Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 13th November 2008
Naticle

Cool My first attempt at Studio

I bought myself a portable studio kit last week I bought a backdrop (which needs ironing) and two softboxes and lamps which blew as soon as I turned them on (top quality as you can imagine lol) anyway I snapped away using my Daughter who is always willing.

This is my first time ever using this sort of set up and I have to learn fast as in two weeks I am doing 2 days studio work
Following used
E3
12-60mm
1/60th @ F5.6
Flash fired I use a FS-FL50R
Bounced off the ceiling

How did I do?
Colour and B/W as I LOVE B/W
Be gentle

Old 13th November 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,218 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts
Re: My first attempt at Studio

For a first attempt you should congratulate yourself. Your daughter is pin sharp and the tonality of both the mono and colour versions are very good. I might experiment with a larger aperture, if possible (that's a smaller f-number). This would limit the depth of field so unimportant areas could ve slightly blurred and so place more emphasis on important details in the face. It would also blur the background helpfully.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 13th November 2008
Naticle

Thank you.
OK I'll try that Ian I quite like sort of DOF myself so I'll try again on the weekend I had it on Ap priority as well.
Old 13th November 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

So do the flash units not work at all then Naticle? Was it those that blew when you turned them on? If you purchased two softboxes, what are the flash units that you purchased to use them with?

Also, if you can get them to work, you're best to use 'M' manual mode. Set the shutter speed to around 1/160th (you can set the flash sync speed in the menu somewhere), then you can experiment with the aperture as Ian suggests, to get less depth of field, but don't forget when you increase the aperture on the camera, you will need to decrease the power output of the flash units to offset more light hitting the sensor.

Here's a rough guide to positioning of camera/flash units etc I created that might be useful.

Old 13th November 2008
Naticle

I turned it on & BANG I assume it was the globe? I will test out my other globe to check it. Buy cheap by twice eh. I didn't buy any flash units. I had my flash on the camera. Would it be better to set it up as a slave?

Thanks for that diagram that is great!
Old 13th November 2008

Liked 1,528 Times in 978 Posts

Your daughter's perfection, Naticle!

I've got two grown up daughters and I've always said that it would have been nice to have been able to put something in their food to keep them at your daughter's age!

To the photograph:

It would be nice if there were catchlights in her eyes. I would also have cropped to just below the shoulders.

Jim
Old 13th November 2008
Naticle

Why thank you Jim, She's 2.5 & some days that perfection has left the building lol I look at my 5 month old son & think these are the easy days!

I agree with you on both accounts if in a studio how do you get catchlights in a studio set up? I agree with the crop suggestion.
Old 13th November 2008

Liked 1,528 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naticle View Post
Why thank you Jim, She's 2.5 & some days that perfection has left the building
In fact, if the portrait you took of her is a typical 'look', I'd say she could earn you money as a child model - I don't know what others think. If she can earn money as a child model, take advantage of it before she starts costing you too much! ;^)

Quote:
I agree with you on both accounts if in a studio how do you get catchlights in a studio set up?
I don't know - I'm no expert at these things, but just thought catchlights would add some sparkle to her special look. I've tried it in Photoshop, but not been convinced by the results. Maybe others can suggest how to do it.

I reckon you should take lots more, improve your technique and build up a portfolio to show to an agency.

Jim
Old 13th November 2008
Naticle

TY Yes that is her this was candid studio she is sassy & cheeky as any 2.5 year old She was demanding "mummy take a picture" Thank goodness I need to practise!

I think after talking to my husband he suggested a macro flash/ring flash

I have to work on it!
Old 13th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: My first attempt at Studio

Lovely photos wish my two were that small again or maybe i was younger as well

Mick

Petroleums Hey
retired oil boiler
Old 14th November 2008
scanny

two lovely pictures Naticle!

Out of intrest what studio flash kit did you opt for, i have been toying with the idea of getting one?

Steve
Old 14th November 2008
Naticle

Hi
I bought this
Studio Kit

I also took this what do you think of the composition? Shame I cut my sons arm off eh!
Old 27th November 2008

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naticle View Post
Why thank you Jim, She's 2.5 & some days that perfection has left the building lol I look at my 5 month old son & think these are the easy days!

I agree with you on both accounts if in a studio how do you get catchlights in a studio set up? I agree with the crop suggestion.
If you look at your original, you will see there are catchlights there, just not very obvious.If you use photoshop, blow the eye up really big and you will see the highlight covers afew pixels. Use a soft paintbrush of about 1-2 pixels, select white as colour and 50% coverage. Then just highlight the pixels using the different coloured pixels as a guide.
This way, you get a very natural highlight.

The portrait is beautiful, she is a lovely model.