metropolitan Police informing me that my computer has been used for illegal purposes and that it has been locked until I pay a fine of 100."

"Just cancel out of that," she said.

"I can't," I replied, "my computer is locked and won't respond until I pay 100 with my credit card. I believe it's called ransomware, what should I do?"

"You could just pay the fine," she suggested.

"But I don't want to do that," I said, "it's obviously a scam and I was hoping you'd help me fix it, after all you are a Microsoft expert."

"Leave it with me and I'll call you back in an hour," she said before hanging up. Funny, I'm still waiting for her call........

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Graptolite (2nd September 2015), KeithL (3rd September 2015)
Old 2nd September 2015

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

We use a unit from Truecall, blocks unavailable, withheld and foreign calls if you want, can also block any numbers you program it to. Plus lots more. We are very pleased with it.

Take a look on their website for different options available. www.truecall.co.uk i think.

No connection with company, just a very happy customer.

Dave
Old 2nd September 2015

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts

There are answering devices that ask the caller to enter their number onto the keypad, scam callers are less likely to do than real callers, but I do not know the name of the device.
Old 2nd September 2015

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts

I don't answer 'number withheld' calls. If it is important, they will leave a message.
rosco (2nd September 2015)
Old 2nd September 2015

Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I don't answer 'number withheld' calls. If it is important, they will leave a message.
Thats my way of thinking as well
Old 2nd September 2015

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
There are answering devices that ask the caller to enter their number onto the keypad, scam callers are less likely to do than real callers, but I do not know the name of the device.
Truecall can ask the caller his/her name then rings the phone and tellls you who is calling, you can accept or reject the call.

There is also an option where the caller has to enter a pass code to get put through.

Our Truecall unit acts as our answering machine as well, all international, withheld, unavalable and zapped calls get sent to the answering machine, without ringing the phone.

Dave
Old 2nd September 2015

Liked 850 Times in 545 Posts

My BT8500 phone has Truecall built in. So far it's been 100% reliable and is frankly a godsend as I was getting dozens of nuisance calls. It was fun looking at the blocked calls list and seeing how many pests had been rejected but interestingly, that list is getting shorter. I suspect after several blocked attempts these pests may delete my number from their database as they know they're wasting their time and mondy trying to call me.

The "announced call" feature whereby unknown numbers are asked to say their name and press # is genius (the NHS do indeed use withheld numbers - why?) as genuine callers get through quite easily.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (2nd September 2015)
Old 3rd September 2015
Kiwi Paul

I bought a "Call Saint" from Amazon for 30, works really well and is programmable and works on any phone line.

Paul