Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 20th November 2008
giorgosmit

Some rather extreme B&W

These days I have been playing with Lightroom and some home-made B&W filters. I stumbled upon a particular effect by chance, while I was getting wild with the sliders. It is rather extreme and opinions are quite divided whenever I show the results. Your comments would be more than appreciated

And another B&W, this time with a slightly different preset:
Old 20th November 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Some rather extreme B&W

I like no.1 a lot. Number 2 reminds me of the jam escaping from a Jaffa cake. Number 3 is too dark, and the horizon is tilted. Number 4 is good except I would like the prow (showing off nautical terminology) of the boat to be sharp.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 20th November 2008
JackBenedict

Definately 1 + 3 for me. The rest
I love the sky in no. 3

Regards
Old 20th November 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

No1 - little too much dark ground for me - I might be inclined to crop so the stone slab is closer to the bottom corner on the rhs - this'll lead in with some foreground interest and shift the balance more onto the dramatic sky.

No 2 - well that's a nearly - I dont like the line of the sea on the horizon - I think it needs levelling. And the apparent line at the edge of the sea/sand detracts - pity because it is a neat idea and has a lot of impact.

No 3 - I think I'd crop it so the sea begins in the lhs bottom corner - there is nothing in the first few feet of sand.

No 4 - well again a good idea - but the boat is cropped in an illogical way and there is that oof bow. Potentially a very strong image (but would need to be re-shot) and the treatment is a good idea.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 20th November 2008

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
I like no.1 a lot. Number 2 reminds me of the jam escaping from a Jaffa cake. Number 3 is too dark, and the horizon is tilted. Number 4 is good except I would like the prow (showing off nautical terminology) of the boat to be sharp.

Yes, my views precisely. No1 is tops, and I have the same comments for the rest.

Where they are dark they are quite dark. This maybe your intention, (i.e. moody B+W shot) however it maybe your monitor is giving a different answer to mine.

in fact I just uploaded a black/white point calibration image into this gallery

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/622

for general info

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 21st November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They're interesting to look at, but I think all of them lack a speck or two of bright white, which would hint at the full range from black through to white being used.

Of all these I like the boat the best, but I think it could be cropped quite hard on the right to lose the OOF section of the prow
Old 21st November 2008
giorgosmit

Thank you for your comments. I can see that this extreme B&W thing needs quite a lot of work yet .I changed some pictures and they indeed look better with your suggestions implemented. I hope to present some more pictures when this whole enterprise matures!

Cheers, George